Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Internet manners  (Read 3939 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Internet manners
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 04:26:14 am »

Neruz, dude, If i met you in person I would want to spend the better part of a few hours having a scathing argument on no subject in particular with you.internet.

I love doing this by the way. I'm also extremely good at nonsense.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 04:30:50 am »

*Glee*

See, legolord. Sometimes, the rudeness on the internet has it's place. Like 4chan :D.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:45 am »

*Glee*

See, legolord. Sometimes, the rudeness on the internet has it's place. Like 4chan :D.

I keep trying to find 4chan on Google map but whenever I punch in the coordinates all I get is some sort of vortex to hell.

Also I agree that 2nd post wasn't funny. Just because it was sarcasm doesn't automtically exempt it. It just lowers its rudeness from a 8 to a 6.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:43:32 am by Neonivek »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 10:41:01 am »

it's an out of line joke... it wasn't timely.  At all.  :S
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 11:15:25 am »

Without rules, people do whatever they want. Toady keeps the rules loose but sharp, like a whip, which is why Bay12ers have some manners. Those who discarded their manners, like Yanlin, were kicked out even though they contributed to the discussion.

My best friend is an Internet troll who spams people on Facebook, goes to gay chat rooms to tell them how much he hates gays, posts on fan sites of R&B stars to call someone a "filthy nigger". He's a great, nice guy in person, but on the Internet, he's a bit extreme. He does stop after a 3-day ban.

Best solution: enforcement.

Dasleah did a perfect imitation of an Internet asshole. They're assholes not because they want to be rude. They're asses because they think it's funny. I'm sure 90% of the rude /b/tards think it's funny. It's the same type of funny when you run up to someone as a kid, poke him in the butt with a stick, then run away. It's against norms, it's unexpected.

"your drawing sucks, you should give up on art" or "you should be banned for being a girl" is something that's so stupid it should come up as sarcasm. And sarcasm is supposed to be funny. But with some insecurity, it's seen as an insult and completely rude. The worst thing about the Internet is that without smileys, you miss out the tone. A black guy making fun of a black guy on Comedy Central is obviously a joke. A black guy (assuming you even know he's black) making fun of a black guy on the Internet is a bannable offense.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 04:40:24 pm »

It never ceases to amaze me how many seemingly intelligent people take strangers' insulting comments on the internet to heart. I guess it goes to show that I grossly overestimate people's intelligence.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 04:52:42 pm »

This is not about how people react to insults.  This is about the insults, and those who insult.  Some people seem to use the environment as an excuse to be insulting, which bothers me.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2009, 05:02:53 pm »

Mmm, I agree with you there. If a person is simply going to use the internet to be a dick, then it really isn't a smart idea. If they have the razor sharp wit, maybe they can make some hi-five worthy calls. But if it is just some dick with no imagination, then It isn't fair for the other people who have to be on with them.

Oh, and Dasleah? I found it funny. But it would have been funnier if you'd spelt it horribly wrongly.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 05:35:24 pm »

I just find everything Dasleah does funny now, even if it's not really that funny, because I know he'll be funny down the track.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 06:00:59 pm »

Jack, you could use the same logic there to say that you find everything of mine annoying, cos you just know it'll be annoying later on.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »

Sure but I don't.

I have an illogical quota, and right now, I've made it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »

Somehow, I doubt you have any limit to how illogical you can be.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 06:18:23 pm »

I have a self imposed limit which is inandofitself illogical.

You can see where I'm going with this.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 06:19:40 pm »

Yes. The list itself takes up a certain space of your illogical quota, and the space taken up by it is depending on how illogical the things on it are.

Woah. Metaphysics.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 06:26:24 pm »

Well, Offtopic Metaphysicis ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3