Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: When a game lies to you  (Read 7456 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: When a game lies to you
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2009, 04:03:03 am »

It's Bayonetta.  It hasn't come out yet.  It's a hack and slasher game action game like Devil May Cry.  There are apparently allot of differences in the details of gameplay but the most obvious difference is that the main character is female and designed primarily for sex appeal,

By making her look like Sarah Palin?

Not so much really.  No more than any other thin white woman who wears glasses and her hair up.  I'd say less than Tina Fey.

http://kalibreonline.com/2009/10/11/bayonetta-palins-sexier-sister/
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2009, 02:35:04 pm »

Oh my God.
They really aren't even trying to hide the fact that it was designed for sex appeal, were they?
It's just so blatantly obvious.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »

I'm replaying FFX after so long, and I'm just now finally noticing all the ATROCIOUSLY BAD references, symbolism, jokes, puns, and homages.

Examples:

In Guadosalam, a random townsperson says "Oh, you probably think we all look the same. You think we all look the same don't you?!". Getting crap past the radar anyone?

Seymour dies in the macalania temple arms outspread, like Jesus Christ.

I just noticed that Tidus is the only FF character to actually look japanese. In one scene he does an impression of a japanese person. "Oh, herro!"

In a way, it makes the game better. Not lying, but I suppose it's kind of terrible that I'm just noticing this stuff now.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2009, 12:03:40 am »

I'm replaying FFX after so long, and I'm just now finally noticing all the ATROCIOUSLY BAD references, symbolism, jokes, puns, and homages.

In a way, it makes the game better. Not lying, but I suppose it's kind of terrible that I'm just noticing this stuff now.
One scene that comes to mind is also when Tidus first hears of Macalania; he ends up calling it Macarena (of course, another atrocious reference).

Speaking of playing through it again; I might just take it up after I finish up Dissidia. FFX was a good game, X-2 wasn't too bad, but alot of it seemed to be designed for other demographics than those more familiar with the series. One thing that did help save it: a working Debug Mode (via Action Replay).

I have yet to come across one for X. I guess code lurkers gave up on finding it for the US edition.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2009, 12:22:32 am »

some of the worse examples of this I have seen:

1. final fantasy 9: there are several battles that, while hard, should be winnable, but if the game thinks you are doing too well, the boss just one-hit-kills you.

2. tales of legendia: even worse, same thing really, but the boss doesn't kill you, and is usually really easy. Last long enough and it knocks all of your characters over, dealing minor damage. Usually this would mean nothing, but in these cases it suddenly cuts to your characters whining about how strong the wimp is.

This was one of my favorite things about the Disgaea games. The "unwinnable" battles can be won with enough leveling, there are even cutscenes for when it happens.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2009, 01:03:49 am »

You mean Beatrice in FF9? If memory serves, you have "beat her" normally, then she'll one hit kill (or down to 1 hp) everyone.

I never really liked X. I'm not sure why, but my copy had serious playability issues.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]