Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39721 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »

Terrible news: I saw a newspaper from last friday.

THIS IS ALL TRUE!

Not only that, but details: If they have sufficient suspicion, they will ban the whole household for AN ENTIRE YEAR.

All that CONFIRMED by a local newspaper.
The end is nigh.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2009, 05:01:47 pm »

Wait, "sufficient suspicion?" According to WHO? "He looks like the kind of person who burns CDs, take away his family's Internet access."

Who's electing the people that do these kinds of things? Since Obama's administration was so careful to keep this secret, I'm going to guess that they have at least a little bit of responsibility. I wonder what else he's going to try to do behind our backs.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »

Who's electing the people that do these kinds of things?
People are. You voted for them.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2009, 05:36:21 pm »

Not me, I just turned 18.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2009, 05:56:52 pm »

Ah ha ha, next time check the link before you jump to conclusions people!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2009, 05:59:36 pm »

Terrible news: I saw a newspaper from last friday.

THIS IS ALL TRUE!

Not only that, but details: If they have sufficient suspicion, they will ban the whole household for AN ENTIRE YEAR.

All that CONFIRMED by a local newspaper.

Way to link us to the main page of a newspaper instead of the alleged story

I still call BS on the whole thing
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2009, 06:22:38 pm »

I'm hoping it happens. Then the revolution will begin.

Even better:

"Hey ABC. I'm notifying you that your website infringes on my copyrights. You are required to take it down. Or you can pay me $10,000,000 not to notify you. Your choice."

Of course, I'll need a place to brag about my ridiculous actions, and I think I know how. It's called IPR - Internet Packet Radio. Basically, imagine a HAM radio array set up to send digital rather than analog transmissions, and hooking it up to a normal file transfer system.
Then you just need a constantly-updating internet index and a few more knicknacks, and you have a single radio node that can scan the airwaves and join a wireless network that is totally free of regulation- and impossible to regulate. Sure bandwidth would be somewhat smaller, but for text it just won't matter.

You won't have DNS or any other "centralized" elements, but who cares?

And let us remember- terrible as it might seem to think that we might loose our access to lolcats, rickrollings, and other stale memes, there are people out there who don't have problems with big corporations stifling their "digital culture". They have problems with, for instance, 50 year old landmines and shrapnel from misfired rockets, roving bands of militias, alternating seasons of drought and flood, and/or wildlife of the sort that we pretend to fight.
Complaint about loosing the privilege of internet access, taken in that light, seems a pathetic thing to take much offense at.

And so, for all my jingo and frevor, all my plans of IPR schemes and such, I try to keep my perspective. We in the western civilized world (and Japan) have it pretty good. It is our responsibility to keep those freedoms, but the internet is just a privilege. And if it's taken away, well, we'll still find our way around.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:26:02 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2009, 06:24:56 pm »

School computer, no time to search for the article.

After some searching, here is the article.

Canadian officials are taking part in negotiations for a top-secret copyright treaty that could see families barred from the Internet for a year if someone in the household is suspected of illegal downloads.

(Hint: don't search for "copyright", it appears in every article. "Internet" got it on the second page)
Eh?
Eh!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2009, 06:26:34 pm »

You know, if this were passed, a single amateur hacker could take out a large portion of the internet with a simple program to spam ISPs with accusations.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:04 pm »

You know, if this were passed, a group of amateur hackers will take out all of the internet with a simple program to spam ISPs with accusations.
Fixed.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2009, 06:42:49 pm »

Does the phrase "top-secret treaty" strike anyone else as asinine?  Just me?  What is this, 1913?  There's no such thing as a secret treaty, and sure as Hell not for some kind of draconian international super-law cooked up by an independent think tank that violates several articles of most industrial nations' statute governance.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2009, 06:46:44 pm »

Unfortunately, this takedown on notification needs a human intervention at some point- it's easy for Viacom to demand Youtube take down millions of videos, because Viacom can sue Google if it doesn't.

In order to attack ABC successfully, you need to request less in damages than it would cost for them to win a lawsuit you started. Luckilly it probably costs ABC 10,000,000 dollars just to get your trivial lawsuit thrown out of court. If you offer them a steal at $5,000,999.99, then you'll probably get it.

They also need to believe that you'll actually go through with the lawsuit; You need to at least have enough money to conceivably hire a lawyer. Still, probably not a problem.

ACTA is a latin word, by the way. It's the root of the english word Action. I'm looking for the best way to put "Action against Tyranny" into latin. Hmm... Who else would join "Acta Non Tyrannus"?

Oh, and "secret" is probably too strong of a word. It's not like record companies are paradigms of security. It's more like it's a boring news story to anyone who doesn't spend 18 hours a day on the internet.

The more I think about it, the more I look forward for this, if only because this generation needs some strife.

ACTA NON TYRANNUS!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2009, 07:28:03 pm »

PTTG??, the whole point about this is that no lawsuit is involved. The accusation is made, the site is shut down.

That is the process.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:27 pm »

PTTG??, the whole point about this is that no lawsuit is involved. The accusation is made, the site is shut down.

That is the process.

What, really? That's absurd... I mean, one can ask an isp to take down a target site, and they can (as in are able to, even if they aren't permitted to) refuse to take it down. Then one can sue the target, unless they settle out of court. So, while a lawsuit isn't required... well, I see. You just have to prove that you asked them to take something down, not that there was any reason for you to take something down, then.

Horrifying. We must find out exactly which groups are sponsoring this.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:58 pm »

But, who is the accusation made to?  The site is shut down by whom?  Whose responsibility will it be to hear these complaints and enforce them?  The shadowy, hollow-volcano dwelling masters of Echelon IV?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26