Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214134 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1680 on: February 18, 2010, 01:48:06 am »

1. In stockpiles, you have the option to set a number of barrels and bins... It is at zero by default... How can I specify I don't want any bins in a given stockpile with that?

2. Can puppies in cage grow to adulthood?

3. Are caravans of a given civ always arriving on the same spot? Because it seems I need to put road to show them the way...

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: February 18, 2010, 01:57:32 am »

I cannot for the life of me understand how to move around caged prisoners.  I recently caught a batch of ambushers and would REALLY like to collapse a few tons of rock above their heads, but Animal Stockpile and Q/K/V --> Cage Trap all fail me.

EDIT: Also, how do I remove their belongings?

EDIT:  Also, my DM demands an item in his Throne Room.  Levers, statues and whatnot aren't satisfying her.

Caged prisoners go in in animal stockpiles. You can also build thier cages somewhere permanent, the same way you build a chair or a table. If you forbid the cage traps before they caught anything, the cages will remain forbidden once something is in them. You'll have to claim them to move them around.

The easiest way to remove thier belongings is to mass designate thier cages for dumping, then use the loo(k) command to remove the dump designation on the cages themselves. Your dwarves will strip them of everything they're wearing or carrying, but leave the cages where they are and won't release the prisoners.

Your Dungeon Master is probably demanding an item of a specific material. His demand should read something like "Bismuth Bronze item in throne room" or "Obsidian item in throne room."

1. In stockpiles, you have the option to set a number of barrels and bins... It is at zero by default... How can I specify I don't want any bins in a given stockpile with that?

2. Can puppies in cage grow to adulthood?

3. Are caravans of a given civ always arriving on the same spot? Because it seems I need to put road to show them the way...

Sorry, I'm not sure about the first one. As for 2, yes. As for 3, I don't beleive so. They might tend to come from the same direction (this is just a guess, I don't know for sure), but they won't ALWAYS enter the map from the exact same tile. They'll never spawn on an edge tile where they can't reach the depot, provided there's at least one clear path to it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:00:56 am by Particleman »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 18, 2010, 02:04:25 am »

hu ok... but if I get the message that they found a path to my non reachable depot (something like that) ,it means I only get a caravan with mules but without the wagon, right? So I need to clear the path to the edge with a road I guess?

Stone hauling & Dump
This one really confuse me. I have some non forbidden stones outside, which I have set to (D)ump, and I have a Dump area. My Dw can work outside, I have 6 haulers with Refuse enabled and they are all idle. What is the setting I'm missing to retrieve these stones?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:29:13 am by vorpal+5 »

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 18, 2010, 02:28:57 am »

10 idlers, and none of them will touch the goblin cages!  What went wrong?  I have the animal stockpile ready and waiting!
EDIT: I tried taking a stone crafter and removing all labors save "Animal Hauling".  He went idle until I gave him his job back.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:33:29 am by OddProphet »
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 18, 2010, 02:33:39 am »

10 idlers, and none of them will touch the goblin cages!  What went wrong?  I have the animal stockpile ready and waiting!

Are the cages forbidden? Do the idlers have Animal Hauling enabled?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 18, 2010, 02:43:19 am »

There are very few possibilities here. Either something is screwed up in the {o} orders, or the cages are forbidden, or there is no path between the cages, the dwarves, and the stockpile. You've said you have animal hauling enabled, so that definitely isn't the problem.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

OddProphet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: February 18, 2010, 02:43:46 am »

Yep, the cages are unforbidden and all my idlers have their tasks set.
They aren't coffins: They're lunchboxes 

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 18, 2010, 02:48:25 am »

I got it!!

Dumped items are now garbage, so won't be dumped if outside, unless the Dump Outside general setting is enabled!!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 18, 2010, 02:50:55 am »

I got it!!

Dumped items are now garbage, so won't be dumped if outside, unless the Dump Outside general setting is enabled!!

