Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39683 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »

It's times like these that tend to confuse me. Where I can't tell if the governments are made up of sinister masterminds with everything figured out, or idiots who have no idea what the hell they're doing...
It's made of sinister masterminds with everything figured out controlling idiots who have no idea what the hell they're doing.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2012, 08:47:56 pm »

I am sincerely interested in seeing how they enforce this law.

Simple, they ignore it until they find a website they want to burn, then use it to take them down.
What, you thought they were going to try and police the entire internet? Not likely, only things they don't like that they can't take down through other means.

I mean fuck, did you know Cadbury has copy write on a specific shade of purple? They could take down your site for using the wrong color, but nobody is going to sit there checking the hex codes of every web page! Instead they find something they hate, and comb over it for any minute detail and use it against you.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. I've been worried that they would actually be retarded enough to try controlling the entire World Wide Web.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 26, 2012, 08:52:50 pm »

I am sincerely interested in seeing how they enforce this law.

Simple, they ignore it until they find a website they want to burn, then use it to take them down.
What, you thought they were going to try and police the entire internet? Not likely, only things they don't like that they can't take down through other means.

I mean fuck, did you know Cadbury has copy write on a specific shade of purple? They could take down your site for using the wrong color, but nobody is going to sit there checking the hex codes of every web page! Instead they find something they hate, and comb over it for any minute detail and use it against you.

They had a very lengthy legal battle with Darrell Lea, an Australian chocolate company, over the use of purple; for all I know, it's still ongoing.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:43 pm »

I've checked the claims on the back on their bars, they say they have copy write to it. Hoping that isn't true right now...
Seriously, I can think of nothing more open source than the visible light spectrum.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:14 pm »

I must agree with everyone that rioting won't do anything. But when you're out of options, what else could you do?

Note that I totally abhor riots, since they bring more problems to the table than solutions (and may even kill others).

I hope we can find a solution out of this mess that doesn't involve rioting. SOPA had enough time for publicity, and was prevented from becoming law because of that. But this one just suddenly woke up from the grave, announced that it'll become law in a few days without warning and suddenly got signed by the UK.

We must find a way to stop the other governments doing the same.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:41 pm »

There were four deaths and fourteen injuries (according to Wikipedia, it might be higher or lower but Wikipedia gets less credit than it deserves.)
Two cases of significant arson is still bad. How about we not break out the pitchforks and not riot? Because violent rioting is bad no matter what way you look at it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2012, 09:00:09 pm »

I think a lot more can be said by standing in front of a tank than attacking it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:51 pm »

I must agree with everyone that rioting won't do anything. But when you're out of options, what else could you do?

Note that I totally abhor riots, since they bring more problems to the table than solutions (and may even kill others).

I hope we can find a solution out of this mess that doesn't involve rioting. SOPA had enough time for publicity, and was prevented from becoming law because of that. But this one just suddenly woke up from the grave, announced that it'll become law in a few days without warning and suddenly got signed by the UK.

We must find a way to stop the other governments doing the same.

The UK?

Erm, first it was signed by America, then the world. We need to stop it getting passed, Americans can try congress, Europeans can try the Eu. Parliament, China, well you're stuffed :d

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »

Can't people like get together and...counter lobby?

Like I said before, industries pay people to make lobbying their full-time job.  I can't make activism my full-time job.  Can you?  We can put together our own organizations where we donate money to support full-time lobbyists, but plenty such organizations already exist.  They just can't match the power of corporate lobbyists, who are far less scrupulous and have far more resources at their disposal.

I think a lot more can be said by standing in front of a tank than attacking it.

I don't necessarily disagree, but you might want to find a better example.  The Tiananmen Square incident may have produced a powerful image for the rest of the world, but it didn't do much in China.  Supposedly, most people younger than their mid-20's in China aren't even aware that it happened, because any recognition of the event is forbidden.

If you're going to give your life for a cause, you have to do it on your own terms.  The government wouldn't choose to roll a tank over you, if it didn't think it could control the aftermath.  Compare to this flaming individual, who chose and retained complete control over the terms of his own sacrifice, and made a huge impact.

I'm not encouraging anyone to go out and immolate themselves.  I'm just saying that these things are always about setting the stage.  You have to take control of the situation in some way.  You can't just stand in the path of victimization, and expect it to make a statement.  Violence would be a more effective choice than badly strategized martyrdom.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:34:39 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

Money makes decisions in government.

Unless you vote them out, oh wait, money determines elections too.

Inform the public to know better then! No, media coverage requires tons of money.

Fuck.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »

Yay French MEP, doing the right thing for everyone!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:46 pm »

However, the MEP said ACTA would have an impact on civil liberties, ISPs' responsibilities and the manufacturing of generic drugs.
Did I miss something?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:57 pm »

Yeah, copyright claims by the corporations that make the expensive stuff would likely shut down a lot of affordable generics.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26