Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214155 times)

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2009, 11:51:40 pm »

Er, sorry if I'm being bothersome, but I think my questions were skipped... they're a few posts back. Basically:

1. I don't have any rivers or magma pits. How can I use my bridge to kill people (read: friggin' migrants) more easily? (Crushing is difficult - it's so small that I only have one tile long crush-space, so it's hard to lure people in)

2. Why did my migrant die of thirst while drowning in 4/7 to 5/7 water?

Also, I have another question:
3. How can I make a decent waterfall without access to rivers? (I do have murky pools though)

1: Make several bridges 1 tile long and however many tiles you need it to be to span the width of your entrance hall, and build several of them in strips along your hall. Like this:

Code: [Select]
##|===|## <--bridge
##|===|## <--another bridge
##|===|##
##|===|## <-more bridges
##|===|##

Link them all up to one lever. When they close, the bridges will all become solid tiles and crush anything on them. No chance they'll survive it, unless you let some slip past. You can also make a retractable bridge over a deep pit.

2: You probably wouldn't think about drinking if you were drowning, would you? Or are you asking why he didn't drown? Dwarves will prefer to swim in 4-depth water, but it's not drowning-depth. Dwarves will only drown in 5-depth water or higher, and they only have to be in shallower water for a moment to get a breath of air. Your dwarf might have gained some swimming skill by thrashing around in there too, which will allow him to stay afloat in drowning-depth water. Dwarves only need novice skill in swimming to do this so it's not entirely unlikely. I suggest you add more water and build a floor over the pool - IIRC dwarves can't breathe in drowning-depth water if there isn't open air above them, even if the water isn't completely full below it.

3: If your map has plenty of rain, water should be a renewable resource. Evaporation is the enemy here though, never let the pools get below 2 units deep or water can start to evaporate in the pools. Once that happens, rain might not be able to replenish them fast enough before it evaporates. I suggest you channel around a pool until the water spreads out a little and reaches 2-level depth, wait for it to fill up, and then repeat until you have a large pool. This will be your buffer zone. The bigger it is, the better, and if you can find a way to make it deeper as well as wider, all the better. Again, never drain it below 2 units. Pump the water into a cistern whatever size you need it, if the water in your buffer gets low you'll have to wait for it to rain and pump some more. The cistern will most likely have to be slightly smaller than the buffer to compensate for the water left behind in the channel, otherwise you won't have enough to fill it to 2 units. Keep the cistern as full as possible at all times It's kind of a pain but it should work. Once you've done that dump it out of the cistern whenever you need to.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:56 pm »

Oh wow, thanks everyone!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2009, 12:07:02 am »

the beds are designated as bedrooms and reachable, its just that sometimes dwarves just sleep somewere else when there are free, usable bedrooms available (only not assigned to a person)
Odd. You said you had only ~50 population, so the economy shouldn't be active yet, so I can't think of any reason why your dwarves wouldn't sleep in them.

guard dogs, (wardogs) just don't seem to like wanting to bite kobolds to death or goblins for that matter, so I had to resort to military guards.
Killing kobolds isn't really important so long as you detect them before they get to your stockpiles. Once a thief is detected, it'll immediately attempt to run off the map.

Your guard dogs (I prefer hunting dogs, since they occasionally detect from 2 tiles away which has helped me save their lives sometimes) should be far enough out that you have time to put your soldiers on duty and have them get intercept the invaders before they can cause any trouble. The dogs themselves aren't intended to hurt or kill anything, they're just expendable, reliable in the sense of not needing food or sleep, sentries. Military guards, traps, or a way to seal your fort are all still essential, even if you have them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2009, 12:13:49 am »

Alright, I'm trying to mod unicorns to spawn everywhere so that regardless of where you embark there will be bloodthirsty unicorns waiting.

What I'm confused about is the layering. If I remove the tag altogether, will it suddenly be resistant to climates? Or is there some way I can set the layering and homeotherm so it will settle virtually anywhere?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 16, 2009, 12:25:55 am »

guard dogs, (wardogs) just don't seem to like wanting to bite kobolds to death or goblins for that matter, so I had to resort to military guards.

The military on guard are really the best option. I prefer to rotate the squads between active duty per season so they don't get pissy.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 16, 2009, 12:44:02 am »

o.O

How do i get teh seed for my world that i am currently playing in, best world so far (in the geo) and want to re make it with my added modded stuff.
So how do i get the seed (not the history)
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 16, 2009, 02:29:31 am »

I have a question about vertical axles. How do you get power to them? Does the gearbox have to be on top of the axle or next to it? My current set up looks like this:

~wwwwww~
~wwwwww~
~wwwwww~
.....*==*....
...........o....

