Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39776 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2009, 07:55:51 pm »

Does the phrase "top-secret treaty" strike anyone else as asinine?  Just me?  What is this, 1913?  There's no such thing as a secret treaty, and sure as Hell not for some kind of draconian international super-law cooked up by an independent think tank that violates several articles of most industrial nations' statute governance.
I have to agree with you there.  That was one of the things I was trying to imply earlier when I asked why a nation would hold treaty negotiations in secret.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2009, 07:58:11 pm »

There's no such thing as a secret treaty
You would know! :D

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:51 pm »

There's no such thing as a secret treaty
You would know! :D
Logically there should be no such thing as a secret treaty. It goes against the idea.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2009, 08:05:22 pm »

Nope, five.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2009, 08:06:39 pm »

My goodness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2009, 08:06:44 pm »

Secret Treaty would mean that they written this up.

Get all the governments they can to enact it at once so that the populous have little time or ability to act.

The US Government already mastered media control to a degree where I would be outraged.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »

They probably acknowledged that true secrecy was impossible, but instead chose to have it appear as merely a conspiracy theory with [citation needed] all over it, until it was too late...
Eh?
Eh!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:06 pm »

My God, the guvmint has mastered the use of Wikipedia?  Who will stop them now?

Really, if you've seen the hilariously crappy attempts by Senators and the CIA to try to forcibly lock information into wikis, you'd realize just how unlikely any treaty-making body would even attempt such a convoluted plan as faking its own existence, let alone pull it off.  News of the treaty's writing (if it's real) got out, didn't it?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2009, 08:54:33 pm »

Yes, but it was assumed, by almost everybody here, to be at least somewhat unlikely. It took a printed newspaper to convince me it was real, and not just a remote possibility. With all the lies, conspiracy theories, and paranoia in the internet, not to mention other random clutter, who could take that seriously at first glance? Maybe you can, but some doubt will remain.
Eh?
Eh!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2009, 08:58:29 pm »

Oh lawd its in tha newspapah? It must be the truth!

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2009, 09:07:33 pm »

A little bit of Armok will ensure the countries that do pass it are going to suffer much chaos and destruction.
That, and black magic doesn't hurt.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2009, 09:28:38 pm »

From what I understand, the treaty has two main functions:

1: To establish the laws universally through all the treaty nations.
2: To ensure that these governments will work together in these lawsuits and criminal investigations.

Thus, any violations would basically be treated like any other law violation, with the added ability of these agencies to reach across national borders. However, I can't say that I know any of that for sure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2009, 10:32:16 pm »

So has it or has it not yet appeared in any reputable media outlet
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2009, 10:52:14 pm »

2: To ensure that these governments will work together in these lawsuits and criminal investigations.

Thus, any violations would basically be treated like any other law violation, with the added ability of these agencies to reach across national borders.

Really, the more I hear this described, the harder it is to fathom any nation ever adopting such a "treaty".  Am I the only one having this problem?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2009, 10:52:19 pm »

From what I understand, the treaty has two main functions:

Thus, any violations would basically be treated like any other law violation, with the added ability of these agencies to reach across national borders. However, I can't say that I know any of that for sure.

Read it carefully; ISP's have to cut off internet to anyone who is accused of violating copyright immediately. If this treaty passes, i can accuse The NASA site of violating copyright, and NASA's ISP is duty bound by law to shut the site down right then and there.

Note also that the treaty claims to be voulentary, but then states that the entire world must adopt US style "notice-and-takedown" rules.

DRM can never be broken; ever. If i buy a copy of [GAME] and i elect to make a copy of [GAME] for a backup, i've just violated this treaty.

Services like Youtube, Flickr and Myspace will all have to be shut-down, as the treaty demands that ISP's proactively police copyright violations on sites, and proactively policing copyright violations on a site like Youtube is, quite simply, impossible.

Basically; this treaty is absurd, i find it extremely difficult to feel that it's actually real and not some giant joke. At the very least i would really like to know who is supporting it, and what their angle is; it can't be to get this treaty passed, because it won't.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26