Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 206428 times)

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1230 on: February 06, 2010, 06:47:35 am »

What is the easiest way to prevent a craftsdwarf/mason/mechanic, from leaving a room with no doors which is full of stone, to go get stone from 1 level up/down (which involves a 30+tile trip each way)?
My preference would be to have dwarves on each level working simultaneously, so I don't really want to forbid the stone.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 06, 2010, 10:59:35 am »

hehe, even a newb can answer that! disable hauling labors so he'll stay at masonry 24/7
I like sushi.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1232 on: February 06, 2010, 11:05:04 am »

hehe, even a newb can answer that! disable hauling labors so he'll stay at masonry 24/7
That won't in any way stop him from going to grab a stone on a different level.

The problem Gracie is having is sue to the fact that when a mason at a workshop needs a stone, he'll go and get the closest one to him, with 'closest' being determined in absolute straight-line X/Y/Z distance rather than actual pathing distance.  So this means if a stone is directly beneath him one Z-level down, he'll walk halfway across the map and back to reach it rather than pick up the stone on his level 2 steps away.  So far as I know the only way to fix this is to physically block off or forbid the stone on the other level.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 06, 2010, 11:23:36 am »

ah, alright.  One question from me now, how do I get my marksdwarves to equip bolts?  They only have xbows but I have a large supply of bolts in bins in my Barracks, how do I get them to equip them?
I like sushi.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 06, 2010, 12:43:52 pm »

You can't get them to equip bolts. When they need them, they'll run to the barracks, grab a stack, and start gunning.
However, you can make quivers from leather so that they can carry two bolt stacks at a time. This way they'll be a bit more useful. And put large quantum stockpiles of bolts near defenses (parapets, barracks, wherever you plan to place marksdwarves) using the technique I described. You know, marksdwarves spend more time running back and forth for bolts than actually firing, so if you can make it convenient for them to get bolts, they'll be much more effective.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 06, 2010, 02:35:31 pm »

Thanks, just started playing this game a week ago, that Mayday graphical mod rocks, and I combine it with stonesense and the cruddy graphic problem disappears... now just time to actually know how to do things hehe.

also, I heard that you can mod the game somehow to make it so you can start with tons of dwarves and equipment like ale and armor?  How do I do that?
I like sushi.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 06, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »

How do I get my wrestlers to fight each other again? (For experience)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 06, 2010, 02:48:52 pm »

Go into your raw folder, or your init folder, and poke around.
My current computer can't handle DF, but I can download it and help you with it in a bit.
Also, I would highly, highly recommend using Dwarf Therapist (google it) - it makes things so much easier.

Conflict... I don't understand. If you have a barracks and a squad of wrestlers off duty, they should spar.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 06, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »

they also have to be in an active (drafted) squad and set to off duty in order to wrestle.  You also have to actually have a room with beds set as a Barracks for them to **** around in there.
I like sushi.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 06, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »

Thorik, I looked in the files and I'm afraid I don't know how to mod that. Ask around, though, I'm sure someone will!

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 06, 2010, 04:18:29 pm »

Can food and wine be stored in anything OTHER than barrels????
I'm running out of barrels to quickly and must have at least 200 plump helmet spawns just sitting in a silk bag....
Any tips here?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1241 on: February 06, 2010, 04:33:14 pm »

As far as I can tell, only liquids (booze and extracts such as syrup) have to be stored in barrels.  If you make a stockpile that accepts food and then set the maximum barrels for the stockpile to zero, your dwarves will simply pile the plump helmets and such in the stockpile without barrels.  I usually set up multiple stockpiles for different kinds of food, and only permit barrels for those foods that need them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 06, 2010, 04:59:56 pm »

I found the thing called Tweak that I got to work for vanilla DF but when I input things such as Start Adjust and scroll around to like 10 dwarsfs and 3000 starting points it doesn't work anyway, but since I play that Mike Mayday graphical version I tried getting Tweak to work with that, and did the things on the wiki, but still couldn't do it, I messed around kind of, and messed up the mike mayday version of Df, so uninstalled it with the intention to reinstal and play normal, but none of the links to his version of DF work(they did yestserday), any other links to mike maydays graphical set you know of so I can play the game and not have dwarves being floating smily faces?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:14:25 pm by Thorik »
I like sushi.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 06, 2010, 07:39:01 pm »

Chaps, as a quick question, can drawbridges be used as a sort of catapult? And as I've effectively butted in front of Thorik, please do answer the him before myself if possible.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1244 on: February 06, 2010, 08:00:08 pm »

And as I've effectively butted in front of Thorik, please do answer the him before myself if possible.
If I could help him, I would, but alas, I cannot.

Chaps, as a quick question, can drawbridges be used as a sort of catapult?
My answer to that is "allegedly", in that while I'm sure I've probably done it myself, I've never closely observed the results.
I don't know how you affect the range of a drawbridge catapult.
This feature probably means you want perimeter drawbridges opening outward not inward, which is sort of broken isn't it!
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 181