Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 213877 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2490 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:43 pm »

5000 years took me half a day.
That is new.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kruz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 18, 2010, 04:10:11 pm »

What are the keys for navigating z-levels in the new version? It was shift + . and shift + , in the old. I can't find it in keybindings in the options.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 18, 2010, 04:12:26 pm »

< and >
also (I think) numpad 5 and shift + numpad 5
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Kruz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:00 pm »

Thanks! :)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 18, 2010, 06:20:55 pm »

That's clearly a bug, but a very interesting one.  Does anyone know how to reproduce it?

I ask because I'm very interested in whether this dwarf-in-stasis can prevent the fortress from ever being destroyed.  In fact, could you post your save please?

I wouldn't do that, since I am using an unholy combination of my own modding products to change almost everything. The only change to Dwarves is just a little bit of DamBlock (it's a dangerous world). I doubt that's what is causing it though.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 18, 2010, 06:25:42 pm »

Shade-o, I've had a bug like that happen to me before. I think it has something to do with being severely injured but also being superdwarvenly tough, so that they don't fall unconscious from injuries. It puts them in the weird kind of stasis you describe where they don't require any food or water and they don't rest ever.

Knocking them out with cave-in dust usually solves the problem.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

fenrirfenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:57 pm »

A herd of elephants just wandered by my fort and I found myself in dire need of war elephants. How do I tame animals? The 'tame large animal' option for the kennels doesn't seem to do anything.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 18, 2010, 08:08:38 pm »

Does it matter if you build a road chunk by chunk, or does it all have to be built at once?

Mendtos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 18, 2010, 08:16:07 pm »

So.. my craftsdorf is acting fey and is demanding stone bars and body parts. I slaughtered a bull, made a ton of stone blocks, some iron bars, and am preparing some turtles right now to get some shells. If this doesn't appease him is there any hope or should I just lock the door and slate it as a bug?

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:02 pm »

A herd of elephants just wandered by my fort and I found myself in dire need of war elephants. How do I tame animals? The 'tame large animal' option for the kennels doesn't seem to do anything.
You have to build cage traps to catch them first. Make sure your elephants are in cages and you have an animal trainer that isn't doing anything.

Does it matter if you build a road chunk by chunk, or does it all have to be built at once?
If you're building actual paved roads, having chunks might be unsightly with the building menu, but otherwise it doesn't make any difference.

Mendtos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: May 18, 2010, 08:21:50 pm »

So.. my craftsdorf is acting fey and is demanding stone bars and body parts. I slaughtered a bull, made a ton of stone blocks, some iron bars, and am preparing some turtles right now to get some shells. If this doesn't appease him is there any hope or should I just lock the door and slate it as a bug?

The shells did it. Thanks for anyone who was on the way with a reply!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: May 18, 2010, 08:43:49 pm »

You have to build cage traps to catch them first. Make sure your elephants are in cages and you have an animal trainer that isn't doing anything.

Then if you want to train them into literal War Elephants, you'll need to give them the [TRAINABLE] or [TRAINABLE_WAR] token in creature_large_tropical.txt (they're the first animal).

Surprisingly to me, elephants are tamable without even a dungeon master!  I'm not experienced with taming.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

infernalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: May 19, 2010, 09:27:36 am »

2 questions:

1. What can u milk exactly(i.e. pet cows)?
2. Sometime a simple job, like (b)uild -> (c)hair will get suspended infinetely, even though the dwarf responsible has the chair ""on him" and it's status is 'no job'. A bug?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: May 19, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

If anything prevents the job from competing, the most common cause of which is an item occupying the tile, will suspend the task. You have to manually unsuspend it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:36 am »

So far I found that "train-war-animal" only trains stray dogs, no matter how many tame Wolves / Camels / X I have in stock (even if i have no free dogs). Bummer :( . I assume you used to be able to make a War-Anything if it was tame?

*EDIT* Sorry this is for 2010, missed other thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:20:23 pm by hjd_uk »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 181