Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39719 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #240 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:11 am »

People, download TOR and Freenet while you can. You may need them in the not so far future.n
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2012, 11:54:31 am »

People, download TOR and Freenet while you can. You may need them in the not so far future.n

Easy to block at an ISP level. In fact a number do when you have child protections enabled and the like already.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #242 on: January 26, 2012, 01:54:29 pm »

What the FUUU??

Printed off all the released documents I can find.

Here's a brief overview:
*They don't know what copyright entitles
*Rights are only given to those who own everything
*Intellectual property can be applied to everything information based - goodbye internet
*'Legitimate trade' is hurt by piracy and counterfeiting. So lets destroy the internet!
*Fuck the civilians
*Civil enforcement
*Border searches
*Indefinite equipment seizure
* Mysterious 3rd parties which are never elaborated on have almost total control over how the system works
*Governments are entitled to use whatever is 'necessary,' or MORE than necessary
*Copyright infringement apparently causes injury
*Mysterious 3rd party gets exclusive rights to choosing compensation, suspending the return of suspected counterfeit items and worse
*Compensation is ridiculous
*Political censorship is a virtual guarantee
*No more privacy for you
*You're guilty until proven innocent. You can get done in for being suspected for copyright infringement. What the fuck?
*Fuck the DMCA.
*Fuck the safe harbour article 512 in the DMCA
*Fuck human rights

And many more!

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »

As if ACTA wasn't bad enough, there is also the way it was introduced. For example, this is how it was in Poland. All links, unfortunately, are in Polish - but Google Translate should leave it at least readable.

After the secret negotiations, ACTA was formally passed (in EU) by the Agriculture and Fisheries Council - this is how it stayed undetected so long. The Polish government, of course, was required to make public consultations, which it did - asking 27 organizations, most of which represent copyright holders and mainstream media. Wait, did I say "most"?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I meant every single fucking one of them.

Surprisingly, these objective subjects representing the entire society didn't object, so the appropriate resolution was quickly passed by the government just after the elections. Most of the Poles knew about ACTA only last Thursday and this is when the major protests started to show up.

Despite massive protests (and one minor riot), the government is adamant. ACTA was signed by the Polish ambassador today and the Prime Minister refused any possibility of a referendum (which an opposition party proposed) saying, that "The responsible government must sometimes undertake to make decisions which we know won't be popular.". From the Facebook page of the Prime Ministry over 7000 comments disappeared because of "profane language and spam" - later Fanpage Trender analysts checked 1/3 of them and found only several dozen such comments.

The mainstream press tries to be more objective, but sometimes fails spectacularly. For example, in TOK FM radio audition, two publicists claimed that the protesters were manipulated by the "Internet businesses supporting piracy".

There are also hilarious apologies from the politics who supported ACTA before and now are against it. Marek Migalski claims that he didn't know what were he voting for. He admitted that most of the deputies and eurodeputies usually don't know that, they are too busy with politics. For some reason I can believe him.

So yeah, that's democracy in Europe.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #244 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:43 pm »

Several decades in the future, people will look back and make Soviet Russia jokes about Dystopian Europe.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:20 pm »

Several decades in the future, people will look back and make Soviet Russia jokes about Dystopian Europe.
In Dystopian Europe, corporations spy on whistleblowers!

Sorry, couldn't resist :P. Is ACTA in effect yet?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »

In Dystopian Europe, corporations spy on whistleblowers!

Not until they find a way to enforce it. Once they do, ACTA begins to be fulfilled, and legally takes effect.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2012, 03:13:59 pm »

This should be interesting, to say the least.

Now, I should probably go screw around on YouTube for a bit, before all I get is a 'This webpage is no longer available' message.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2012, 03:14:15 pm »

Depends. In most European countries signing it is not enough, it needs to be ratified by the appropriate country's parliament. Also, European Parliament can reject it for the whole EU.

Also, ACTA, as every international treaty, doesn't actually mandate anything. It's a list of things the signing countries promise to pass, written in vague, barely understandable legalese. It's more a groundwork for scary shit than scary shit itself.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2012, 03:17:44 pm »

Yeah and with lobbying we already pump out quite a bit of scary shit ourselves.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2012, 03:18:21 pm »

Now, I should probably go screw around on YouTube for a bit, before all I get is a 'This webpage is no longer available' message.

I'm scared that I'll get hauled in for watching something that infringes copyright >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2012, 03:21:59 pm »

I'm scared that I'll get hauled in for watching something that infringes copyright >_>

Or Livestreaming it!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2012, 03:24:00 pm »

Also, technically almost everyone who's posted in this thread can be persecuted under ACTA. That's how vague the laws are.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2012, 03:30:25 pm »

Also, technically almost everyone who's posted in this thread can be persecuted under ACTA. That's how vague the laws are.

In that case, I'm posting in this thread so that I can be persecuted as well when the government inevitably trolls through decades of built-up forum miscellany in order to fulfill the monthly quota of leftist pirates to be vanished.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2012, 03:31:08 pm »

I appreciate the typos.  Gold Star to whatever knucklehead made that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26