Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 213953 times)

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1560 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:41 pm »

Do trade caravans ever bring in large quantities of stone? I only seem to get one or two blocks at a time of any given rock type.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 15, 2010, 01:06:56 pm »

1. Why has the level in the pipe gone down?
You have removed some magma from the pipe.  Thought your system is closed, some magma was required to fill/prime it, which was taken from the pipe.  That caused the magma level to fall.  Eventually the pipe will refill itself to its original level.  This may cause it to overflow if magma flows out of your system into an already full pipe.
2. Have I just pressurised the entire magma pipe?
If there exists a solid path from the outlet of your pump to the pipe, then the entire pipe will be pressurized to the level of the output of the pump.

1.  Are there any issues with pumping magma through a pump stack?
Only that the pumps should not contain any wooden parts.  Other materials seem to be safe - pumps don't seem to need magma-safe materials so long as the passable input square of the pump is not itself immersed in magma, which it does not need to be in order to pump.
2. The magma should be pressured at the top of the stack, correct?

Yes, the magma will pressurize to the output level of the last pump.
3. How many pumps can I reasonably place at a magma pipe that it does not  lower the magma level? 
None.  Pumping any magma from the pipe will lower the magma level.  The pipe will eventually refill to its original level.

Let me clarify. The system was closed, by way of having one tile filled with magma, which flowed down through a grate.
The only priming was one tile.
None evaporated; it drained through the grate.
Why the hell did the top pipe level go from almost entirely 7/7 with a few 6/7, to mostly 6/7 with a few 5/7?
And I checked; it hasn't gone spurting out of any holes.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 15, 2010, 01:19:28 pm »

Do trade caravans ever bring in large quantities of stone? I only seem to get one or two blocks at a time of any given rock type.

Stone is heavy. Caravans are severely limited in the amount of stone they can bring.

It's also not very valuable, so caravans would rather bring other things.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 15, 2010, 01:30:03 pm »

About magma: it cannot be pressurized. Water can and will, magma though will spread horizontally only, it cannot move up by itself.

Example:

Water from

#~######
#~######
#~#  
#~#~####
#~~~####
#~~~####
########
will go to

#~######
#~######
#~#~~~~
#~#~####
#~~~####
#~~~####
########

Magma won't.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:55:58 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

cstruble

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 15, 2010, 01:33:37 pm »

3. How many pumps can I reasonably place at a magma pipe that it does not lower the magma level? 
None.  Pumping any magma from the pipe will lower the magma level.  The pipe will eventually refill to its original level.
Thanks
In that case would pumping magma from the bottom of the pipe refill faster than pumping it at the top of the pipe? 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 15, 2010, 01:36:22 pm »

Thanks
In that case would pumping magma from the bottom of the pipe refill faster than pumping it at the top of the pipe? 

The pipe fills up quicker the emptier it gets. At least I believe that's the case. SO yes, pumping from the bottom would get you more magma to pump than from the top.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 15, 2010, 03:06:38 pm »

About Floors:

What is the difference between a smoothed floor and a constructed floor (over a non smoothed floor)? I want to add value to some rooms while sucking up a bit of the stones laying around, what should I do?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1567 on: February 15, 2010, 03:15:26 pm »

About magma: it cannot be pressurized. Water can and will, magma though will spread horizontally only, it cannot move up by itself.
Magma can be pressurized by pumps.  It can't be pressurized by gravity alone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1568 on: February 15, 2010, 03:17:18 pm »

Let me clarify. The system was closed, by way of having one tile filled with magma, which flowed down through a grate.
The only priming was one tile.
None evaporated; it drained through the grate.
Why the hell did the top pipe level go from almost entirely 7/7 with a few 6/7, to mostly 6/7 with a few 5/7?
And I checked; it hasn't gone spurting out of any holes.
Very strange.  It shouldn't do that, and I've never seen similar behavior.  Might be some strange bug in the code that refills pipes.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 15, 2010, 03:53:57 pm »

Can I say to a specif Dwarf to not go outside? Because I had a crafter which moved over half the map to retrieve some bones!! He approached antmen dangerously because of that ... so ...

I had to draft him in the military to halt his move, because even cancelling the job at the craftshop did not work, is it the only solution?

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 15, 2010, 05:19:36 pm »

When you enter criteria to embark, is it possible to skip the first correct candidate and check the second?

Nope. One of the limitations of the current site finder.

actually, it is. put a fortress there and then abandon. It's now an invalid site.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 15, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »

Can I say to a specif Dwarf to not go outside? Because I had a crafter which moved over half the map to retrieve some bones!! He approached antmen dangerously because of that ... so ...

I had to draft him in the military to halt his move, because even cancelling the job at the craftshop did not work, is it the only solution?

No, you can't tell a specific dwarf to stay in a certain area. Apparently that's what burrows are going to do in the next version, though. (Burrows aren't in this version, so don't try looking for them.)

As for getting him to not walk into a huge swarm of antmen and get murdered? Just forbid the bones near them (d -> b -> f, then select everything you want to forbid, like designating something to be dug out.)

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to melt stuff stored in bins??
« Reply #1572 on: February 15, 2010, 06:33:50 pm »

I have tons of useless narrow goblin armor stored in bins. Now I'd like to melt them, is there some way to achieve this?  ???

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 15, 2010, 06:37:25 pm »

D-B-M= mass melt
Go to smelter/magma smelter add task "Melt metal object"
Make sure you have fuel for non magma smelter

If you want it gone without the long wait consider atom smashing
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:39:52 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 15, 2010, 06:39:17 pm »

d - b - m

That's the key stroke to mass designate melting. If you do that over your bins of narrow iron goblin armor, your dwarves will melt them if you assign the appropriate task at the smelter.

Damn, ninja'd.

Note: The mass designation melting is indiscriminate. If you have pieces of masterwork steel armor in those bins, too, they'll be marked for melting as well.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 181