Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Futureme.org  (Read 2214 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Futureme.org
« on: November 05, 2009, 12:23:30 am »

Link: http://www.futureme.org/

So, here's the story. I wrote this letter to myself to the future to be recieved in the year 2011. Curiously, I vaguely remembered doing such things before. So I checked the infinite mass of my hundred thousand email strong inbox of Gmail to see and 'lo and behold. Quite a few messages to myself from the past.

Now, the funny thing is that one subject appeared in all the ten or so times I wrote to my future self.

"I'm currently procrastinating for X exam"

It's true that people never change. Also, the past me is an idiot who can't write properly.

Topic: Have you guys written to your future selves? Maybe you should. It's really easy.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Futureme.org
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:30:53 am »

This is cool.

2 emails sent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:39:58 am by Jackrabbit »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:59:02 am »

Idea: Have your past self prank your future self.

Mail bomb yourself with APRIL FOOLS!!!

Aside that, I don't have many other ideas.

I think I had to do something along those lines for some group thing some time ago. It was pretty funny that I mapped out the most plausible thing I'd be doing at the exact time I expected the message to arrive (it was actually supposed to be a reminder from experiences or something; but I took it a but further).

I don't usually see the point in having a time capsule really. I mean, I don't see myself traveling through time anytime soon, so no point in keeping them. Plus, in case anything is buried as a time capsule, I don't want to forget about it, or have someone else find it.

I guess another idea could be sending yourself some sort of puzzle for the next half-year or so. Come up with everything about it, and even the solution to it; making sure it was difficult, then send it and forget it. Half a year later, try to solve it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 01:00:38 am by Itnetlolor »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:21 am »

I sent an email to myself on January 1st, 2013 to remember to tell all the world ending idiots they are idiots. This is a useful service. (But the non-capitalisation angers me)
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:56:20 am »

I have a yearly diary which updates my life.

It's actually very entertaining seeing my progression from "Dad ate my chips today which i was mad about but there wasnt any sauce so i dont mind"(I've always had perfect spelling and horrible punctuation, even when really little.) to
"Yeah, ok, I'm writing about a girl. Future me - I hate you if you are chuckling right now."

I was. I so sincerely was.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 05:35:12 am »

Wrote a 600 word email to myself to the future, should be a fair bit interesting.

I rambled alot about my GF.  :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:01:42 pm »

I shall give it a go. Seems fun. Its acctually a bit therapeutic, talking to myself in the future. Seeing how different stuff will be. hopefully the site won't die before then.

+1 to umi.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:04:38 pm by Nilocy »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:41:18 pm »

I sent an email to myself on January 1st, 2013 to remember to tell all the world ending idiots they are idiots. This is a useful service. (But the non-capitalisation angers me)

I think it's actually December 13th or 21st, 2012, can't remember the exact date.

Either way, I know there are gonna be some sick end of the world parties that night, so the following day I'll be WISHING the world had been destroyed and groping for a glass of water.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 04:44:17 pm »

Since this is a free service you can actually use it as a calendar.

"Buy present for ***`s birthday", etc
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 06:04:01 pm »

I shall give it a go. Seems fun. Its acctually a bit therapeutic, talking to myself in the future. Seeing how different stuff will be. hopefully the site won't die before then.

+1 to umi.
It's been around for more than 10 years. So it should be pretty set.

DennyTom: Yeah, I did that for someone's birthday. It's actually very useful for a lot of stuff. If you register as a user you can send future emails to other people too.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 07:36:31 pm »

I'm sure that if I had found out about this 6 years ago, I'd have gotten an email from 6 years ago at some point ranting about idiotic worries and things intolerant of some religions.   Glad I got over those views.  I wasn't a bad person, per se, but horribly misinformed.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 06:11:38 am »

Man, if I met the Future Me, I'd just stare at him awkwardly. And talk about stuff. Awkwardly.

I wish I could send an email to the Past Me, telling me not to worry about love life and stuff. And maybe to study harder.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 11:17:55 am »

mailing myself to 2015 the following text:

"dude!  Do you STILL have this e-mail?"

;D
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 04:38:33 pm »

Can you send emails to other people's future selves?  If so, maybe I should send emails to a few 2012 phenomena believers that I know on the date of 12/22/2012 with some sort of friendly joke message.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 05:37:54 pm »

Nah, they need to confirm the email themselves before it gets sent.
Pages: [1] 2