Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: When a game lies to you  (Read 7475 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When a game lies to you
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 12:31:11 am »

ES3: Morrowind (plot spoiler)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dont' even remember that one. I remember the one where
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 12:37:09 am »

Oh yeah, that was another one...  :(

Another bummer for me was that you couldn't join the DB. Although the Morag Tong were cool too.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 12:54:57 am »

Let me think because I know I've been lied to by a videogame before

-Monster Rancher 3 on the MR3 disk. It doesn't change with rank.
-Hercs Adventures: NO the potion does not change! It will always turn you into a pig! The manual specifically states otherwise but it LIES!
-Too many tower defenses to count: A VERY common event is that "Upgrades" or even some of the best towers in the game are often less cost effective. Making them oftenly useless.
-Boarderlands: HOLY COW!!! How many items have hidden effects or don't do what it says it does? Maybe not a lie so much as the game was made stupid. Sure Fallout 3 did it too but not to the extent Boarderlands does.
-Black and White 2: There is a puzzle in the game. If I remember correctly the solution is actually to completely ignore the game. This caused many people to simply not know how to solve it.
-Super Mario RPG: Oddly enough in the manual it states that Mario is the main character. As the game goes on however he becomes the game's perspective. I wouldn't be concerned but people often argue this PURELY on the basis of "The manual says so" rather then any sort of literary/artistic sense.

Goodness yeah I am not going to get into plot...

I swear I'd have better examples then this. Isn't there a game that warns against using your powers, however beyond cutscenes this actually never pops up?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 01:32:25 am »

Pretty much every CRPG ever, but Bioware are particularly bad about this.  They love giving you apparent choices that all lead to the exact same reaction.  KoTOR was what really lead me to lose interest in Bioware games.  There's this one scene I remember in particular where you come into the Sith HQ on Manaan and the receptionist asks you what you're doing there.  You get like five options like attack, Make a bad excuse, use your bluff skill, use your diplomacy skill, or use force persuation to convince her nothing is the matter.  None of these work no matter what.  You can cheat your skills to max and she always reacts the exact same way by calling the security and then charging you suicidally with a stun baton or something similarly weak, while you have lightsabers.  There're several other instances of this that aren't quite as clear in my memory, but I think there's stuff like this on Taris and Korriban as well.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 02:07:24 am »

Pretty much every CRPG ever, but Bioware are particularly bad about this.  They love giving you apparent choices that all lead to the exact same reaction.  KoTOR was what really lead me to lose interest in Bioware games.  There's this one scene I remember in particular where you come into the Sith HQ on Manaan and the receptionist asks you what you're doing there.  You get like five options like attack, Make a bad excuse, use your bluff skill, use your diplomacy skill, or use force persuation to convince her nothing is the matter.  None of these work no matter what.  You can cheat your skills to max and she always reacts the exact same way by calling the security and then charging you suicidally with a stun baton or something similarly weak, while you have lightsabers.  There're several other instances of this that aren't quite as clear in my memory, but I think there's stuff like this on Taris and Korriban as well.
The game lying to you? nah.
The receptionist is lying, by implying a non-violent solution!
Also, maybe force of habit?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 03:13:29 am »

The game lying to you? nah.
Also, maybe force of habit?

Considering (Stun Baton vs. Lightsaber) = Dead, I can't imagine that being a very deep-rooted habit.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »

The sith have a receptionist? I'm picturing a middle aged woman with long, painted nails sitting at a desk surround by plastic plants and a water cooler with two hideously deformed evil guys in black chatting about last night's game.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

beefaroni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:15 pm »

F.E.A.R. is pretty guilty of this to a degree.

You're assured through much of the game that you'll be having plenty of help by your squad, or something along those lines, and they inexplicably keep dying, rendering you solo the whole dang game. Basically, you're teamed up with a redshirt squad throughout parts of the game. Apparently, yours is mauve. And also, when you come and think of it; mush less creepy ghostly stuff happens, and more combat occurs than you would believe.

