Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214458 times)

XmasApe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #645 on: January 08, 2010, 10:53:28 am »

Doors aren't required to make a room, they just contain its layout (if not set to internal) and may or may not add their value to the value of the room (I really don't know that answer). I've built hundreds of rooms without doors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 08, 2010, 10:58:47 am »

Doors aren't required to make a room, they just contain its layout (if not set to internal) and may or may not add their value to the value of the room (I really don't know that answer). I've built hundreds of rooms without doors.

I'm pretty sure they don't add value to the room. Might be more noticeable if you use doors with a high value as I generally just use stone doors. It does generate the 'admired own fine door' thought.

Tycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 08, 2010, 11:15:32 am »

Is there a way to find the reason that the construction of a building was suspended?
All the pumps are in place, the dwarfs just won't plug it in...
Tycho canceles Starting Fist Fight: Went Insane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 08, 2010, 11:17:25 am »

Is there a way to find the reason that the construction of a building was suspended?
All the pumps are in place, the dwarfs just won't plug it in...

It will say in the announcements the reason why they are cancelling construction.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:12 pm »

If I'm making a clear glass window, it it better to make it straight from glass or raw glass which is then used to make a gem window?

Glass windows are better than gem windows, they use a third of the raw materials and are worth more.  Gem windows' value is equal to the 3 gems used to make it, and gems are worth Item value (3 for rough, 5 for cut) * material value(5 for clear glass). A glass window is worth Item Value (25) * material Value (5 for clear glass) * quality. 

As for doors, I think they only add value if set to internal.   But switching them to internal won't change the size of any existing rooms, so you can set the room up while its external, then switch it to get more value.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 08, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »

But surely a gem window using clear cut glass as the gem will have a value of 25*value for each unit of glass?

Per unit of glass input, the value output either way is the same, one can just concentrate it more with the gem window option.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 08, 2010, 06:20:06 pm »

But surely a gem window using clear cut glass as the gem will have a value of 25*value for each unit of glass?

Per unit of glass input, the value output either way is the same, one can just concentrate it more with the gem window option.

Err, I'm not sure what you mean, but glass windows are definitely worth more.  Cut clear glass is worth 25 each, and a Gem window made from 3 would be worth 75, it doesn't get any other modifiers.   A no quality clear glass window is worth 125, 25 for being a window * 5 for being clear glass, and a masterwork would be 1500.   Gem windows would be worth more if the gems used had a quality rating, or if they were designed by an architect so the building would have a quality rating, but right now they're not worth much.     

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #652 on: January 08, 2010, 06:34:48 pm »

And if you really want a high-value window, you can take that masterwork glass window and encrust it with gems before you place it.  Urist McDwarf demands stained glass window in tomb!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 08, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

I like to kill goblins, but I prefer to be able to melt their iron. So I like the sounds of this: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Trap_design#Menacing_Spikes Three quick questions:

1) Has anyone ever tried this? Does it work? (I want to be sure that just setting the lever to Repeat will actually cause the spikes to go up and down, and that there is no delay to mess this up...)

2) Roughly how many hits from a single steel spike would it take to kill a typical goblin

3) It is not mentioned on the wiki, but someone on the forums recently said that they built their spike traps in a channeled hallway. Will they not work if they are built right on the floor? They need to be one z-level lower than the targets?

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 08, 2010, 07:15:35 pm »

Speaking of windows....

If you put a waterfall behind a window, will dwarves still get happy thoughts from the mist?  Or do they need to be able to touch the mist and potentially fall in to a cistern to be happy?

edit: forgot a y on they...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:28:51 pm by happydog23 »

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 08, 2010, 08:15:56 pm »

If a Dwarf stands on something like this, will they fall? Can magma/water get in or out? Can flying enemies (Like, er, !!clowns!!) get in?

[side view]

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 08, 2010, 08:36:15 pm »

(Edit: All of that was wrong, didn't see the Z-levels). Floors don't get dug out when you dig somewhere unless you channel.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 08, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »

@ corinthius:
1) yes.
2) It varies. Each spike can have different effects, and some goblins are tougher than others.
3) they do not need to be on a z-level lower (otherwise how would the enemies walk over them?)

@ Happydog: I believe the dwarves need to actually go through the mist for the happy thought

@ Rotten: I believe the water will rise up through the diagonal gap. Any flying enemies will be able to do so too (and amphibious ones). !!clowns!! will actually evaporate the water in this situation.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 08, 2010, 08:55:31 pm »

@ Rotten: I believe the water will rise up through the diagonal gap. Any flying enemies will be able to do so too (and amphibious ones). !!clowns!! will actually evaporate the water in this situation.
Thanks! I needed to know that to plan a megaproject I hope to start soon.

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 08, 2010, 09:48:16 pm »

Happydog: waterfalls seem to work and generate mist while falling through floor grates. SO you should be able to keep your dwarves safe that way.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 181