Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39676 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2012, 06:46:34 pm »

Why are some of you hoping for violence? I don't get it. Deciding to kill a bunch of people would be worse than ACTA.
Because it feels like there's no other option. No other way of getting the point across. Non-violent protest is being ignored or bypassed.

There's also the hope that a little violence now will prevent a lot of violence later. It's never a good thing when civil rights abuses are allowed time to settle in to the bureaucracy and societal norms. That makes getting rid of the abuses that much more difficult. That the abuses in question are intent on damaging what's more or less the best damn invention our species has managed so far just makes things worse.

But of course, as Salmon and Whispers said, if it didn't come to that, everyone involved would be a hell of a lot happier. Pretty much everyone would prefer it if the people in power would stop the stupid shit before the actual people being made into collateral damage by said stupid shit are left with violence is the only recourse. S'just, yanno', some of us aren't seeing the chances of that happening as being very high :-\
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:53:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2012, 06:52:40 pm »

There's also the hope that a little violence now will prevent a lot of violence later. It's never a good thing with civil rights abuses are allowed time to settle in to the bureaucracy and societal norms. That makes getting rid of the abuses that much more difficult. That the abuses in question are intent on damaging what's more or less the best damn invention our species has managed so far just makes things worse.

Exactly.  It's not so much about ACTA.  It's about what comes after ACTA.  It's about what corporations and governments will be able to get away with after they gain even more control over information than they already have, more ability to claim legal ownership of anything they feel like, and more ways to legally destroy anyone they feel like.

I love my file sharing, but I wouldn't kill over it.  That's not a life and death matter.  But there's a lot of other implications to consider with things like ACTA that really are.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2012, 06:58:25 pm »

*Sips glass of rum*
And so it is, that the information age comes to its knees and rioting and violence become the voice of the common man, when everything else has turned a blind eye. And what bought about this state of anarchy? Not kings, nor generals, nor gods themselves, but the very information we prized, being covenanted by those that see it as not enlightenment, but a commodity.

What? Somebody has to narrate and I don't see why it can't be me.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:45 pm »

And so it is, that the information age comes to its knees and rioting and violence become the voice of the common man, when everything else has turned a blind eye. And what bought about this state of anarchy? Not kings, nor generals, nor gods themselves, but the very information we prized, being covenanted by those that see it as not enlightenment, but a commodity.[/i]

Totally read this in Morgan Freeman's voice xD

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

You can't narrate because you don't know what words you are using, Max.
Love, scriver~

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2012, 07:11:37 pm »

And so it is, that the information age comes to its knees and rioting and violence become the voice of the common man, when everything else has turned a blind eye. And what bought about this state of anarchy? Not kings, nor generals, nor gods themselves, but the very information we prized, being covenanted by those that see it as not enlightenment, but a commodity.[/i]

That's infringement.  Criminal.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »

Get out of my mind.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2012, 09:09:44 pm »

Neat, A little more time in this thread, and I should be able to meet my weekly depression quota.

Then again, I'd be lying if I said I didn't get excited just wondering about what happens next. That slight increase in heart rate that tells me there's a possibility of something big happening is something I've been feeling quite a lot lately. Not that I like ACTA, of course. But it sure as hell has the potential to mix things up a bit.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2012, 09:17:23 pm »

Ron Perlman for me.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2012, 09:23:38 pm »

Ron Perlman for me.

Now I keep switching between Ron Perlman and Morgan Freeman. I have never been so confused, and yet so aroused...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2012, 09:26:04 pm »

Maybe I can help you out a little...

War. War never changes...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:58 pm »

Maybe I can help you out a little...

War. War never changes...

Oh man. Perlman can make or break a movie with that voice. Every seen the movie "Mutant Chronicles"? Without the voiceover, that movie is horrible. And with it, it is actually kinda cool.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:57 pm »

Control the media, control the mind.

Yay, lets remove the last standing good source of information the world has, and turn it into another profit venue.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »

Totally off-topic, but humorous.

>Read thread in unread posts.
>Read first post
>Oh fuck, the government went wild and made super–SOPA!
>See Lord Dullard leaving
>Oh shit! He's such a cool guy!
>Send heartfelt PM to LD
>Find he comes back later. Breath sigh of relief, then laugh at myself.
>Read intently.
>Realize thread was made in 2009.
>I'm an idiot.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2012, 11:14:16 pm »

Can you give me a list of sources? A guy  on another forums I go to is convicned that ACTA is far better than SOPA and all that it does is prevent inter-country trade for pirating.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26