Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39718 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2009, 04:47:25 pm »

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19709_1-10390861-10.html

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/11/policy-laundering/

I'll be honest, you guys have kinda offended me. I'm not bothered at all by the skepticism towards the story, which I find completely understandable, but rather just your general rudeness and 'tinfoil-hattery' shit. All I'm doing is checking google news and posting results... I don't recall seeing any claims of alien abduction up there.

So yeah, I raise my middle finger in your general direction, and I take my leave of this forum. I'm not some schmuck who buys into every stupid wacko conspiracy story that I see and I'm generally a fairly moderate guy, and found this alarming and interesting. And I've been posting here long enough to where I expected I wouldn't be treated as if I'd just, y'know, logged on as a guest and said 'hey. this is real, BETTER BELEIVE ME'.

Possibly I'm over-reacting a bit but I still feel rather insulted and have no real interest in posting here anymore. Au revoir, DF is a great game, thanks Toady! I'll still play faithfully. :)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2009, 04:53:20 pm »

Nicely done, people. You've arsed him out.

On a general note:

I'm not sure if this is BS or not BS, but if it gets through,
It's time for another revolution.

However, what I think is much more important:
How can the government be so lobby'd that the mere entertainment industry can even make the government seriously think about this crap?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »

I agree, Dwarf.  If the government passes an unenforceable law that would interfere with our warez were it enforceable, we should respond by trying to overthrow said government.

It's the only logical course of action.
Shoes...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 05:44:53 pm »

If they even dare try, I will create my own internet network, a distributed ISP, where each local node is aware of others, and IP addresses are based on server IDs, at differing levels. Connecting to your neighbor only routes it through the street's server, etc.

Then, if they even TRIED to take it down, it would come to bloodshed, because if there is one thing that people wouldn't do, it would be to give up a worldwide LAN and all remaining freedom. Only a nuclear threat would precent it, but can the government risk dying in their bunkers, the last thousand humans in existance, all because they needed total contol of the internet?
Eh?
Eh!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »

What sounds frightening to me is that anyone would try this treaty as it currently appears.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 06:15:17 pm »

The thing is, that can't!

Now that the public has seen an especially disturbing specimin, they will have developed a natural immune response to all similar legal viruses!

But seriously, the leak of that, even if fake, will have quadrupled(at least) the number of people who will scrutinize anything even remotely similar, with the terror of absolute governmental control of the entire internet as a looming shadow of the future.

Likely, half the army would quit(Though this is just speculation, living in a diffrent country and all), if not more, and anyone with an atom of ethics will refuse to implement it, for fear of the force that will be required to enforce it fully(Borders on global thermonuclear war).

The USB storage and custom OS industry will skyrocket, as well as the existance of self-organizing WIFI network software that would allow all computers with the capability to join together to share information.

The information spread speed would diminish rapidly, but if such networks grew around intercontenental trunk lines of unimpeded data transmission, as well as any unmonitored or unblockable internet link, everything will proceed as usual, only the governments will have lost all hope of control, short of militart force, and even that would result in riots and military deserters.

There, I have predicted the results of 2012, the fall of the internet as we know it, and rise of the NewNet, a place where true anonymity is possible, and nobody can even own a fraction of what an ISP does today.
Eh?
Eh!

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:25 pm »

Now that I think about it, why do this in secret?  Though I may be mistaken, I don't think there's any reason to have treaty negotiations in secret except to hide something bad in the treaty you don't want people to know about, by reason of it making most people angry.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2009, 07:29:05 pm »

Semi-free(As in not restricted by the government) access is one of the only things preventing a true totalitarian society from starting. One wouldn't last, but as long as the internet is allowed to remain unrestricted, too much retalitory rage would exist.
Eh?
Eh!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2009, 07:40:43 pm »

Possibly I'm over-reacting a bit

Well, you're over-reacting to people not agreeing with you, that's for sure.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2009, 07:54:18 pm »

Possibly I'm over-reacting a bit

Well, you're over-reacting to people not agreeing with you, that's for sure.
To be fair, some of you guys could have been a bit less blunt.
Just so I remember

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2009, 07:57:00 pm »

Well, sure, but it IS the internet. if you post conspiracy theories, you should be ready to hear them called tinfoil hattery and worse. And have a thick skin, which you should have on the internet no matter what.

Also, I didn't see any snarkiness other than what he started and there weren't even any personal attacks on him

In any case, I'm not worried about this being real but I guess time will tell
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2009, 08:03:57 pm »

I'll be following this with interest.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 08:04:19 pm »

In any case, I'm not worried about this being real but I guess time will tell

I used to feel this way before I enfrancised, now I'm looking it in a way that'll effect me when I'm older. We seriously need to put up a fight now for this sort of thing so we can live a better future. Unfortunately theres alot of garbage on the internet and some of the more serious stuff gets drowned. But this is acctuall happen, right now. Behind our backs. We have a right to know, governments work for us, not the other way around. On that note, i emailed my local MP (which is Alistar Darling LAWL) and contacted the local oppostition party. Never underestimate the power of a single voice.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 10:29:45 pm »

tinfoil hattery
hur hur
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26