Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: When a game lies to you  (Read 7452 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
When a game lies to you
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:47:49 pm »

ITT times when a game you're playing lies to you, either blatantly or in a subtle manner you only discovered later. No plot twists "Gasp, the character lied and was actually the villain!" stuff, but i mean actual gameplay; like having a Yes/No option but the same thing happens from either choice. It doesn't need to make sense or even be true, it just needs to feel at a personal level that "This game lied to me." So:

You don't die in Demon's Souls.
"But the screen says..." Yes, i know what the screen says. At first i was just as annoyed as anyone would be that "Oh shit, i died." but later i found out that the "You die" screen is not a traditional RPG game-over, or even a roguelike game-over. In fact, you don't "die" at all.

My reasoning behind this is that Demon's Souls has turned the players' own body into an item, a commodity that must be traded back and forth between the player and the game in order to allow the player to do what he wants; like using an item that gives a + to one stat and a - to another. (This is even reinforced by gameplay mechanics involving blue/black phantoms; something you can only do while in soul form!)
Your health bar is not a health bar in the normal sense of "If this hits zero, you will have to go to the loading screen and reload your save" No. Your health bar is actually more like a timer that's 'paused' and is only advanced or put into rewind when you come into contact with an enemy attack, or use a healing item. If the timer hits zero, your "body item" is destroyed and you must use a replacement body item (Stone of Empherial Eyes) to get another body. Alternately, you could view soul-form as a de-buffing "curse" that's placed on your character when his health reaches zero, that reduces your maximum health and can only be reversed by using the Stone of Empherial Eyes; like revival sickness in some MMOs.
Also, the soul points you lose when you die can be considered as a coin purse that will always drop when you die, and that the "blood stain" is just a fancier more abstract and in-theme way of drawing "Here is your money bag you dropped when you died"

If you don't believe any of that, then think of it like this:
If you could truely "die" in Demon's Souls, your soul form would be capable of destruction almost as much as your body is capable of, and you would be forced to re-load your game from a previous save (manually)

... All of this is opinion and conjecture (thus no real point in arguing over it) but it does make it more comfortable for people who can't handle a failure that involves losing time spent (like me)
Now, post the times when you (think) the game you're playing is lying to you!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:49:54 pm by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: When a game lies to you
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:42:12 pm »

Maybe portal? The cake was most certainly NOT a lie, it was just not reachable from in-game, except in images and the pre?post?-credits flythrough.

But everybody knows portal.

What about when the "no" answer olny leads to sialog that loops back to the original question?
Eh?
Eh!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »

Um . . . never?  Flavor text doesn't seem much like a lie to me, it's just there for adding flavor.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59:20 pm »

I would say the lying game lied to me, but it was telling the truth.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:22 pm »

What about when the "no" answer [only] leads to [dialog] that loops back to the original question?
Except in cases where the question is "Did you understand all that?" a question that has a "no" answer that leads back to the original question can be considered a lie, since the developer basically gave you a do-nothing option.

Image link related.
http://www.picsaway.com/view/howverylinearofyou-e838e45279.gif
(Image is of the NES game Dragon Quest (?) where the player is given a Yes/No answer that leads back to the original question. "Dost thou love me, anon? [No] But thou must! Dost thou love me, anon?" and so on, until the player answers 'Yes'.)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »

This made me think more of when something turns out to be not what you thought it would. Actually, the example I thought of was at the beginning of System Shock 2, Polito tells you to come and meet her up on deck 4 or whatever. OK, no biggie. Oh wait...it takes me 7 hours and 3 decks before I can activate the elevator that takes me to deck 4. And the rest of the game is the same.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:17:00 pm »

Mondo Medicals (and possibly Mondo Agency?) pretty much lives to lie to and deceive you in the puzzles, including the instructions given for solving some of them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:59 pm »

Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark lied by telling me it would be possible to save the guy trapped in the sword. Its hinted several times but in the end he just stays trapped in the sword. I wasn't disapointed anyway, he was a good sword, I just wish there was an actual way of saving him.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:28:43 pm »

F.E.A.R. is pretty guilty of this to a degree.

