Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma oceans in world gen  (Read 946 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma oceans in world gen
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:09:50 pm »

Is it possible to swap the entries for water and magma in the raws or something, such that oceans are made of magma rather than water? I'd love to build a proper undermagma fortress rather than one suspended in a magma pipe or (ugh so cheap) an artificial pipe. Is it possible to create a blasted hellscape where the very seas are molten rock, or are water oceans locked?

User

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Magma oceans in world gen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 06:20:53 pm »

I'm afraid that water and magma are completely hard-coded.

However, you can probably play around with the heat resistance of your poor critters to make them suffer from contact with water. Although at this point, they will be locked undderground as aboveground conditions will murder them too.

Or you can pretend that water is deadlier given the astounding quantity of murderous creatures you modded in your oceans. A flying, firebreathing deathshark? Why, yes, indeed. It's friends with the lightning tentacle shrimp, you know, the one with the permanent paralysing poison.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 12:55:13 am »

or just re-buff the carp to be hardcore again.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 01:06:03 am »

There may be something like this in the next release, at least underground anyways.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:54:59 am »

There may be something like this in the next release, at least underground anyways.

That would be unbelievably fantastically perfect, but at this point I'm experimenting with modding the HOMEOTHERM tag on everything else such that liquid water is extremely hot by comparison. I can't run furnaces off of it, but I can have my (blue) magma sea tower.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:02:00 pm »

Why don't you just make your own sea of lava? Stick some walls around the edge of the map, and get some wind-pumps going?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 02:04:56 pm »

Why don't you just make your own sea of lava? Stick some walls around the edge of the map
Even better, just simply pump it out, magma doesn't flow out of the edges.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:47:56 pm »

Subrosian fortress would be fun, admittedly.  I'll have to save that one in the ole idea bank.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 08:56:54 pm »

While not possible for the whole world, it is possible to replace all water on a map with magma using For Each Tile in Tweak.

If you know how to use for each tile you could even set parameters to have more control over magma replacement, for example replacing all the wwater on the surface but keeping underground rivers and aquifer water unharmed by making it check for the subterranian tag before replacing.

Or just do what I do, find a hilly location, program for each tile to add a 7 tile of magma to all non-underground, non-wall spaces on the map under a certain altitude. Execute. Boom, instant desolate magma ocean landscape with your fortress situated on an island.  You may have to dig a 1 tile channel near the magma to get the flow activating, and trees seem completely immune to the harmful effects of being multiple z levels under molten lava, but other than that you couldn't tell the difference.

P.S. From what I hear of Dtil it may be possible to do it in that as well, but I never used Dtil
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:00:39 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!