Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39648 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #345 on: January 27, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »

If this shit doesn't cause violent rebellion in at least some countries, then fuck this. I have lost all faith in mankind.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:47 pm »

Propaganda has won in the past, and if we let it it could win again.

That's just the thing.  The government needs the support of the people.  They can enforce their will, but that only works up to a point.  The people enforcing that will aren't the presidents and ceos themselves, after all.  They're the guy living just down the street from you, with the patrol cruiser in his driveway.  Those people have to be willing to enforce the rules, which isn't likely if they're going to hate themselves afterwards or their friends or family are going to hate them.

Which is why it's all about propaganda, and silencing the opposition.  Manufacturing consent is easy with a populace that is never exposed to an opposing viewpoint.  Even if everyone has that opposing viewpoint, they have to be able to express it to each other in order to realize that they're not alone.

That's what PTTG is saying.  Governments and corporations realize that if there is enough honest public exposure to this issue, that they will lose.  That's why they're fighting the way they are.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #347 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:58 pm »

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/01/27/2152219/flaw-in-youtube-takedown-process-exposed

One reason all this copyright enforcement BS is so screwed up. An unsigned band is not able to upload its own original music to youtube because someone else from universal music "accidentally" uploaded it before them.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 27, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »

Europe didn't complain, they were pressured by its citizens to defend people who's human rights were threatened, and proceeded to wage war. Guess what, now it's Europe vs it's citizens.
...Is it?  This seems like hyperbole to say the least.

If this shit doesn't cause violent rebellion in at least some countries, then fuck this. I have lost all faith in mankind.
Why should it cause violent rebellion when the majority of people aren't necessarily gonna be affected by ACTA?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #349 on: January 27, 2012, 05:37:43 pm »

Europe didn't complain, they were pressured by its citizens to defend people who's human rights were threatened, and proceeded to wage war. Guess what, now it's Europe vs it's citizens.
...Is it?  This seems like hyperbole to say the least.
Sadly not :(

Although I also agree, I don't see worldwide rebellion over this matter any time soon. What's the point of human rights if humanity is dead :/

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2012, 05:38:24 pm »

Quote from: wikipedia
In November 2008, the Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII) requested secret Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) documents from the EU Council, specifically naming 12 documents to be published. The request was denied by the EU council, stating that "disclosure of this information could impede the proper conduct of the negotiations, would weaken the position of the European Union in these negotiations and might affect relations with the third parties concerned".

I read that as "we want to keep all the strings in our hands, so fuck you because we're not going to give you any information that could be used against us.

Also, I wonder who those third parties are.

June? I think that's enough time to sell your soul to the Devil.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »

Although I also agree, I don't see worldwide rebellion over this matter any time soon. What's the point of human rights if humanity is dead :/
...Nope, it really is hyperbole.  Firstly because Europe isn't a country and any crackdowns on ACTA protests are fairly localised.  Secondly because the majority of people don't care about ACTA because they don't use the internet that much.  Sure, it might be important to us, but not everyone shares our hobbies.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »

...Nope, it really is hyperbole.  Firstly because Europe isn't a country and any crackdowns on ACTA protests are fairly localised.  Secondly because the majority of people don't care about ACTA because they don't use the internet that much.  Sure, it might be important to us, but not everyone shares our hobbies.

I think you're thinking too small. If legislation like this goes unopposed, it doesn't just effect the number of people currently existing, it effects everyone that's yet to even come into this world and develop those hobbies.

In other words, all of posterity is threatened by the corruption of those in power.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

Sure, and I am against ACTA, but I can see why most people wouldn't care, and can't really blame them for not caring.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2012, 06:16:41 pm »

Sure, and I am against ACTA, but I can see why most people wouldn't care, and can't really blame them for not caring.

The only excuse I can see would be ignorance.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »

The only excuse I can see would be ignorance.

Considering this effects so much more than just piracy on the internet, yes.  I think just about everyone should have some reason to care about this thing.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2012, 06:30:45 pm »

Why are some of you hoping for violence? I don't get it. Deciding to kill a bunch of people would be worse than ACTA.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »

Why are some of you hoping for violence? I don't get it. Deciding to kill a bunch of people would be worse than ACTA.
>Implies we've been promoting rioting, killing and violence.

Again, awareness is what we're trying to spread.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:16 pm »

I don't think anyone has said that they're hoping for violence.  A few have said that they're so overwhelmed by the obvious corruption dominating the world today, that it might come down to that as a last resort.

And it's debatable whether or not that would be worse than ACTA.  It could have very far-reaching implications.  It halts a great deal of humanity's potential, and is guaranteed to enable greater amounts of institutional corruption than we already have, which will lead to a general global increase in suffering.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »

A good government isn't one without corruption, it's one that simply has healthy outlets for it. Corruption is an inevitable result of power, power an inevitable result of society. Basically, we need to get politicians more high-class whores and duck moats.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26