Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39668 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:49 pm »

Affordability of medicines is one of the hottest topics in the overall intellectual property debate.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2012, 12:00:10 am »

Ah, I see.
So you mean we are also fighting large pharmaceutics? Son of a...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2012, 12:06:29 am »

Ah, I see.
So you mean we are also fighting large pharmaceutics? Son of a...

Yup.  My dad works for one of them.  He's a globally respected pharmacokineticist.    He's also been rather nervous lately.  Several of their most profitable drugs have patents set to expire soon, and they don't have any good breakthroughs in the pipeline anytime soon.  There's been a lot of tension in the corporate side of things lately, because they expect a major drop in profits.  They've been throwing themselves pretty heavily at IP legislation lately.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:03 am »

I'm doubtful of the effectiveness of protests and roits. Look at the annual G8 and G20 roits/protests. Predictible balls-out protests and even violence hasn't discouraged them at all.

French MEP quits ACTA 'charade' in protest at EU signing

Ugh, the French are always right...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:44:04 am by Montague »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2012, 12:40:55 am »

http://thedailywh.at/2012/01/26/photo-of-the-day-18/
Polish opposition dons Guy Fawkes masks in protest of ACTA signing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2012, 12:46:11 am »

Heh, that is amazing...
Sort of makes me want to go see what 4chan is up to.
Then I remember that I have no interest in seeing what 4chan is up to, and are happy to watch the aftermath... Still, they must be having a party!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:35 am »

We need Anonymous to get its act together and start publicizing darknet. We can outrun the aging government.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2012, 11:03:59 am »

He's also been rather nervous lately.  Several of their most profitable drugs have patents set to expire soon, and they don't have any good breakthroughs in the pipeline anytime soon.  There's been a lot of tension in the corporate side of things lately, because they expect a major drop in profits. 
This is how the system is supposed to work, though - you aren't supposed to keep profiting off the same stuff - you make progress, or you die (economically, of course), making room for those who are managing to create new stuff and giving them additional resources to work with based off your expired patents. That's how the incentive structure works.

If they can't figure out how to make new stuff, the solution isn't to let them keep making profits - it's to let them go out of business, because their benefit to society has ended.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2012, 11:25:51 am »

Meanwhile in Poland... There was a little scandal. Apparently, after the Sejm commitee has passed a desideratum urging the Prime Minister to postpone signing of ACTA, someone called the next day. A woman, who claimed to speak from the USA embassy, were asking questions, trying to learn how it was possible. She asked, for example, how many deputized voted for and against it and if there were "Sejm discipline" (it's a practice which most of the Polish parties try to enforce - every deputy has to vote according to the official party line). The press office of the embassy, when the curious reporters called, claimed they don't know about any such event. Still, most of the deputes are somewhat pissed.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:27 pm »

welp...i've known the end times were coming for quite a while...i almost feel horible for knowing that this stuff would happen...while i'm tempted to go don one of those mask and hope to do something against the goverment(as long as its non-violent)...i realy cant since i'm 70% certain anon will go start focusing on getting rid of religion(indoctrination will probably be their rally cry against it) after their ideals are widely supported and goverments shift twords them...

unfortunitly...for the time being, it looks like anon is the lesser of evils...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

He's also been rather nervous lately.  Several of their most profitable drugs have patents set to expire soon, and they don't have any good breakthroughs in the pipeline anytime soon.  There's been a lot of tension in the corporate side of things lately, because they expect a major drop in profits. 
This is how the system is supposed to work, though - you aren't supposed to keep profiting off the same stuff - you make progress, or you die (economically, of course), making room for those who are managing to create new stuff and giving them additional resources to work with based off your expired patents. That's how the incentive structure works.

If they can't figure out how to make new stuff, the solution isn't to let them keep making profits - it's to let them go out of business, because their benefit to society has ended.

Oh, I know, and I agree.  Regardless of the ideal, the company's motivation is still going to be to use the resources available to them to pre-empt their own obsolescence by hacking the system, when they know there's not much chance of conducting business legitimately.  IP law is just one such backdoor that gives them the opportunity.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:58 pm »

Hilariously enough, Twitter has just announced plans to censor itself, to bring it into compliance with various government restrictions around the world.  After being "instrumental" in the Arab uprisings (for about a day or two each), this has a lot of people pretty ticked off.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »

Hilariously, every masked member of Anonymous is paying funds directly into the pockets of Time Warner by buying their licensed V for Vendetta Guy Fawkes masks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2012, 02:45:11 pm »

Then I remember that I have no interest in seeing what 4chan is up to, and are happy to watch the aftermath... Still, they must be having a party!

As I recall, one of the ACTA threads turned into a flame war, that turned into a thread about orange soda. Meanwhile, the useful parts of 4chan are pissed, and talks of riots, demonstrations and other means of protest are ongoing.

Hilariously, every masked member of Anonymous is paying funds directly into the pockets of Time Warner by buying their licensed V for Vendetta Guy Fawkes masks.

Unless they buy Guy Fawkes masks, and not V ones. Or if they don't buy them from Time Warner. Also, try to stay on topic, this is about ACTA not who likes/hates anonymous :/

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2012, 02:49:22 pm »

As I recall, one of the ACTA threads turned into a flame war, that turned into a thread about orange soda. Meanwhile, the useful parts of 4chan are pissed, and talks of riots, demonstrations and other means of protest are ongoing.

Unless they buy Guy Fawkes masks, and not V ones. Or if they don't buy them from Time Warner. Also, try to stay on topic, this is about ACTA not who likes/hates anonymous :/
I don't hate Anonymous. Not in the least. But it is INCREDIBLY ironic that they're protesting bigmedia while wearing something purchased directly from one of the biggest companies.

And no, you cannot find a plain Guy Fawkes mask anymore basically anywhere outside of maybe the UK itself. They're ALL licensed V for Vendetta masks.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26