Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: When a game lies to you  (Read 7453 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: When a game lies to you
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2009, 02:22:15 pm »

How about Chrono Trigger when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That was actually something I appreciated in Matrix: Path of Neo. When it comes to the part where you have a choice between the red and blue pill, you can choose the blue pill, and...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, the escape from the office building prior to that, you can't give up and let the agents just take you like in the movie. You're railroaded into having to go through the entire puzzle. That, I didn't like.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »

While we are on the subject of fake battles, I'd like to point that it can be done well in games. Xenogears had a hell of a lot of these, but the first one can be won by acting "in character", otherwise, you lose that battle, but that is okay, since winning it gives you a wedding dress that you can either keep as a symbol of your sins, or cross dress. The second fight ends with your fighter running away because he had better stuff to do than dodge your attacks. Third fight was a pretty standard you have to lose fight, but at that point I didn't care since I had to beat up four people before him. Fourth was a fight in which you were expected to fight and beat the guy within an inch of his life before he unleashes a cutscene counterattack, so it isn't so much a fake battle as far as false battles go.

As far as games that lie to me... nothing comes to mind at the moment, other than daggerfall.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2009, 07:03:07 pm »

Suikoden Tierkreis has a really bad issue with fake battles.  They're just like normal battles except that you inexplicably do almost no damage to the enemy while they conversely do huge damage to you, and after a certain number of rounds if you haven't been wiped out the battle ends and it cuts to you complaining about getting your ass kicked.  It'd be fine if this happened just a few times, but it seems to happen almost every time you meet a new enemy, and even worse, you often meet them again not too soon after and find that they're significantly weaker and actually beatable.

They did this in Legend of Dragoon when you fought, uh, ugh, I don't even remember his name anymore.  The guy with the Dragon Buster who killed Lavitz (FFFFFFF- HE WAS THE COOLEST GUY IN THE GAME).  You did an arena tournament and if you lost any of the fights it would turn out your opponent was cheating or something, and then when you got to him he dodged every swing and did huge amounts of damage.

This constant railroading stuff is why I hate JRPGs.  They're not as much roleplaying games as linear action games with some non-story-affecting character customization.

Not that western CRPGs are much different.  Bioware games are full of fake choices where they give you multiple choices that give you the exact same reaction regardless.  Oblivion didn't even bother faking the choices most times.  Though the few times you do get dialogue options they usually all lead to the same exact outcome.  They also had those stupid idiotic scenes where they just freeze you in place for five seconds while some stupid NPC tries to insta kill someone, and misses his first attack while everyone just stands around waiting.  Then again, Oblivion's writing was almost universally horrible.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2009, 07:08:11 pm »

At least they present the illusion of choice.  JRPGs might as well just play the game for you (And in fact they have a game coming out soon that does just that on the easiest mode.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »

At least they present the illusion of choice.  JRPGs might as well just play the game for you (And in fact they have a game coming out soon that does just that on the easiest mode.

I demand more information.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2009, 07:45:47 pm »

I can't remember what it was called, there was a YouTube video for it.  It was technically an action game, not an RPG, but still.  The easiest difficulty mode, you just pushed one button over and over again and the character moved around and attacked for you.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2009, 07:56:19 pm »

I can't remember what it was called, there was a YouTube video for it.  It was technically an action game, not an RPG, but still.  The easiest difficulty mode, you just pushed one button over and over again and the character moved around and attacked for you.

So... was it meant to be a feature, or a parody?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2009, 08:08:40 pm »

Wasn't it something like Suikoden or Shenmue something like that? I don't remember which.

I remember playing a game that's more like a storyline action game that had cues sorta like that. I think either of those series is probably what you're talking about

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2009, 08:25:03 pm »

It's Bayonetta.  It hasn't come out yet.  It's a hack and slasher game action game like Devil May Cry.  There are apparently allot of differences in the details of gameplay but the most obvious difference is that the main character is female and designed primarily for sex appeal, but without hiding behind a shallow veneer of 'respectability' like Lara Croft or her contemporaries.  Her clothing is made out of her hair, as are most of the rest of her powers, so she gets progressively less clothed the more powerful the attacks you use.  The 'Very Easy Automatic' mode basically let's playing 'play' the game by simply pressing a single button repeatedly.  Oddly, you can still use all the other buttons for their usual functions.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:27:27 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 08:43:30 pm »

I'm almost positive that the Sith receptionist can get removed non-violently. I think that I ended up giving her like 100 credits and she said that she hated the sith anyway, and to wait until she left before we shot the place up. If memory serves, there was a squad of hostiles in a side room that would come out of a side room when she attacked, but if she just leaves, you can electrify them (always fun).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 09:14:14 pm »

I think you're confusing that with the one on Taris.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2009, 12:49:53 am »

HOW MANY RECEPTIONISTS DOES THE DARK SIDE HAVE?  Crikey, there seem to be a lot of women serving all-consuming evil as typists.

They also had those stupid idiotic scenes where they just freeze you in place for five seconds while some stupid NPC tries to insta kill someone, and misses his first attack while everyone just stands around waiting.

Oh damn, those were hilarious. 

"And now, you shall die!  RRAAAGH!"

*fwish*

"Damn, I missed."

"So, uh...  What do we do now?"

"I dunno.  Guess I'll just stare at you for a few moments before having a heart attack.  Oh wait, here- GAACK!"

*thud*

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:28 am »

You might be right . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2009, 02:46:49 am »

I distinctly remember the Manaan one because I tried it multiple times just to test it and cheated and everything.  Didn't change a thing.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2009, 02:48:57 am »

It's Bayonetta.  It hasn't come out yet.  It's a hack and slasher game action game like Devil May Cry.  There are apparently allot of differences in the details of gameplay but the most obvious difference is that the main character is female and designed primarily for sex appeal,

By making her look like Sarah Palin?
!!&!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5