Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Musical Instruments and other sounds  (Read 1924 times)

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
Re: Musical Instruments and other sounds
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:32 pm »

Having music notes rolling down the hallways is going to turn into a problem in a hurry. A flashing note or instument (perhaps both) on musicians would be a good starting point, but it doesn'yt really show what the range of the music is.

Perhaps another view mode would be needed, akin to the depot view. I know, nobody wants that, but it would only really be needed, until you developed a feel for what the range of a given level/type of musician was.

Alternatively, music could just fill the meeting zone/room it's being played in, but that costs us the fun of annoying the guy upstairs, with out wild parties.

====

Meter probably isn't immediately relevant, but tempo, volume and mood would be great discriptors for songs and performances, with myriad applications.

Dwarves could have preferences for different tempos. i.e. Urist McRocker likes his music fast, etc.

Or, dwarves could prefer music based on the activity at hand. i.e. dwarves that don't dance well prefer to dance to music that isn't fast, but once they get better, they might prefer to dance to faster music.

Some combination of the two would probably be optimal, as some people prefer slower dances, even when they are very good.

Volume would be a similar situation. Wilder parties and larger rooms demand louder music, but if it's too loud, it should annoy dwarves who are trying to have a conversation.

Mood is trickier, since it isn't a nice one dimensional scale, but the same sort of composite approach seems the most effective (discounting the potential cost in implementation).

Dwarves could prefer music that ties into their current mood, in addition to having certain types of music that they just like the sound of.

Mood is also a really potent tool, since it's pretty subjective. What exactly TearfulAxes, a masterfully written slow, mournful tune, about the death of Urist McHistorical, in Y.193, sounds like will depend very much on the culture of the player.

Once you add instrument anmd subject preferences and on top of that, you have most of the foundation of why people like/hate different styles of music anyway.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 10:13:23 pm »

Perhaps another view mode would be needed, akin to the depot view. I know, nobody wants that, but it would only really be needed, until you developed a feel for what the range of a given level/type of musician was.
Perhaps a Noise menu (N) that shows ALL noise, music included? This would be handy for noise control.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 12:39:40 am »

"n" and "N" are both taken, but yeah. Kill two cave crows with one balista bolt.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 04:51:56 am »

Hey, I'd like to see music in this game, so i am necroing this...
To add to the ideas, you could have hunters luring animals into traps with songs of hypnosis. Also you could have  personal musician for each noble etc, every song played by the individual would result in some money generated for him...

For specific songs, there should be a workshop for musicians, the music shoppe... There the musician has four options: Practice playing, read songbook, write a song, copy songbook

Every musician has a songbook where he has his available songs. By reading his songbook he practices the songs within the book, copying a songbook gives in the ability to play other songs, perhaps you can buy songbooks off of Elfs and Humans to have elven and human music played at your fortress. Writing a song procedually generates a song and puts it in the writers songbook. Its value (the level how much it increases happiness) depends on the music skill, so a bad musician who learns this song gives an average boost to happiness as he has a low music skill but plays a high skill song. Practice playing improves your music skill...

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 04:59:23 am »

prehaps the floating music notes be like miasma?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 05:50:59 am »

The floating notes would be best displayed like ! and ? on the dwarves when appropriate. Miasma already covers up the map, it ought to colour the background of the tiles, not the foreground. The playing musician could use the ♫, while the listeners could use ♪, coloured green when they like it, blue when neutral, and red when they dislike it. Or a more fluid colour scheme would be nice as well. Though admittedly, snaking bands of musical symbols starting from the musician, continuing into the ballroom, while their tail ends fade would be visually attractive indeed as long as they don't constantly and completely cover the surface of the room. Both could be combined.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2]