Let's not forget, almost everytime you start getting all the pieces of the puzzle together, you just end up asking more questions.
I just finished this game(borrowed it from a friend) and all it is, is a short fps with decent effects. It wasn't scary and they totally stole all of the spooky scences from Max Payne. You being the "point man" is a way of justifying making a game with you blasting your way through hordes of enemies, by yourself. It's riduculous hundreds of dollars on a console that sells prettier versions of the same thing.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29:48 pm »

The sith have a receptionist? I'm picturing a middle aged woman with long, painted nails sitting at a desk surround by plastic plants and a water cooler with two hideously deformed evil guys in black chatting about last night's game.

She just used a generic sith female model.  Grey imperial officer ripoff uniform and all.

Oh yeah, another way that game lied to me is by pretending it took place around the same time period as Tales of the Jedi when in reality it took place in it's own alternate dimension where the sith are the Galactic Empire and have star destroyers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:31:53 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

beefaroni

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 06:36:41 pm »

I had fun playing KOTOR 2 because my goal was to kill everything possible, I remember an instance where you can you a force power to make someone jump off of a ledge, but the xbox verison of this didn't seem very polished.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 07:01:57 pm »

Neither did the PC version.  The game was rushed out the door in a horribly unfinished state and modders have been working since release to try to add back all the cut content still sitting on the disk unused.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2009, 09:14:13 pm »

While there are a number of outright deceitful things in FFX, such as the intimacy system and how Yojimbo works exactly, there's on thing that irritates me to no end:

Blitzball.

Perhaps not lying, but is definitely deceitful on the basis of it withholding VITAL information.

Some abilities have misleading descriptions. Anyone without a guide WILL NOT know what Volley shot does. It's one sentence long, and doesn't tell you anything useful.

Also, the subtleties of techcopying are never even hinted at. There's rules to it that are never elaborated on, but incredibly important.

Playing the game, you'll note that you can win abilities for your players. However, you'll also note that there are ALOT of abilities that your characters can have. So if you see an ability to be won, and don't know what it is, well you better have a guide, because the game isn't going to tell you if you don't already know. Is it an active ability? A passive ability? Is it any good? Enough to waste an hour playing through 2-3 matches to get? Who knows! You're on your own buddy!

In the very beginning, in your first match with the Luca Goers, this match is very hard not because the Luca Goers are very good. Nope, it's difficult because the game deliberately sabotages your chances at victory. First, while not a prerequisite, the mini-game to get the Jecht Shot is practically rigged against you from how it's sprung on you unexpectedly. Then when the game starts, you're NOT allowed to see your stats or arrange your team like you would in a normal non-story match. Then, in the second half at the 3rd minute, the game up and goes "Well, Tidus is too good of a Blitzball player, so we're taking him out and replacing him with Wakka, who is an inferior forward". You get no say in this, and changing characters is not possible in a normal game.

Certain characters are WAY WAY WAY better than others, but all stats travel along a linear, unchangeable line. So a minor character that is very sucky right now, could be a total team-destroyer 10 levels down the line. This is never told to you.

While the tutorial is nice, it never tells you about formations. As far as I know, there is no portion of the game the explains how formations work, nor does anything even hint that changing the formation might be useful. Personally, I never change from 'normal', because everything else causes the automated teammates to act retarded.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2009, 10:02:38 pm »

I agree about Blitzball. I had to spend a bit of time going through Gamefaqs to get things right.

Picking up team-destroyer Brother (The airship's pilot), and mastering the Jecht Shot and using minimal strategy was all that was necessary to win. I think I barely had to change characters, but it was also really late in the game I started to kick butt. But yeah, the beginning/1st run of the game really sucks.

If there's any chance to get a good ending to that substory, you have to master Jecht Shot, and net at least a 2-point lead for any chance to win. Wakka does suck (although not in the battlefield), and it was probably a good idea he had to retire.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2009, 11:40:32 pm »

She wasn't lying. There is a non-violent solution to the problem: When you finally get into the Sand Raiders' apartment using that disguse, don't offend the Sand Radiers, and you could somehow convince them to hand over the MacGuffin that "proves" that you killed them.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2009, 11:47:52 pm »

She wasn't lying. There is a non-violent solution to the problem: When you finally get into the Sand Raiders' apartment using that disguse, don't offend the Sand Radiers, and you could somehow convince them to hand over the MacGuffin that "proves" that you killed them.

Um... what?  You're talking about something completely different.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5