You're assured through much of the game that you'll be having plenty of help by your squad, or something along those lines, and they inexplicably keep dying, rendering you solo the whole dang game. Basically, you're teamed up with a redshirt squad throughout parts of the game. Apparently, yours is mauve. And also, when you come and think of it; mush less creepy ghostly stuff happens, and more combat occurs than you would believe.

Let's not forget, almost everytime you start getting all the pieces of the puzzle together, you just end up asking more questions.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Rainbow Six: Vegas are both pretty guilty in that same, Vegas to a lesser degree though. In vegas you think the action will be swat style during the whole game and the game promisses utmost realism, but then in the 2nd half of the game they just throw you solo at random missions against a whole damn army and wounded soldiers can be healed by a shot of some magical substance. So yea, totally realistic.

CoD: Modern warfare is guilty all around. Your squad may kill off the enemy by its own on the beggining, but soon enough you'll notice they won't advance without you, and enemies just won't stop respawning if you don't complete a certain objective. I sorta saw it comming though, all CoD games depict american soldiers as superheroes and the enemy troops as expendable peons. That, plus the fact your health regenerates faster then Wolverine's sorta made CoD seem nothing more then a gimmicky shooter made to be played online.
For Armok's sake, even Farcry's health system is more realistic.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 09:50:43 pm »

An entire game lied to me; Dark Messiah. How dare they call it Might and Magic! As opposed to being the detailed adventure game I wanted, it was no more than a single path, low-plot, simple, first person shooter game. I was extremely unhappy with that game, but it was also the first booby-game I ran into; with cool looking graphics but no substance.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:25:18 pm »

I think it's funny how so many people are divided on Dark Messiah.  Some love the multiplayer and hate the singleplayer, others love the singleplayer and hate the multiplayer, and the rest love or hate both aspects in roughly equal terms.

I personally enjoyed Dark Messiah quite a bit.  Admittedly, I do not have a history of happy memories with Might and Magic to be defiled.  And the game most certainly does not live up to its potential.  Not even a fraction of it.  Damn shame nobody has been able to mod it into something better yet.

As for lying games, Half-Life 2.  Physics puzzles?  You've got ONE FRICKIN' SEESAW and you dare say that the game has physics puzzles?  For shame, for shame...  Although I suppose the real physics puzzle was figuring out how many ways you could kill people with the gravity gun.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:19:30 am »

Mass Effect was full of such lies of false choices. While certain characters may die depending on your choices, in the end the story is completely unchanged. The only difference being that the main character is either Satan or Gandhi.
!!&!!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 01:04:01 am »

An entire game lied to me; Dark Messiah. How dare they call it Might and Magic! As opposed to being the detailed adventure game I wanted, it was no more than a single path, low-plot, simple, first person shooter game. I was extremely unhappy with that game, but it was also the first booby-game I ran into; with cool looking graphics but no substance.

I wish I could agree with you.  Unfortunately, my graphics card/driver(s)/RAM/whatever is too wimpy to play the game.  It likes to hang up.  In fact, it hangs up so hard that it takes 10-15 minutes for me to finally close the game with the task manager and get Windows running normally again.  It's much faster to do a hard reboot.

Mass Effect was full of such lies of false choices. While certain characters may die depending on your choices, in the end the story is completely unchanged. The only difference being that the main character is either Satan or Gandhi.

Sounds like Mass Effect is no different from most CRPGs.  Very few meaningful consequences for your choices aside from maybe a single decision made at the end of the game that determines which ending you get.  The meaningless decisions you make in most such games (I'm looking at you, KotOR) boil down to playing Jesus or a card-carrying, cackling villain, with an occasional third option (as the "good" option, only you ask for a reward, but the reward you get is often less than the "good" option gets).

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 12:22:39 am »

ES3: Morrowind (plot spoiler)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5