Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Glass?  (Read 4225 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass?
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 04:44:13 pm »

Glass can definitely be made into statues - my last fortress had a pair of clear glass statues just outside the front gates, serving to restrict caravans from entering via any other path.
You're right about that.  I must have overlooked it when looking for it, once.  And since then I've just assumed I was right.  Time to make some statues.

Also, I seem to recall that statues and windows effectively count double toward created wealth if you (b)uild them - once for the item itself, and again for Architectural value.
I had no idea.  That's outstanding.  That definitely puts Statues and Windows ahead of the Goblets for Fortress wealth.  Also, it means I need to start plocking my inventory down, all over the damn place.  No reason to have it sitting around in a stockpile, is there?

For per-tile value, though, the Translucent Lime Cuisinart still rocks your socks (though it takes a stone).  Just don't fall asleep on it.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 07:14:13 pm »

In my current fort, I have a masterwork crystal glass statue. It's worth 3000 dwarfbucks.

Just putting that out there.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 07:41:29 pm »

Gold and Steel masterwork statues are worth a whopping 9000.
If you want OVER 9000, the best value statue would be Platinum (IIRC, 12000) before you-know-what.

I once outfitted my entire communist (rent : off) fort with clear glass cabinets, coffers, tables and chairs, dfcompanion showed everyone hovering around 350-500 happiness, so if you have magma, go for it, but if I had to do it again, I'd just wait for sieges, melt iron into steel, etc, as this comes by in much larger quantities, is meltable if you get "only exceptional" items and you don't like it, and is much more valuable considering its lack of rarity. Magma makes it even more in favor of steel as green glass's value is purely esthetic compared to the work required to get metal.

But the clear glass color is worth it :)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:46 pm »

But I don't have sieges on an island. Just wolves and sparring injuries.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 04:30:59 am »

If you want OVER 9000, the best value statue would be Platinum (IIRC, 12000) before you-know-what.

Unfortunately, try as they might dwarven furnace operators have yet to successfully extract platinum from a bag of sand.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 05:38:47 am »

Unfortunately, try as they might dwarven furnace operators have yet to successfully extract platinum from a bag of sand.

This sounds like a job for Science!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 06:22:10 am »

Y' know, there probably are trace amounts of platinum in sand.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: 1 2 [3]