Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214097 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 15, 2009, 02:28:58 am »

Can an Artifact be further improved by encrusting with Gems or studding with Metal? I suspect not.

Does a Masterwork Anvil improve a Blacksmith's skills? Does it even give him a happy thought for admiring it while working? Again, I suspect not.
Never pet a burning dog.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 15, 2009, 02:35:17 am »

Disregard.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:36:55 am by Kethas »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 15, 2009, 02:48:15 am »

Different question: I'm pretty sure underground rivers have a z-level of "air pocket" above them (i.e. damp stone on z-level 1, water on z-level 2, open space on z-level 3, nondamp stone on z-level 4). Do magma pipes (not vents - e.g. magma pipes that fail to break the surface and are not visible upon embark) have such an air pocket? I ask because I'm considering how to scout for them when I know there's a pipe somewhere on the map, but not exactly where - is it safe to dig stairs straight down, or will my dwarf, failing to find warm stone and digging stairs out of the last z-level of rock, plummet past the one z-level of air into the magma?
Totally subterranean magma pipes always have an open level, wider than the pipe mouth itself, above the highest z-level of the magma. It is safe to dig straight down in the center of each 48x48 block to hunt for magma pipes, since magma features always and without fail cover the center of their block; miners won't fall into open space just because they dug a staircase into it.

Can an Artifact be further improved by encrusting with Gems or studding with Metal? I suspect not.
Not that I know of.

Does a Masterwork Anvil improve a Blacksmith's skills? Does it even give him a happy thought for admiring it while working? Again, I suspect not.
Don't think so, but since I'm pretty sure anvils are, bar for bar, the most valuable thing you can make out of iron, steel, and adamantine (more than plate mail, even, since you can place anvils) it might not be a bad idea to make them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 15, 2009, 03:01:59 am »

This is slightly frustrating. I have a dwarf in my brook. I accidentally caved in a section of brook while channeling for a few water wheels. I just dug a ramp and the dwarf came right up out of the brook. That part was simple. Now I have another dwarf in the brook. He's thirsty and hungry now and won't leave. I have two ramps and a set of stairs that he could use. But he doesn't.

Any idea how to get him to go eat or drink?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:51:51 am by Iverum »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 15, 2009, 05:37:55 am »

I have no clue what you are saying...
you mean IN THE RIVER?
or ON the river?
I am so confused...

Anyway...

What is the thing that makes humans make towns.
I want to make a new type of dwarf (merchant dwarves) that are exactly like normal dwarves but instead make towns (like humans).
(Reasons for this un dwarfy behaviour is im sick of only having human towns and no other races towns. And as far as i know there is no way to make dwarves make proper shops and stuff in their randomly built fortresses (that have no use except to sit there and look sorta pretty...)
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 15, 2009, 05:50:43 am »

So, a brook works differently than a river. It has a floor of sorts over the water, and the water under this floor is generally only 2 deep or so. I channeled out this floor to put some water wheels in. A dwarf is now in this lower level and will not exit it, despite having multiple ways to do so, including two ramps and a set of stairs.

The token you are looking for is DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE and the variable should be CITY. I hope that helps.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 15, 2009, 01:25:10 pm »

This is slightly frustrating. I have a dwarf in my brook. I accidentally caved in a section of brook while channeling for a few water wheels. I just dug a ramp and the dwarf came right up out of the brook. That part was simple. Now I have another dwarf in the brook. He's thirsty and hungry now and won't leave. I have two ramps and a set of stairs that he could use. But he doesn't.

Have you tried drafting him into the Military and stationing him up on land at the top of the ramp? Of course... if he's already unhappy, drafting him might tip him over the edge into a tantrum, but it's better than drowning.
Never pet a burning dog.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 15, 2009, 01:30:31 pm »

Now I have another dwarf in the brook. He's thirsty and hungry now and won't leave. I have two ramps and a set of stairs that he could use. But he doesn't.

I'm confused how a dwarf "in the brook" managed to live long enough to get hungry and thirsty without drowning. Posting a save would let us take a look at the situation ourselves.

So, a brook works differently than a river. It has a floor of sorts over the water, and the water under this floor is generally only 2 deep or so. I channeled out this floor to put some water wheels in. A dwarf is now in this lower level and will not exit it, despite having multiple ways to do so, including two ramps and a set of stairs.

I've never seen water tiles in a brook have less than 7/7 water, except at the side of the map where the brook flow leaves the map, where you will occasionally see 6/7. (This is how you determine the direction of flow of a brook.) Not entirely sure where (and why) you saw brook tiles with 2/7 water.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »

I'm confused how a dwarf "in the brook" managed to live long enough to get hungry and thirsty without drowning.

In one of my own Forts, I had a Dwarf survive being trapped in the brook for so long that he learned to Swim.

It was a special case, though... I had just connected my Moat to the brook, and while the Moat was filling with water, the brook was varying between 4/7 and 6/7, for quite a long time.
Never pet a burning dog.

Iverum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 15, 2009, 02:33:45 pm »

My brook seems to be bugged then. I have quite few tiles that are 4/7 or less. I got impatient and let him die. Small price to pay. I have a back up save that I'll link to so you can see this for yourself if you wish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zdgjedavomm

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 15, 2009, 03:11:21 pm »

Why are my dwarves so friggin' lazy? Out of 17 dwarves, 4 are sleeping or resting and 3 are eating. Only a few are actually doing anything. I never had this problem before my horrific tantrum spiral, is that it?

EDIT: Mon dieu, more than half my dwarves are doing extraneous things! FOOD AND WATER ARE FOR WUSSES, YOU GUYS. STOP IT.

EDIT2: Also, I think my statues are getting suspended because dwarves do half of them and then run off to take a rest. Is there some way to make it so that when dwarves stop a certain job, they don't suspend it but just leave it for another dwarf?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 03:15:00 pm by Cheddarius »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 15, 2009, 03:39:18 pm »

1. No.

2. No, but he gets a happy thought for admiring it as he tries to hammer around and between the menacing spikes, bands, hanging rings, and images of itself.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 15, 2009, 07:14:56 pm »

Can flooding penetrate locked doors?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 15, 2009, 07:22:44 pm »

No.

However, kobolds CAN, so it's best to wall off the door that's holding back the highly pressurised water so they don't sneak all the way in and open it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 15, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »

Great! Thanks for the advice - I probably don't need to worry about kobolds, though, because it's pretty deep in my fortress (where kobolds will basically never get to) and it's only from a murky pool anyway. Even if it was opened full blast, I don't think it'd kill anyone (except the friggin' migrants in the chasm I'm aiming it to).
Thanks again!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 181