Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.  (Read 39672 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Secret copyright treaty leaked. It's not good.
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »

Spreading word of ACTA probably isn't going to help much. We need a much more efficient way of telling the government "Fuck you, we will not stand for this censorship". Something tells me peaceful protest just isn't going to cut it anymore :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »

How about a good old fashion torch and pitchfork mob?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2012, 07:57:11 pm »

Protests won't do s**t anymore, IMO. Riots will, but it only has a small chance of changing things.

We're f**ked if we can't find a nice and efficient way of telling people to oppose this madness.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2012, 08:01:03 pm »

Can't people like get together and...counter lobby?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2012, 08:03:33 pm »

Yes, but sitting on your ass is much more convenient. The average citizen just doesn't care enough until it's too late.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »

Spreading word of ACTA probably isn't going to help much. We need a much more efficient way of telling the government "Fuck you, we will not stand for this censorship". Something tells me peaceful protest just isn't going to cut it anymore :(

Safety in numbers. And any help is still help.

Wow, this f**king sucks.

If the Europeans protest peacefully, will they listen to the public at all? I mean, this stupid law was in the making tons of years prior, and seemed to be a fallback for SOPA/PIPA, in case those stupid laws didn't get passed and were shelved.

I can only hope...
Protests won't do s**t anymore, IMO. Riots will, but it only has a small chance of changing things.

We're f**ked if we can't find a nice and efficient way of telling people to oppose this madness.

20,000 protesters in Poland, and a small riot went off. Polish government still signed ACTA. Remember the London Riots? Instant demonization, and the whole reason for the riots were erased from media.
Demonstrations are needed - but are needed on a large scale.

China and Singapore, not so certain about, Singaporeans have not been known to be concerned with the internet, and China already have existing censorship laws.
I've never really heard about Singapore sites, so I'd say Singapore wouldn't even be bothered. China... China is already pretty bad and pretty far gone as far as I can tell with their Great Firewall.

Singapore is an alpha class city, with a shit ton of trade and businesses. I think they'd actually like ACTA.

Apparently the new meaning for democracy is having people you didn't elect make all the decisions for you, which restrict your freedom.
Yes, but sitting on your ass is much more convenient. The average citizen just doesn't care enough until it's too late.

Sadly yes. It'd not be the first time someone has gone up to me asking if there was a political agenda behind why I would try to raise awareness for this :/

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2012, 08:08:23 pm »

The only change rioting causes is turning people against the cause.

Not enough capital interest, so it doesn't have any weight. Gotta turn the public opinion, make people aware of what this means. It's so obviously wrong in so many ways, too, so it can't be very hard. There's a reason they kept so silent about this, I guess.
Love, scriver~

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »

Any day now, a war-hardened revolutionary from the future is going to arrive in a time machine and slap the pen out of someone's hand before they can sign ACTA. Then they will regale us with stories of the dark dystopian future they come from, ravaged by a great conflict known to them only as "The Copyright Wars". You'll see.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2012, 08:19:56 pm »

You know, maybe rioting isn't the best way to demonstrate? I myself agree fullheartedly with the "demonization" of violent riots- the London Riots for instance had a lot of looting and arson/

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2012, 08:23:32 pm »

Any day now, a war-hardened revolutionary from the future is going to arrive in a time machine and slap the pen out of someone's hand before they can sign ACTA. Then they will regale us with stories of the dark dystopian future they come from, ravaged by a great conflict known to them only as "The Copyright Wars". You'll see.

That reminds me, I still need to invest in a leather trench coat and some fingerless gloves.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »

Corrupt individuals in power have lots of money, and thus they rule everything. What they don't have, however, is numbers. I'm sure that can be used to great effect, somehow... ideally, in a peaceful manner. (I hope it's not too late for that.) Staying peaceful definitely makes a movement more appealing, and I doubt that violence is truly necessary if, say, the majority of a country's population gets behind such a cause. As I said, big numbers are scary.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2012, 08:25:32 pm »

Wow, when bay12 starts to look at rioting as an option, I honestly feel a little insecure. I mean the internet is 90% retarded, and I would expect that 90% to resort to rioting given any chance they could, and then there is bay12, the 10% of the 10% who are pretty fucking left wing, humanitarian, and generally against needless violence. This must be worse than first thought if we are running that low on options.
I mean excuse the expression, but shit just got real.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »

You know, maybe rioting isn't the best way to demonstrate? I myself agree fullheartedly with the "demonization" of violent riots- the London Riots for instance had a lot of looting and arson/

There was two cases of significant arson.

>Media says London was on fire

Youths stealing rice to feed themselves

>Shows "good Samaritan" video and takes down interview of English citizen that explained the reasons behind the riots. Also accuses him of rioting, which he destroys.
>Ignores unfair treatment of youth, and the killing by the hands of police.

I have a feeling that the media might be slightly pro government.

Wow, when bay12 starts to look at rioting as an option, I honestly feel a little insecure. I mean the internet is 90% retarded, and I would expect that 90% to resort to rioting given any chance they could, and then there is bay12, the 10% of the 10% who are pretty fucking left wing, humanitarian, and generally against needless violence. This must be worse than first thought if we are running that low on options.
I mean excuse the expression, but shit just got real.
It would only be an option when no options are left. It probably wouldn't even be viable if there were no other options anyways. But ACTA is ridiculous.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 26, 2012, 08:32:38 pm »

I have a feeling that the media might be slightly pro government.

Not pro government for government's sake. Pro power, which means pro money, which means pro government. And money's only power when people are willing to follow the rules laid down by politicians who have been bought out. Fewer people are every day.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 26, 2012, 08:43:13 pm »

I am sincerely interested in seeing how they enforce this law. There's part of me that wants to go about and jumpstart a revolution. But there's the other part that ruins all the excitement by presuming this is going to be one of those laws that no one really takes seriously (once the hype dies down). Like jaywalking. Of course, there's always that itsy bitsy chance that the ones behind it honestly don't give a damn about that, and will just be using it as an excuse to get rid of people they don't like.

It's times like these that tend to confuse me. Where I can't tell if the governments are made up of sinister masterminds with everything figured out, or idiots who have no idea what the hell they're doing...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26