Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214220 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1755 on: February 19, 2010, 12:30:33 pm »

I wonder if custom created vermin-sized cows are milkable?

I'm sure I've seen vermin-sized cows mentioned somewhere, but the fact that I don't remember reading about anyone following through with that experiment doesn't let me expect much.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: February 19, 2010, 12:41:42 pm »

Bingo, I remember NOT creating a downstair... Btw when building a ramp, he got unlocked

I love you people, how it feels to be so smart everytime  ;D

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:51 pm »

Sorry, I don't know what the problem was without seeing what you did to the raws ;)

Probably just a bug that wasn't your fault anyway. Whatever creatures the elves bring seems somewhat randomized. I hope someone with more experience has a better answer, like "They bring things from biomes their civilization has settled in" or something like that. I just don't know.

I'm thinking at this point that the types of creatures they bring are definitely affected by what type of environment their civ is in. Judging by the fact they are bringing all the animals that occur in my own biome I'm guessing they're in exactly the same kind of environment as me, which means at best I can get eagles, wolves and cougars - real shame as I really wanted some other exotics :(. I don't suppose there's the possibility of other elves coming from much further away later? Or perhaps elves in different biomes trading between each other and then passing things on down to my dwarfs through the group i trade with?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »

Btw, how do you plan to make reactions which produce actual milk? You cannot use buckets in the smelter.
That is true. I know that liquids can be dumped out of containers, and they will still exist as usable objects. It's worth a shot.
They will be just puddles and dwarves will clean them.

I have a question regarding Giant Eagles, I managed to buy a couple off the Elves and got a message that some giant eagle hatchlings had been born but I can't find them anywhere in my units list, animals list, cage add list or just looking round on the map. How do they work exactly? Does this mean the female has laid eggs and I have to wait for them to hatch? Or perhaps a bug that they didn't appear?
I am a bit terrified by the thought, but was the mother eagle flying above? If so, check the "corpse" list. And yum yum, giant eagle biscuits.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:37:19 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: February 19, 2010, 02:02:37 pm »

Training
How do you manage to train your marksmen without using thousands of bolts? I don't have a rain forest to chop nearby, you know!

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: February 19, 2010, 02:37:49 pm »

Training
How do you manage to train your marksmen without using thousands of bolts? I don't have a rain forest to chop nearby, you know!
Personally i use the bones of the goblins they kill.
room with fortifications, pit one z-level above do drop the cagetrapped goblins into, floodgate at one side for corpse retrieval.
Why shoot at stone or wood targets when you can use live goblins instead?
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: February 19, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »

Why shoot at stone or wood targets when you can use live goblins instead?

Yes, this is good in that it gives them 3 or 4 times (can't remember the exact figure) as much experience as practicing on stationary targets.

Also, you shouldn't have too much problem with getting bones for ammo, assuming you're raising livestock. Seriously, this is probably the most important use of a "meat" industry, as you can grow indefinite amounts of food and import vast quantities of leather, but livestock you raise yourself is going to be your best source of bones unless you're being besieged by a shitload of monsters (which shouldn't be the case for the first several years, unless you've modded your game).

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1762 on: February 19, 2010, 03:04:16 pm »

livestock you raise yourself is going to be your best source of bones unless you're being besieged by a shitload of monsters (which shouldn't be the case for the first several years, unless you've modded your game).

Although bringing lots of turtles along when you embark will give some to start with, along with shells for any strange moods that require them.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: February 19, 2010, 03:12:00 pm »

Yes, turtle bones might be useful for early self defense, but when it comes to anything else, especially training several shooters up to legendary, they are gonna be like a drop of water on a hot stone. If my numbers are correct, you need over two thousand bolts per marksman, unless you're using live targets. With live targets it's six hundred per guy.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: February 19, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »

Btw, how do you plan to make reactions which produce actual milk? You cannot use buckets in the smelter.
That is true. I know that liquids can be dumped out of containers, and they will still exist as usable objects. It's worth a shot.
They will be just puddles and dwarves will clean them.

I have a question regarding Giant Eagles, I managed to buy a couple off the Elves and got a message that some giant eagle hatchlings had been born but I can't find them anywhere in my units list, animals list, cage add list or just looking round on the map. How do they work exactly? Does this mean the female has laid eggs and I have to wait for them to hatch? Or perhaps a bug that they didn't appear?
I am a bit terrified by the thought, but was the mother eagle flying above? If so, check the "corpse" list. And yum yum, giant eagle biscuits.

Nope, no eaglet pancakes anywhere to be found. I've had some more born since and they've shown up ok so I'm guessing it was a bug. Also my eagles haven't flown since I bought them so it couldn't be mid-air birthing. I'm not sure why they are staying on the ground either, might it have something to do with them having light grey wounds when I bought them which haven't healed? Another oddity. Perhaps if the eaglets fly when fully grown it will prove my theory.

I'm still not sure what the situation is with the elves not bringing anything else really interesting creature-wise.

Stupid elves.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: February 19, 2010, 04:13:19 pm »

My question is simple enough.

If I pour magma in a 4/7 or higher column ontop of a up/down staircase then pour water on it, will the stairs disappear, or if you mine out the obsidian made will the stairs still be there encased?

The stairs will be destroyed, though your miners can just dig an up/down staircase and it will be just as if they'd dug around the old stone staircase. It will then be an obsidian staircase.

Thanks

Then a second thanks for the grammar fixes.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: February 19, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Does a marksdwarf have to hit his target to get experience from it? If not, you could stick a goblin in a 1x1 room, surround him with fortifications, and have your marksdwarves shoot at him from 19 tiles away. He'd last a lot longer because of the fortifications blocking so many shots.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: February 19, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »

you can always use archery targets, for that. ::)
I like sushi.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: February 19, 2010, 05:10:33 pm »

you can always use archery targets, for that. ::)

Yes, but he's proposing a way of conserving bolts, right? Training on archery targets gives you like 1/4 of the experience as live targets.

And I think it would even work. At least in adventure mode, you get 30 exp. points per shot regardless of whether you hit something, so it likely works the same way in fortress mode.

Calibur

• Bay Watcher
  • You all still have Zoidberg.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: February 19, 2010, 05:19:12 pm »

This is a very noobish and most likely laughable question. But reading the DF Wiki has only made me more confused.

I have a brook and want to make a well. However, anything underground is below the brook and as far as I know, you can only have a well above water. Is it possible to channel the brook into some kind of water pit which I can then stick a well over and have it not run out of water (and flood the fortress)

Any ideas, or am I just trying the impossible/missing the obvious?
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 181