Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 206575 times)

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1215 on: February 05, 2010, 07:57:53 pm »

(accidental double post)
The fish are watching.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 05, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »

Levers don't send a continuous on or off signal, nor do they toggle a component's state - they send an "on" signal the moment they are pulled to the right, and an "off" signal when pulled to the left. http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Lever#On.2FOff_states will tell you more.

To set up the system you describe, you either need two levers or a logic gate.
The fish are watching.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 05, 2010, 08:12:49 pm »

Levers don't send a continuous on or off signal, nor do they toggle a component's state - they send an "on" signal the moment they are pulled to the right, and an "off" signal when pulled to the left. http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Lever#On.2FOff_states will tell you more.

To set up the system you describe, you either need two levers or a logic gate.

Thanks... Apparently I've never actually looked at the LEVER wiki page... I'd always looked at others. 

It's never simple.  Its always gotta be dwarfy.

Alex.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:06 pm »

Just a quick question. I'm trying to set up a breeding pen/slaughterhouse and my idea was to chain up a bunch of rhesus macaques that I conveniently captured recently to the walls of a room. The room would have only one exit, surrounded by weapon traps. The theory is that the monkey spawn will try to wander out of the room and kill themselves on my traps. At which point my butcher can come pick up the corpse.

So, will this work? Will the traps kill the animals and will the butcher be able to use the resulting mess?

Secondary question: Will I eventually need to replace the rhesus macaques? I.e. will they die of old age?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1219 on: February 05, 2010, 09:43:34 pm »

This will only work if the rhesus macaques are wild, not tame.  You might have some trouble chaining them up as whoever is doing the chaining might see the already chained ones and panic and run away.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 05, 2010, 11:26:21 pm »

I know there's something simple and stupid I'm doing, but my hunter refuses to hunt. I have his labor set, he has his crossbow and bolts... Is there something I'm missing?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 05, 2010, 11:35:39 pm »

Will roads burn?

If so, can I use them as fuses?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 05, 2010, 11:41:28 pm »

my entire freakin army of five soldiers (lol) were all off duty and wrastling eachother in the Barracks, (no weapons incase they kill eachother I heard) and they keep tearing their clothes off.  I try to get them to pick it up, I even assigned all the soldiers their own rooms with cabinets to put the clothes in.  Tried to designate garbage dumps and dump the clothes.  It's all still on the floor and noone does anything with it.  How do I get them to put some damn clothes on?
I like sushi.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 06, 2010, 12:18:06 am »

You can't. Even if you order them to remove their armour, they just go grab NEW clothes. The only way to remove them is a magma wash.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 06, 2010, 12:43:36 am »

oh shiz, so many giant cave spider silk clothing ruined!  That is a heavy blow, since I only allow myself to use lumber and plump helmets. Gotta import more clothes!
I like sushi.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 06, 2010, 12:53:15 am »

Maybe you could make a stockpile near the barracks for only pig tail clothing, and then put a quantum stockpile next to it (first make a garbage dump right next to the stockpile, then designate all the clothes to be d-b-dumped; d-b-claim the clothes when you want them to be used)? That way, hopefully the wrestlers will take only cheap clothing to rip off each other.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 06, 2010, 01:32:21 am »

Is there anyway to remove 'Furrowed Clay' from my fortress? It's just annoying to look at, really.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 06, 2010, 01:33:26 am »

heh, maybe I'll try that.  Just askin', what happens when I steal all the belongings of the elven and human caravans in my first meetings with them?  Btw, I made the fortress under a human town, will the caravans come back with soldiers to kill me, or will they just never come again?  Who needs them longlegs, I'm a dwarf eh?
I like sushi.

Conflict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 06, 2010, 01:37:40 am »

Also, how do I get my wrestlers to fight each other again? (For experience)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 06, 2010, 01:40:18 am »

Is there anyway to remove 'Furrowed Clay' from my fortress? It's just annoying to look at, really.

Build a constructed floor over it. Then tear it up again. Voila, rock floor.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 181