Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39726 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2012, 03:46:37 pm »

Yeah, ACTA flew completely under the radar for me, when it was in negotiation. I feel like a terribly informed citizen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not sure how not supporting any copyrighted material all March will help. Copyrights are important... about as important as revising copyright law is right now. We need to do it right, though, in a way that grows along with new technology (ex. the Internet) rather than runs at odds with it. ACTA does not achieve this, and instead diminishes the power of new technology to support business models never before possible, and fighting what could otherwise make media and culture widely accessible.

Anyway, I'mma keep on Livestreaming, using Youtube, etc. If there comes a day when I am arrested for no other reason than doing the above, then may I be able to make a message of myself.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, technically almost everyone who's posted in this thread can be persecuted under ACTA. That's how vague the laws are.

No worries, if I avoided doing things solely because they were considered illegal, my life would be far less eventful.

Considering I am too broke to buy anything, and I seldom download things anyway, I'll be helping out that black march thing just by following my normal routine. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:03:50 pm by King DZA »

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »

Not sure how not supporting any copyrighted material all March will help. Copyrights are important... about as important as revising copyright law is right now.

The best way to protest is to hurt the opponent in some way without supporting him with additional argument. Temporarily resigning from consuming copyrighted material at all disrupts content-distributing businesses mostly, which are the main beneficiaries of ACTA. Also, it may lead more people to find less restrictive sources of entertainment.

I find it a great, if somewhat hard to implement, idea.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2012, 05:03:49 pm »

i would say the only way to get that to work would be to send out a massive number of messages to the online community. Once you get the majority of anonymous behind it shit will hit the fan in a royal fashion.
Coupled with this youde need to get a donations site set up and use the cash to push forward a law that supports the internets freedom in a way that wouldnt invalidate copyright laws, but would preserve peoples privacy.

dont know how youd go about that, but i suppose if you went and sent messages to lawyers/lobbyists/law makers/major protests groups about how you would go about doing this, before you started anything obviously, then got a good solid draft up then it would theoreticaly be possible.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »

Like the DMCA? The copyright act designed to defend copyright and the freedom of digital information?

Well, if ACTA gets priority, the DMCA will become useless.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2012, 05:11:17 pm »

How will this affect Fair Use?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2012, 05:12:29 pm »

Anyway, I'mma keep on Livestreaming, using Youtube, etc. If there comes a day when I am arrested for no other reason than doing the above, then may I be able to make a message of myself.

When they kick in your front door
How you gonna go
With your hands on your head
Or rattling on your keyboard

Oooh Keys of Brixton
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2012, 05:13:11 pm »

The cartels do not recognize fair use as a thing that exists.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »

if your on about ACTA:

essentialy youll be able to use the net, but do one wrong thing, speak out in the wrong way, try find the wrong site or annoy someone and bam. Accusation of copyright theft, internet cut off, computer seized for an indefinate amount of time, all your files and online activitys searched through and your privacy violated by unsecure and unaccountable third partys. And should you have a single file that you shouldnt, theoreticaly you could be extrodited and tried in another country or shoved a hefty fine on you.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2012, 05:23:08 pm »

Fair Use will probably survive, since it covers a whole host of things that diverge significantly from the original content, like parody. In the US anyways.

But what's construed as Fair Use might shrink, and the ability of copyright holders to launch extra-legal countermeasures means they can preempt any legal challenge with their penalty. They can stick it to you even before the courts decide to hear your case to decide whether what you're doing is Fair Use or not. And so people decide they can't even risk being wrong to see where the boundaries are.

A 10 second clip from a 30 minute show, that you show during your news cast, is Fair Use. That's the part that is mostly likely to change because of this.

Showing a copyrighted image that you've doodled on, perhaps adding a funny mustache and some glasses, would be Fair Use and would probably still survive.

That's what the Chilling Effect is all about, people become unwilling to even risk it because the consequences, even in victory, are too severe. The old adage "It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission" would be in a sense be turned on its head.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:26:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2012, 05:28:08 pm »

I'm going to see about that poster getting put up around my school....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2012, 05:35:39 pm »

if your on about ACTA:

essentialy youll be able to use the net, but do one wrong thing, speak out in the wrong way, try find the wrong site or annoy someone and bam. Accusation of copyright theft, internet cut off, computer seized for an indefinate amount of time, all your files and online activitys searched through and your privacy violated by unsecure and unaccountable third partys. And should you have a single file that you shouldnt, theoreticaly you could be extrodited and tried in another country or shoved a hefty fine on you.

Extraditing isn't even needed, this'll become an international law. Your "suspected counterfeit evidence" or "suspected evidence of copyright infringement which must be protected from destruction" can be seized, and according to article 16 (b) of Border Measures;
(b) where appropriate, a right holder may request its competent authorities to suspend the release of, or to detain, suspect goods.
Also, anything from the three strikes system, to fines or even prison are being considered legit. ways of combating copyright infringement claims.

Fair Use will probably survive, since it covers a whole host of things that diverge significantly from the original content, like parody. In the US anyways.

But what's construed as Fair Use might shrink, and the ability of copyright holders to launch extra-legal countermeasures means they can preempt any legal challenge with their penalty. They can stick it to you even before the courts decide to hear your case to decide whether what you're doing is Fair Use or not. And so people decide they can't even risk being wrong to see where the boundaries are.

A 10 second clip from a 30 minute show, that you show during your news cast, is Fair Use. That's the part that is mostly likely to change because of this.

Showing a copyrighted image that you've doodled on, perhaps adding a funny mustache and some glasses, would be Fair Use and would probably still survive.

That's what the Chilling Effect is all about, people become unwilling to even risk it because the consequences, even in victory, are too severe. The old adage "It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission" would be in a sense be turned on its head.

ACTA completely ignores fair use, thanks to their extremely vague idea of "intellectual property."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »

Then it will face a legal challenge at some point here in American courts, guaranteed. People get verklemped about laws passing but if the EU is any example, the law being passed is just the beginning. Fair Use is vital to the news casting industry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2012, 05:45:59 pm »

Then it will face a legal challenge at some point here in American courts, guaranteed. People get verklemped about laws passing but if the EU is any example, the law being passed is just the beginning. Fair Use is vital to the news casting industry.

I'm just hoping enough media coverage is attained before this thing destroys the internet.

The article that's sticking out to me the most is~
Quote from: 41: WITHDRAWAL
          A Party may withdraw from this Agreement by means of a written notification to the Depositary*. The withdrawal shall take effect 180 days after the Depositary receives the notification.
*The Depositary being the government of Japan.

Also,
Quote from: 40: ENTRY INTO FORCE
1. This Agreement shall enter into force thirty days after the date of deposit of the sixth instrument of ratification, acceptance, or approval.
2. This Agreement shall enter into force for each Signatory that deposits its instrument of ratification, acceptance or approval after the deposit of the sixth instrument of ratification, acceptance, or approval, thirty days after the date of deposit by such Signatory of its instrument of ratification, acceptance or approval.

We've got a month.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:16 pm »

BRB, investing in grappling hook, combat boots, and... what was the last thing?  Right, a long red bandana.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26