Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 213997 times)

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 09, 2009, 03:15:53 am »

On another note, if I build a floor over my aboveground barracks, will that negate the cave adaptation canceling effects it has, or will it be just fine?

No, your military will be practicing in a "inside light aboveground" environment.  Cave adaption will be fended off because of the "light aboveground" part.  Once a tile has been revealed to the sun, it can never be subterranean again.  Something about that dratted sun.

You can do the same with your refuse stockpile so dwarves don't have to venture into danger to throw away a XXPig Tail SockXX.
Ah good. I knew about the not changing back to subterranean, but just wasn't sure if "Inside light aboveground" would keep them, somehow, from not cave adapting. Since it doesn't, I shall give them a roof. Thank you.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 09, 2009, 03:52:11 am »

Question for yagrum or anyone whos made a towercap farm.
Can towercaps grow when there is stone on the tile.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 09, 2009, 04:14:25 am »

Can towercaps grow when there is stone on the tile.

That's a negative, they cannot.  You've got to clear it all out.  If you don't want the work, dig out the TC farm area in soil or sand.  If you don't have any of that, you can use any of the techniques on this page:
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Stone_management

I tend to build a few drawbridges and use them for atom-smashing.  If I'm near a pit of some sort (magma pipe, chasm, bottomless pit) I might chuck them down there instead, depending on dwarfpower and distance.

My own question
How the heck do I make a hyperlink in my post?  A word that can be clicked instead of a URL.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:17:30 am by Yagrum Bagarn »
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 09, 2009, 04:46:22 am »

Damn thought so.
Nah ild rather keep all the stone intact in little corners to use later..

Ild rather expand on what my sig says..
The damn fortress of rock crafts.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 09, 2009, 08:51:04 am »

What are the benefits to playing multiple fortresses in the same world gen besides the ability to reclaim fortresses later and to be able to visit them in adventure mode?

Zaibusa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:04 am »

Do Zombie Giant Cave Spiders create a Web?
Because i accidently just killed one in my Fortress without finding any

new day, new chance

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 09, 2009, 10:06:25 am »

And as for the name, I was surprised it wasn't taken.  I just switched from "balath" the other day.  I usually use the name "Balathustrius," from a relatively obscure video game, but there's already a very active one on these boards.  To use the short version seemed a bit cheap, so I switched.

(Lords of Magic ftw)

FlexibleDogma

• Bay Watcher
  • xGiant Cave Spider Silk Sockx Merchant
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 09, 2009, 11:08:59 am »

My own question
How the heck do I make a hyperlink in my post?  A word that can be clicked instead of a URL.

I link to google.
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.google.com]I link to google.[/url]

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 09, 2009, 12:31:28 pm »

It will drain off the edge of the map eventually, regardless of where you dump the water.  If it comes into contact with an edge, it will drain off.  If you want to flood your map many z-levels deep, you'll have to wall/drawbridge off the edges.
I did know that, though it was very late last night so I guess I didn't indicate that. I guess what I'm wanting to ask is whether the lake edge-tiles will eat water like normal edge tiles, since they're also water sources?

I suppose I'll just have to seal over the original lake top with bridges, hide them, and then build the drawbridge-wall around the edges. Yet another complication to the project  ::)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 09, 2009, 04:11:50 pm »

What are the benefits to playing multiple fortresses in the same world gen besides the ability to reclaim fortresses later and to be able to visit them in adventure mode?

Right now, I'm not sure I can think of anything mechanical.  I think you can get engravings in new fortresses of your old exploits.

This is a feature that will become more fun the longer you play.  It means that losing isn't losing.

I try to think of this game not as a world generator, but as a story generator, to paraphrase something I saw posted on this forum.

Edit: As the game develops, I think there'll be more and more incentive to use the same world.

(Lords of Magic ftw)

Yup.

I link to google.
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.google.com]I link to google.[/url]

Thanks so much.  I thought I tried that, but I must have botched my attempt.

I guess what I'm wanting to ask is whether the lake edge-tiles will eat water like normal edge tiles, since they're also water sources?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'll second your question.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:19:48 pm by Yagrum Bagarn »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2009, 05:32:20 pm »

My count likes barrels, and pig iron. He's started mandating both at once.

He won't try and mandate pig iron barrels, will he?
I mean, I don't want to have to kill him. He's easy to please.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2009, 06:34:09 pm »

He won't try and mandate pig iron barrels, will he?

I've never had a noble mandate a particular item out of a material that it can't be made from.  If they want something bismuth or pig iron, I've always just seen "pig iron items (x/x)."

That's just personal experience, though.

New Messages

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2009, 06:48:03 pm »

I hope i'm not breaking any rules, but I have a few questions.

I just downloaded the game, and generated a world. I found a place that looks like a nice place to start (warm, next to a river, calm), but I have no idea what would be the best way to prepare the game (specialize the dwarves, supplies to bring, etc), and would thank you if you could give me a list of sugestions.

Also, I tried starting the game, but couldn't do a thing. I have no idea how to make the dwarves build walls, mine, build roofs, or do anything. I tried assigning some simple orders to try to learn how to make them do stuff, but they didn't do any of them. Can anyone help me with that? I checked the stickied begginer's tutorial thread, but it was more like a walkthrough, so, I decided not to use them.

Also, I've heard there's a tileset that makes the game easier to understand. Can anyone give me a safe and relyable download link?

thanks in advance.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2009, 07:03:43 pm »

Welcome New Messages.  Welcome to the learning cliff.  It's so much Fun.

If your dwarves won't do what you order done, make sure you have the corresponding labor turned on for at least one dwarf.  To get to the labor screen, select a dwarf with the [v] key, press [p], then [l] (lower case L).  If you want someone to dig, make sure they have mining turned on (and they have access to a pick!).  The wiki has listings for every profession and the associated labor (not all of them are obvious).

On the wiki you'll also find articles that tell you how to start your first fortress.  Don't worry if they come off as a walkthrough - there's no way to really write a walkthrough for this game.  It's too open.  And trust me, You'll either lose or abandon your first fortress.  Either way, when you start a new one you'll quickly realize how much you learned about fortress design and efficiency when you begin digging your second (and third, fourth, and fifth).

I used this article to get started.  It was just informative enough to avoid feeling like a walkthrough, but it helped me make good initial decisions.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:05:14 pm by Yagrum Bagarn »

pluckcitizen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2009, 07:04:47 pm »

Thanks for your response Yagrum. I want to keep playing the same world, but I keep discovering cool mods that I want to permanently play with, resulting in another gen.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 181