Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 214230 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #2220 on: March 28, 2010, 05:44:07 pm »

How do I make sure my dwarves only use blocks for statues and such? I could churn out blocks for a while, then disable all stone so they can only use blocks, but that's inconvenient...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: March 28, 2010, 05:47:58 pm »

They can't use blocks for furniture, those are only used for building walls, floors, bridges, workshops and the like.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: March 28, 2010, 06:12:27 pm »

Oh! Well then, that makes it easier. Thanks!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: March 28, 2010, 06:26:13 pm »

It helps to think of blocks as strictly building materials (like bricks), rather than large stone blocks. Otherwise, it's a confusing idea that carving a hunk of rock into a block makes it unusable for other things.

Blocks should require some form of advanced hauling (like a cart or pallet) and probably will in future. Right now, your dwarf just wraps his stubby arms around a large pile of squared loose stones and carries them.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: March 28, 2010, 06:31:50 pm »

It's also pretty crazy how the material made into one +diorite ring+ is equivalent to the material made into a massive wall.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: March 28, 2010, 07:17:24 pm »

It's best to consider it a boon, given the massive surplus of stone always present in DF.
The sigs topic:

Josiwe

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: March 28, 2010, 10:57:52 pm »

Can recruits train xbow with shields? I had some recruits set to xbow, leather, shield, and they refused to practice at my archery range. I read somewhere that there are some bugs with marksdwarves and holding secondary items, but all they had were shields. So I set them to remove shields, and they started practicing immediately. Then they leveled up from recruit to marksdwarf, and I reequipped the shields. After leveling up they continued to train, even with shields equipped.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: March 28, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »

The wiki is the place to go for repetitive archery questions. It is very, very clear and detailed.

Shields don't affect training, and the only possible answer (besides a never-before-seen bug) is that you lacked one of the vital elements for archery training: A valid target, correct orders, and proper equipment. Most likely you didn't have valid ammunition for training.

Toady is allowing you to designate ammunition of any material for training in the new version to prevent this confusion/hangup.
The sigs topic:

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #2228 on: March 29, 2010, 05:16:03 am »

An absolutely ecstatic dwarf just attended a meeting with mayor (not manager). She yelled at him and got a little happier. Wiki implies this should not happen. Thoughts?
Apparently there was something that had annoyed that dwarf.
The Mayor's main "job" is being complained to about things like, a lack of work last season. The dwarf who complained to the mayor should have a happy thought like "... has complained about ..." somewhere. That should at least explain what they complained about.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: March 29, 2010, 05:48:14 am »

So you're saying that even when they're generally ecstatic, dwarves are going to bust the mayor's balls over things like a lack of chairs?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: March 29, 2010, 11:10:15 am »

So you're saying that even when they're generally ecstatic, dwarves are going to bust the mayor's balls over things like a lack of chairs?
The main and perhaps only reason regular dwarves will meet with the mayor is lack of work.  Since lack of work is only associated with one occasionally-occurring bad thought plus the possibility of not being able to afford a bedroom, it's pretty easy for a generally very happy dwarf to want to meet with the mayor.
Can recruits train xbow with shields? I had some recruits set to xbow, leather, shield, and they refused to practice at my archery range. I read somewhere that there are some bugs with marksdwarves and holding secondary items, but all they had were shields. So I set them to remove shields, and they started practicing immediately. Then they leveled up from recruit to marksdwarf, and I reequipped the shields. After leveling up they continued to train, even with shields equipped.
According to the wiki (and I can't remember seeing anything in my personal experience that conflicts with this) dwarves with shields need quivers to carry ammo.  Dwarves don't practice with the bolts in their quivers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still applied.  Otherwise it's probably something around the lines that Architect was talking about, or even random chance.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: March 29, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »

The main and perhaps only reason regular dwarves will meet with the mayor is lack of work.  Since lack of work is only associated with one occasionally-occurring bad thought plus the possibility of not being able to afford a bedroom, it's pretty easy for a generally very happy dwarf to want to meet with the mayor.

That does make sense, but I was wondering about the odds of seeing dwarves complain to the mayor about less serious stuff, since I don't play with an economy or even a population high enough to get a tax collector.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: March 29, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »

That does make sense, but I was wondering about the odds of seeing dwarves complain to the mayor about less serious stuff, since I don't play with an economy or even a population high enough to get a tax collector.

"Non-legendary dwarves, if left idle for long period of time, will periodically meet with the manager to complain about job scarcity. "

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Meeting

That is what I was refering to. The only way I could explain it is that the dwarf waited for a meeting so long that he finally got happy. Naturally, I fear that some important feature has evaded my notice.

edit:economy is not activated, and the mayor is not a manager.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:34:43 pm by ancistrus »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: March 29, 2010, 01:52:54 pm »

The fact that your guy was worried about not having work does not mean he couldn't have been ecstatic. Maybe the food is just that good in your fortress? Or the social life? If the numbers on the wiki are correct, then even something as simple a couple of fine meals or drinks will help your dwarf get over his unemployment or eviction.

Pineapple Skitter

• Bay Watcher
  • Mildly bemused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:42 am »

I know that by adding water to rocks I can farm on them, but can I do the same thing with salt water?
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 181