Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Great City of Honor Merchant (under construction)  (Read 2466 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
The Great City of Honor Merchant (under construction)
« on: November 05, 2009, 12:32:11 am »

Working on an ew map, currently laying out a massive City to house every last Dwarf safe and secure deep in the heart of the mountain...

I have the Doorms laid out and know how I'll lay out the shops.. The central area is still not yet finalized, I am currently thinking its where a grand Church/Throne room will be. Planning on making this thing several Z- levels.. Stock rooms and mass workshops down bellow along with a planed full plumping system to provid wells to most of the fortress as well as noble quarters.

Looking for feedback at this point as well any advice on the layout.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
Re: The Great City of Honor Merchant (under construction)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 01:18:41 am »

There's not a lot of room in those dorms for the long term. Are you planning to build additional dorms, or layer the dorms on additional z-levels?  I ask because I don't see any obvious place for stairs in the dorm chamber.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:25:49 am »

There are 20 rooms in that one block, each floor will have two dorm blocks and I plan on making the city 3 zlevels tall, so that is a 120 rooms right there, and I can go additional z levels if needed.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:27:53 am »

I notice a lot of three-wide gateway areas. However, doors can't exist in three-wide groups. Is there a reason for this?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 01:38:34 am »

Most of the city doesnt need doors except in rooms and certan workshops, if I do need doors in a hallway I just leave a column and can put up two doors

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 05:18:59 am »

Statues are great for adding doors to those 3 tile entryways.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:28:40 am »

A few notes for potential cosmetic touches.  If I understand, you're ringing shops around the large outer corridors, correct?

1) Dig out the walls separating the shop and the hallway and replace them with glass/gem windows.  The downside of this is that if you want to do it on a large scale, you'll need to be importing a LOT of gems (or have glass).

2) Add 'reflecting pools' through the center of the corridors.  Aside from looking pretty, this could make it easier to string together your city's waterworks, providing for possible water-based defenses.

3) Turn the central room into a throne room fit for the king of all dwarves - or possibly a monument to Cacame, Tholtig, Captain Ironblood, or even all of them.

4) Remember that if you are going to be making some waterworks, doors are your best friend.  A 'compartmentalized' build that limits flooding to a small area can be a lifesaver, and there's nothing to prevent you from converting it into a more open design later.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Nerdgasmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 07:56:55 am »

If you a build a wall adjacent to where you want the freestanding door to be, you can destroy that wall after constructing the door and the door will remain built, unattached to any wall.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 10:55:15 am »

I use high-traffic z levels, 1 for every 4 normal levels or so, in which there are all sorts of diagonal shortcuts between different work zones. Helps cut the travel distance a lot when you layout in a wide grid like this.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 11:18:53 am »

A few notes for potential cosmetic touches.  If I understand, you're ringing shops around the large outer corridors, correct?

1) Dig out the walls separating the shop and the hallway and replace them with glass/gem windows.  The downside of this is that if you want to do it on a large scale, you'll need to be importing a LOT of gems (or have glass).

Not sure what you mean here, most of the shops i plan ot engrave eventually. Now the rooms above the shops on the 2nd and 3rd zlevel will have windows as I plan to channel out the space above the main walkways ot provide large halls.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:46:08 pm »

The idea was to be able to see into the shops from the hallway, which you may or may not care about.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:49:30 pm »

The idea was to be able to see into the shops from the hallway, which you may or may not care about.
OH! That kicks ass!
(makes gem windows)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 04:52:33 pm »

Love the design. I gotta use this style next time I start a fort.

Considering the cold weather coming in, I'm going to have less things to do outside. I might pick up DF again and try this out. Considering one of my previous more successful forts, I might reimagine it in a more stylish form.

Elsewhere, of course.

And I might add more things suitable for it, unlike the old version. The sewers will remain, but be a more functional part of the fort, aside just a water source.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:54:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »

2) Add 'reflecting pools' through the center of the corridors.  Aside from looking pretty, this could make it easier to string together your city's waterworks, providing for possible water-based defenses.
Like miniature canals? That does sound good.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 09:45:03 pm »

Update,

Have the first dorms carved out and smoothed down, linked together some more of the city via designations, still not sur exactly what to do whit the main hall, playing around with different shapes. Also working on the magma-forges as well, will ge a screen shot of them later.

Oddly enough, There is a nice Magam pipe on the map (way WAY to the north) oddly the option ot buILD magma forges and the like doesn't show up, im I missing somehting>? is there a glitch?
Pages: [1] 2