Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214381 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2130 on: March 20, 2010, 01:50:34 pm »

Probably been answered dozens of times: Does altering the popcap in init.txt require a re-embark or just a relaunch of the game?

Just a relaunch, thankfully.

Thank Armok for the moments he decides to be merciful. . . ;)

Thanks for the quick response.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: March 20, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »

Say I wanted to mod axes to do half slashing and half bludgeoning damage. Would this work right?

(ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE)
(NAME:battle axe:battle axes)
(DAMAGE:55:SLASH)
(DAMAGE:55:BLUDGEON)
(WEIGHT:80)
(SKILL:AXE)
(TWO_HANDED:4)
(MINIMUM_SIZE:4)
(MATERIAL_SIZE:4)

The parentheses would be replaced with brackets, of course.

Also, would the lower damage values make the weapon less effective? I want to add the additional damage type without actually making axes stronger.
If I had to guess I'd say this won't work; usually in the RAWS when you have a double line it either picks the last one or picks randomly.  It's definitely worth a shot, though, and you just might discover something new.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: March 20, 2010, 03:49:04 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:51:54 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »

That's a good idea.  Magma definitely works that way: reveal makes it impossible to get the announcement and magma buildings don't become available.  Clownite and the king should be the same.

If you want, you can later 'hide' a tile with some app (maybe dtil) which will cause the announcement and summon the king.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:35 pm »

You could also use a utility to reveal just the clownite tiles, although if you're going to be digging through a lot of it before working on the centrepiece then it'll get tedious very quickly.

Another idea is to find out where the clownite and big top are, and then designate the area in such a way that you dig around it all until you're ready.

Mostly I'm just suggesting those because I find a Revealed map to be ugly as sin. :)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:43 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:52:26 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: March 20, 2010, 07:38:14 pm »

Is it true that when your fortress becomes a mountainhome, you can abandon it and it will still be functioning/normal fortress when encountered in adventure mode?
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: March 20, 2010, 08:43:38 pm »

Did someone tell you that, or did you just sort of come up with it on your own?

It's definitely something I have never heard of, and I'm quite certain that all dwarves die when you abandon.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: March 20, 2010, 08:45:00 pm »

I've heard claims to that effect, but it seems to be one of those "I think it's true because other people think it's true" things.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: March 20, 2010, 08:49:05 pm »

It's definitely something I have never heard of, and I'm quite certain that all dwarves die when you abandon.

They most certainly do not die when you abandon. If you abandon while under siege, they all die, but not during normal abandons. You can read about their flight from your fortress in Legends.

After abandonment, your dwarves form a migratory group. They may settle at another site after a bit of wandering.

If your fortress was a mountainhome, I don't know if your dwarves stick around there. From what I've heard, the king becomes the leader of the migratory group, but I don't know what happens after.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: March 20, 2010, 08:58:51 pm »

Ah, well that's a lot more detailed and useful information than I could give. I only returned to an abandoned site once, and there happened to be a few sieging humans around. I've seen various posts of other fortresses where the blood of dead dwarves was smeared all over the walls as well, but I wasn't aware that it only happened if you were under siege.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: March 20, 2010, 09:25:52 pm »

I've been ordering my cook to cook some easy meals, but he's made only a few hundred (as opposed to the thousand drinks my brewer has probably made) and has barely leveled. All his cook easy meal - repeat orders get canceled quite quickly; it's usually because the job item was lost or destroyed. One time it was because he needed two unrotten cookable items, even though we were swimming in booze. What's going on?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: March 20, 2010, 09:54:39 pm »

I've been ordering my cook to cook some easy meals, but he's made only a few hundred (as opposed to the thousand drinks my brewer has probably made) and has barely leveled. All his cook easy meal - repeat orders get canceled quite quickly; it's usually because the job item was lost or destroyed. One time it was because he needed two unrotten cookable items, even though we were swimming in booze. What's going on?

I don't know about the last thing, refusing to cook the booze, unless you disabled the cooking of the boozes in the Kitchen menu and forgot.
The "job item was lost or destroyed" happens to me all the time.  I think dwarves are eating the ingredients.  Putting the kitchen and ingredients far out of the way may help prevent that.  Even better is to cook uneatable items, like dwarven syrup.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: March 20, 2010, 10:15:44 pm »

Hmmm, all right. Thanks!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: March 20, 2010, 10:40:05 pm »

Oh, and using the job manager to set up a few dozen "Prepare 30 easy meal" items might be less hassle than refilling the kitchen's queue all the time.

Just realized something odd.  I think my cook refuses to prepare a lavish meal if there aren't four different ingredients available.  Seems odd since they often use the same ingredient four times.  Maybe I'm just mistaken.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 181