Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 206701 times)

Steev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1170 on: February 04, 2010, 12:37:24 am »

What does a moderate injury to the spinal cord do besides stop them from sparring? Are they still fit to serve on the front lines?
For a greater challenge, try doing that with a globin outpost. I will someday
Seriously, man. If I ever see you misspell 'goblin' again I am going to find and kill you.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 04, 2010, 01:39:55 am »

how can disarm my goblins trapped in cage traps without releasing the gobblins into my fort?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 04, 2010, 01:51:37 am »

how can disarm my goblins trapped in cage traps without releasing the gobblins into my fort?

Mass-dump their clothing and armour and weapons. Just mass-dump the cage, then deselect the dump on the cage itself.
Unless you WANT them to be thrown on the trash heap along with their gear.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 04, 2010, 01:52:56 am »

Is there a way to clear out a specific area of rocks, say, in a newly dug out room?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 04, 2010, 01:57:04 am »

What does a moderate injury to the spinal cord do besides stop them from sparring? Are they still fit to serve on the front lines?
It... makes them more vulnerable to future spinal injuries, but those are fairly uncommon anyway. Generally, spinal-injured heroes and champions are only good for on the front lines, and usually do just fine there.

Is there a way to clear out a specific area of rocks, say, in a newly dug out room?
Designate the stones in the place you want cleared for dumping, and have a dump zone someplace. People will come along and take the stones to the dump zone, where they will be forbidden (but you can reclaim them freely).

Use mass item designations (d-b-d for dumping) for an easier time at doing this. If you're just doing it for aesthetic reasons, consider hiding (d-b-h) them instead; you won't see them, but the dwarves will still use them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 04, 2010, 12:16:29 pm »

I was under the impression that if you build a wall, fortification, floor or staircase out of stone it will be 'rough', but if you build it out of stone blocks it will be of higher quality - however, when I do this and highlight the construction it says its a 'rough (name of stone) block staircase'. I  thought that crafted blocks have no quality modifier so do not affect the quality of the construction, also I know constructions cannot be smoothed. How can I produce higher quality constructions? Is it the architect dorf's skill that affects it?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 04, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »

Generally, spinal-injured heroes and champions are only good for on the front lines, and usually do just fine there.

If one can spare the dwarfpower, it may be sensible to train up those spine-(or brain-)injured dwarves in the use of crossbows. At least, that's what I would do, but my usual insistence on having multiple-legendary (wrestling, armor, shield, melee weapon) champions might be going over the top.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »

I was under the impression that if you build a wall, fortification, floor or staircase out of stone it will be 'rough', but if you build it out of stone blocks it will be of higher quality - however, when I do this and highlight the construction it says its a 'rough (name of stone) block staircase'. I  thought that crafted blocks have no quality modifier so do not affect the quality of the construction, also I know constructions cannot be smoothed. How can I produce higher quality constructions? Is it the architect dorf's skill that affects it?
A block staircase says '[stone] block up/down staircase' when k'd over. If it says 'rough [stone] block up/down staircase' then you selected the wrong thing off the materials list.

Constructions are only ever as good as the blocks that comprise them, as architecture is not required to construct them. If you have flux or obsidian as a layer stone, use those. Flux stone has a value of 2 and obsidian 3, compared to 1 for every stone that isn't an ore.
(I'd really love the option to engrave block stone walls (or even the stone blocks themselves), as it would provide a better incentive to make rock blocks. Right now they're kind of useless -- they're worth a little more than plain rocks and you gain the ability to store them in bins and to make asheries and screwpumps, but there's nothing else you can do with them.)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Stabwound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 04, 2010, 04:02:06 pm »

Is there a way to prevent dwarves from building things and getting stuck on the wrong side? For example, trying to build a wall grate in a channel, they always go to the wrong side and build it, blocking themselves in.

edit: Actually, I figured it out myself, by putting another construction project on the other side so he wouldn't go there. Is there a better non-gimmicky way to do this though?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:09:11 pm by Stabwound »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 04, 2010, 04:15:29 pm »

Designate another wall for building in the square where you DON'T want them going, then suspend it until the first wall is built. For instance;

Code: [Select]
(#) = existing walls, (W) = wall you're trying to build, (S) = throwaway wall you're suspending, (.) = floor
Assume you want your dwarves to stay on the southern part.
########
#......#
#..SSS.#
####W###
#......#
########

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 04, 2010, 04:25:23 pm »

Is there a way to specify a lever or workshop as usable by everybody except specified dwarves? Right now it only seems to work the other way round, with some dwarves being greenlisted, the rest redlisted, and any new dwarves being added to the red list. I'd like to set up levers that are guaranteed to not pull certain dwarves away from their tasks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 04, 2010, 05:39:02 pm »

(I'd really love the option to engrave block stone walls (or even the stone blocks themselves), as it would provide a better incentive to make rock blocks. Right now they're kind of useless -- they're worth a little more than plain rocks and you gain the ability to store them in bins and to make asheries and screwpumps, but there's nothing else you can do with them.)

I too would like to see the option for engraving blocks; strip mining would be less detrimental to the value of your fortress and you could take control of exactly where you want those long, tantalizing veins of precious ore to be used (native gold dining rooms with various inscriptions regarding cheese and dwarves travelling, anyone?)

though as they are, I have to disagree with you regarding their use.  How else are you supposed to make sculptures many z-levels high into the air that are not made of fugly, raw rocks?  not to mention they can immensely help your masons train, as a block made from a legendary is completely identical to one made by a dabbler; there is no quality difference.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 04, 2010, 06:19:49 pm »

Though as they are, I have to disagree with you regarding their use.  How else are you supposed to make sculptures many z-levels high into the air that are not made of fugly, raw rocks?  not to mention they can immensely help your masons train, as a block made from a legendary is completely identical to one made by a dabbler; there is no quality difference.
1. Cast obsidian.
2. Do trained masons build or destroy constructions quicker than untrained ones? I honestly can't remember, but the wiki is silent on the matter and I'm sure I would have checked it out at some point. I don't think skill affects speed...
Generally I keep a handful of skilled masons and restrict the workshops so that only they make things, and the masonry labour is then enabled on a good chunk of the hauler population. I'd also rather have extra mechanics than extra masons, since untrained mechanics are so slow compared with other professions.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 04, 2010, 06:44:40 pm »

I don't understand what you meant by 'cast obsidian,' but I do know that removing constructions is not a mason's specified skill since I've seen farmers, peasants, and basically any dorf wander along walk up and tear down the offending construction.  I'm not sure if anything dictates the speed they tear it down.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 04, 2010, 06:49:37 pm »

I don't understand what you meant by 'cast obsidian,' but I do know that removing constructions is not a mason's specified skill since I've seen farmers, peasants, and basically any dorf wander along walk up and tear down the offending construction.  I'm not sure if anything dictates the speed they tear it down.

What she means by cast obsidian is to build a mold out of blocks/rocks and then pump magma in to it and then drop water in to it.  You get engrave-able obsidian as a result.  It is a lot of work, but then you can engrave it.

EDIT:  Sutremaine is not a he.  And She will put magma in your coffee if you aren't careful about that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:09:18 pm by happydog23 »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 181