There are multiple problems he could be having with the {o} menu, I just don't care to hash through them. Someone want to take up the torch? Any number of incorrect settings could cause problems, such as outdoor traps and a restriction keeping dwarves indoors.
The sigs topic:

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 18, 2010, 04:10:29 am »

It's ok, I got my answer myself...

I was wondering about something... let's say that:

1. I have only one stone stockpile, inside.
2. no dorfs have stone hauling
3. I have a stone outside
4. I create a food stockpile underneath

What would happen when a dorf want to put a food into it. Will it push one square the stone, or move it to the nearest legit stockpile = the one inside.

Yes, I could test, but not at work :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 18, 2010, 05:07:42 am »

If I follow what you're saying (and I'm not entirely sure I do), you have a food stockpile placed under a stone and a stone stockpile placed elsewhere. Well, the stone wouldn't be moved because there'd be no one to stockpile it, and the food wouldn't be placed in the food stockpile because there'd be no free area to store it until the stone on top was moved for various reasons, so, uh... I guess nothing at all would happen. Dwarves won't actively move objects off stockpiles that shouldn't be there, you need to have them dispose of the 'bad' objects so that the stockpile has free space for the 'good' ones.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:05 am »

You understood me  :D

Thanks for the answer, crystal clear, and give me more understanding of the logic of the game.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1692 on: February 18, 2010, 07:44:34 am »

If I follow what you're saying (and I'm not entirely sure I do), you have a food stockpile placed under a stone and a stone stockpile placed elsewhere. Well, the stone wouldn't be moved because there'd be no one to stockpile it, and the food wouldn't be placed in the food stockpile because there'd be no free area to store it until the stone on top was moved for various reasons, so, uh... I guess nothing at all would happen. Dwarves won't actively move objects off stockpiles that shouldn't be there, you need to have them dispose of the 'bad' objects so that the stockpile has free space for the 'good' ones.
My recollection is dwarves will ignore existing items to place items in a stockpile. That is if you have a stone stockpile, then use the settings to disable stone and enable food - they will leave the stone there and drop food on top of it.

But I could be wrong. Except for food (and sometimes blocks or finished goods) I try not to haul to stockpiles
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:35 am »

They're gluttons for punishment.

Alternately, you can go into the RAWs and change the carrying capacity of each animal. The default is from 1000-1500 on pack animals; I just set it to 40k recently for kicks. 5000 would be plenty.

Looking up the thread with the info for you...
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49261.0
Found it.

Hmm, having changed the pack animals to have the same carrying capacity as wagons the first elf caravan has arrived in the Spring - I'm not sure if its related to the edit but I'm getting a consistent crash when they are on their way to my trade depot and I didn't get crashes before the edit.

Error log:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note that I put those lines in bold where I said it repeats itself because the errorlog was so long copying it into my reply and putting spoiler tags round it was crashing mozilla firefox.

I've just reduced their capacity to 5000 to see if that helps, just about to test it, but I'm not entirely convinced its the cause of the problem anyway.

Edit: Well reducing the capacity to 5000 seems to have stopped the crash, for all the good its done me, the elves brought a number of non-ferocious creatures and empty cages but nothing remotely useful. Somehow I don't think my fort will benefit from chaining up mules, horses, donkeys, rats and hedgehogs at the entrance. Where are my giant eagles and scorpions, crocodiles and alligators, grizzly bears and wolves, gorillas and elephants, lions, leopards, tigers and jaguars?

FUUUUUUUUUU-

Stupid elves.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:09:58 am by Spong »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 18, 2010, 08:26:41 am »

Sorry, I don't know what the problem was without seeing what you did to the raws ;)

Probably just a bug that wasn't your fault anyway. Whatever creatures the elves bring seems somewhat randomized. I hope someone with more experience has a better answer, like "They bring things from biomes their civilization has settled in" or something like that. I just don't know.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 181