The w's are water wheels, and the o is the vertical axle, just to be clear. Anyway, the power isn't reaching the axle in this set up. Is there a different way it should be built?

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2009, 03:33:35 am »

Assuming the o is a vertical axle... it needs to be above or below the gear assembly. Horizontal axles transfer power only horizontally (who'd have guessed) while vertical axles only work vertically :P
You need to think 3dimensional for dwarf fortress. If you want to transport power on the same z-level, use horizontal axles, changing their orientation with . N/S stands for north/south (probably what you wanted in your example) and E/W for east/west (what you already built). Vertical axles are used to transfer power over several z-levels and need to be above or below gear assemblies (or pumps, i think)

@silhouette:
You need to make a copy of your world (just copy the whole folder in the save directory) abandon your fort there, go into legends mode and press <p>. Now there is a text file "regionxyz-world_gen_param.txt" in your df main folder. It contains all the world gen info.
It's highly unprobable though that you can generate the same world again, only with your mods. The raws have a very big influence on worldgen. Modding in another kind of bonobo can actually change the whole geography of a site while using the same seeds.
You can still change existing RAW-entries with out regenning the world. Only adding in new stuff needs a regen
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2009, 03:39:12 am »

o.O

How do i get teh seed for my world that i am currently playing in, best world so far (in the geo) and want to re make it with my added modded stuff.
So how do i get the seed (not the history)
Go into legends mode and press 'p' (if memory serves right) to export some information about your world in the DF folder. There should be a text file called "region#-world_gen_param" with all the world info, including the seed.
I have a question about vertical axles. How do you get power to them? Does the gearbox have to be on top of the axle or next to it? My current set up looks like this:

~wwwwww~
~wwwwww~
~wwwwww~
.....*==*....
...........o....

The w's are water wheels, and the o is the vertical axle, just to be clear. Anyway, the power isn't reaching the axle in this set up. Is there a different way it should be built?
Yeah, that won't work. Axles will only transfer power in a straight line, merely being adjacent to it isn't sufficient to transfer power. You have to stick gears on the ends of them. Which makes sense, if you picture how a wheel and axle work. The end part of an axle can be stuck anywhere on a gear and you can stick any number of axles on a gear, which is how you transfer power around corners. In this case I would replace the gear north of the vertical axle with a horizontal axle oriented along the N/S axis (just press 's' to change the orientation) and replace the vertical axle with a gear. Having two gears adjacent to each other is fine too if you need to, but axles are far more efficient for transferring power in a straight line.

EDIT: Ehh, looks like there's some stuff you need connected that I didn't see somehow. Disregard that, just replace the verticle axle with a gear and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:53:09 am by Amalgam »

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:49 am »

Thank you. I managed to make it work by removing the vertical axle and replacing it with a gear. My set up is now transferring power to where I need it.  :D

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 16, 2009, 04:11:56 am »

Alright, I'm trying to mod unicorns to spawn everywhere so that regardless of where you embark there will be bloodthirsty unicorns waiting.

What I'm confused about is the layering. If I remove the tag altogether, will it suddenly be resistant to climates? Or is there some way I can set the layering and homeotherm so it will settle virtually anywhere?

At least make sure it has [BIOME:ANY_LAND]. I haven't noticed homeotherm having an effect on spawning, but it might  because I haven't settled in very cold regions with my modded creatures yet.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:44 am »

@ Amalgam.
Ty for the answer, although by the time you did i already found it out by another method... that ones intresint to, ill use that as thats easier..

Also my previous question wasnt answered i dont think...

How do i make races like humans as in they set up towns.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 16, 2009, 05:13:57 am »

The token you are looking for is DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE and the variable should be CITY. I hope that helps.

That's how you make other races set up towns. [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE: CITY]

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 16, 2009, 05:22:45 am »

ahh ty, musta missed it.
---

sono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 16, 2009, 11:25:06 am »

My Miner will not mine anymore after putting on a backpack and waterskin. I have since set them to not carry any supplies (since i plan to solve this differently anyway, basically i was just fooling around.)
However, the miner will not discard the backpack and waterskin. At least i assume that is causing his inability to pick up one of the picks i got a'aplenty.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 181