Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 206572 times)

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:37 am »

Stopping champions sparring... put them on duty, they should realise they need to drink.

Tried that but they still won't stop. I've also tried switching out their equipment, dumping their inventory items, and building a workshop on top of them.

I'm gonna try channeling out the floor beneath them when I get home from work later..

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2009, 10:13:26 am »

that dragon still stands around where it appeared on the map :(
i noticed that there is a murky pool in front of the dragon with a goblin in it.
could this be the reason why it doesn't want to come and chew on my dwarves ???
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2009, 12:13:54 pm »

Stopping champions sparring... put them on duty, they should realise they need to drink.

Tried that but they still won't stop. I've also tried switching out their equipment, dumping their inventory items, and building a workshop on top of them.

I'm gonna try channeling out the floor beneath them when I get home from work later..

Tossing them in a cave-in works.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2009, 01:08:30 pm »

Cave-in worked! Thanks everyone.

I can't tell if this was a lame bug, or if it was my champions pet Camel, Camel McStupid, standing on top of them and pinning them to the ground.  ???

I can just imagine the two of them strangling the heck out of eachother while gasping out, "Ahm so thirstah!".

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2009, 03:19:39 pm »

My farm has an unusual error message...

"No seeds available for this location"

In an attempt to build an underground farm ... above ground, I think I broke all my farms :(

Normally, if I don't have the seeds available, it still lets me plant them (the wiki says that too!!), but I think that the reason behind the problem is my farm layout:

Code: [Select]
Level 0:

~~~~~~TPPT
~~T~P~~TPT
~~P~~~T~~~
P~~~T~~~P~
~~PT~~~~~~
~~~~~~PPTT
PT~~~~~~~~
~~~PT~PP~~
~~~TTPP~~~
~~~~~~~PPP
 X

Level 1

+++++
+++++
+++++
+++++
+++++
 X

The bottom 5x5 farm plot has a sunshade (made out of limestone), and plants and trees are spread out inside the farms ... are any of these the reason why I can't grow food??

Please answer quick!! It is summer, and my dwarves food supplies are growing unnervingly low!!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:30 pm »

When you loo'k' over the farm tiles, are they listed as underground or above ground?

If above ground, you can only plant above ground crops in that location, and you likely don't have any above ground seeds. I suggest gathering some of them. This will also help with your desperate food shortage.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 05:01:17 pm »

What does it mean when a dwarf claims a workshop? One of mine just did, the same little moron also made an announcement pop up saying he was withdrawing from society, what does that mean?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 05:04:36 pm »

He's entered a strange mood. If he can gather enough materials within a set amount of time, he will begin working. At the end, he will produce an artifact, an object of immense value and quality.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2009, 05:04:59 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Strange_mood

This has the answers regarding the dwarf that claimed a workshop.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 05:13:15 pm »

Thanks  ;D  Now I'll just hope that he isnt just a nutter and creates something epic or else I will have to build my first torture chamber, cause you can torture them right?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16:49 pm »

Torture your dwarves? Yes, yes you can. Just not directly. That is to say, you can't order one dwarf to inflict harm on another, but that doesn't mean that with enough creativity you can't torture your dwarves on your own.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2009, 05:57:50 pm »

Cave-in worked! Thanks everyone.

I can't tell if this was a lame bug, or if it was my champions pet Camel, Camel McStupid, standing on top of them and pinning them to the ground.  ???

I can just imagine the two of them strangling the heck out of eachother while gasping out, "Ahm so thirstah!".

It's a bug. My fortress guards kept doing it, until I undermined the barracks.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:22 pm »

Got another little question, how do I build a hole in the floor? Going to build an underground well and need to remove some dirt it seems.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2009, 06:03:30 pm »

d -> h

Channel out the tile if it's not constructed.

d -> n

Remove the floor if it's constructed.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2009, 06:07:12 pm »

Thanks, :) while we are at it, it there any way to get a nice overview of what's in your stockpiles?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 181