Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214044 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2340 on: April 28, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »

So a question about 40d, is it possible for the philosopher noble to ever marry?

Moth Bones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »

Thanks. I've not found any magma yet, but have plenty of trees.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 28, 2010, 01:36:16 pm »

So a question about 40d, is it possible for the philosopher noble to ever marry?

It is. I've had a couple married philosophers.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 28, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »

Don't make the mistake of expecting every dwarf to marry. As in real life, you're gonna get some spinsters and confirmed bachelors among your dwarves. My current fort is in its 40th year and I estimate that around 1/4 (out of 58) of my dwarves are living alone.

I've drafted one girl (barely 12 or 13) when she was romantically involved with a guy. She soon became a legendary champion and they never married, despite having remained lovers (if their profiles are to be believed) for around 25 years. This most likely has to do with her military status; I'm almost positive that they would have tied the knot long ago, had she remained a civilian.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:55 pm »

It's not some obscure, undefined mystery. The more time two dwarves spend together, the further along their relationship will progress (if both are single and compatible). Drafting one and keeping her on duty (or even both, on different squads) is almost a sure way of keeping them apart (and, obviously, single). The opposite is also true, which explains dwarves in the same squads or on the same work detail (like your miners) having a high tendency to become romantically involved.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 28, 2010, 02:58:25 pm »

That's all well and good, but apparently getting married requires a dwarf to be a civilian. It must be one of those jobs a soldier can't do, like... almost everything. Including things like storing owned items.

How else would you explain the fact that even though my dwarves had been idling for most of the last 10 years (I barely lay anymore, just letting the game run in the background) and still my last pair of lovers hasn't married? I'm not questioning the overall guidelines you've given (spending time together, having compatible personalities); what I'm saying is that being in the military seems to keep a dwarf from marrying.

Tarot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: May 07, 2010, 01:54:11 pm »

Anyone know how to assign Dwarves to the Fortress Guard (and, eventually, Royal Guard) in 2010?  The preferences menu doesn't display the option like it used to, and I'm not sure how to manage it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: May 07, 2010, 01:57:28 pm »

First: This is for 40d questions. There's a thread for 2010 questions as well.

Anyway, I believe I heard that Fortress Guard and Royal Guard don't exist anymore. There's no reason for them to exist, since you can simply program a squad to perform their function. I don't know why you would want to place a bunch of dwarves permanently outside of your control anyway (a huge bug with the old Guard system).
The sigs topic:

Tarot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: May 07, 2010, 02:17:19 pm »

Teaches me not to look through the forum thoroughly before posting.  >_>  Thanks for the answer, though.  Was worried I was needlessly ticking off the nobles, with their mandates of doom.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: May 07, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

Ah, yea, them. Well, stick em in a golden room or some BS and they'll be fairly happy. Lock the Hammerer up and don't appoint a Sheriff, and they'll still remain ecstatic while their mandates remain meaningless.

At least, in 40d. I don't know for sure about the "justice" system in .31.
The sigs topic:

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: May 07, 2010, 08:40:11 pm »

One of my champions randomly died, said he bled to death, now I can't really find his corpse or any evidence but there is no way he was outside, I have had them set to off duty and training them all up, is it most likely there was a training accident with the battle axes ?. Playing 40d btw. Bloody things... I have been training 11 guys for along time now, I got them all legendary wrestling and they all became champions, then started on axe training, I guess 1 dead isn't much of a loss lol.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: May 07, 2010, 09:05:06 pm »

Sounds like a training accident, yeah.  Champions are much less likely to injure each other training, particularly if they're also legendary wrestlers, but it still happens.  That's why people buy wooden weapons or make silver ones.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: May 08, 2010, 02:15:43 am »

40d question, my dwarves are refusing to bury all the cat corpses left behind when I decimated the fort's pet population through df companion, I'd have used a more tradition method like spikes or bridge over lava but many have the pet owners also had children which I did not want to kill. Anyone have any idea why the corpses aren't being buried? The horse and donkey corpses were but they just lump the cat corpses into stockpiles, I have around 30 idlers all with burial enabled just standing around. Yes they can path to the coffins.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: May 08, 2010, 02:27:59 am »

Sadly cats do not get buried in 40d. Same thing with war dogs.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: May 08, 2010, 02:35:55 am »

Cat-apults are definitely the way to go. And by that I mean a bridge leading to a spot over a chasm or suitably deadly place (shed a tear for chasms not currently being available!), where you station Urist McCatlover until their evil miasma-spreading parasite comes by to show off its tortured prey. Then you Tightly Close the door and have someone pull the lever to fling the cat to its doom (and off-map, saving cleanup and rot feelings!)

I once had a cat owner catch his pet, which was randomly flung straight at him. It knocked him down, but the cat was safe. Of course, not being sentimental about sprites, I just had the lever pulled again. But it was damn cool.

There's no need to genocide cats in the new version, unless perhaps if you are facing catsplosion or you want to capture all of your vermin alive. Rotting vermin remains don't produce miasma now and catpathing in small numbers isn't a significant drain on FPS.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 181