Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Also making a game. Metroid inspired, need help creating graphics  (Read 3566 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

I was sort of inspired by all of the success around here that I decided to make my own game as well. It will be heavily inspired by Metroid, especially the two GBA ones.

Here is the current font, once I add numbers, it should be good enough for now. Anyone can use it, in any way, except to claim it as their own.

Other than that, I have some fairly decent image manipulation functions, that gives enough that it can be used for a tile based game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 05:47:58 pm by qwertyuiopas »
Eh?
Eh!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another person making a game...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:18:55 am »

I doubt not your ability to make sprites, but I do question how much of the engine you have working. Even if it just renderes a blank screen it would be enough.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 10:34:38 am »

You can trust Qwerty, his programming knowledges go deep.
I bet he'll surpass us all.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:16:27 pm »

It is currently(second day of work, with only bitmap loading, win api setup, a basic winproc, and opengl init/shutdown copy/pasted) able to(thanks to yeesterday, mostly) manipulate internal images by copying rectangles of one over another. And load them from 24 bit bitmap images.

Also working on a map format, that in the "final" version can contain the entire game's worth of data, or a portion of one.

Editing capabilities: Hold shift to display all available tiles(Only from the tiles bitmap, but that will be extended eventually, maybe ctrl to select what bitmap to copy from) and with shift held, click on one to select it(No graphical effect to reveal the selected one), and without shift held, click to place.

The map format is barely started, but the first thing it contains is a version number, to allow both backwards compatibility and alternate formats such as the exclusion of an unnessecary portion of data. Each actual screen full(Or will be, eventually) has it's own version number as well, for the same reasons.

Version 00.00
All versions, or at least the 00.## ones will go here
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:04:42 pm »

Well, further development of the font has brought the char-total up to 39(A-Z,0-9, space, character 0, and the nonprinting newline, though a joke char for newline that would never be shown would be neat...)

But more importantly, the data format has 3 types, each with two versions.

Background info: The format is {version number, data} for any type, a main one for the file, one for each room, and one for images, and it uses a switch() to process the data based on the version. That means that there will never be a compatibility break. Ever. (Unless I totally discard an internal feature relied on by one type or so, and even then I will code it to still try to load, but skip the unsupported features).

The result is that I can have "rooms" store the background image, along with the other data(and in the future, mods can be packaged in an arbitrary number of files, and I can make a mod loader that lets you select what ones to use, and the load order, etc...)

So, the first to create an acceptable title screen(400x400 bitmap, I guess, at least for now) can name the project! (I will discard anything I think wouldn't suit it, or felt was too much infringing on a real game, or any other arbitrary criteria I think of)

You can theoretically use any size image, not just 400x400, and it will scale it up/down, and you can decide if it will use linear interpolation or just take the nearest pixel.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:00:43 am »

Sounds good.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:23:40 am »

I'm glad. 

Once you guys finish your projects (and I post something someday  :P)

we should go for a team project.. but that's future... for now... lets all experiment, experiment, experiment...

and keep in touch...

Good luck. (I'll read this tomorrow when I'm awake)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 01:40:03 pm »

Nearest pixel looks way better.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 03:13:09 pm »

linear interpolation... so fancy.

Is that like anti-aliasing?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 05:29:19 pm »

It's an OpenGL texture mode.(Full specification)

Just finishing arbitrary object(with rectangular axis-aligned collision box)->terrain collision detection, so that I can have decent player physics.

Technical stuff: Haven't totally determined physics, but at the moment, it is similar to GBA metroid, but with a slightly higher(I think) max gravity speed.
Eh?
Eh!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 06:45:17 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?3mj4zh4lndn

Added a "scale" variable(affects screen size, but it's an int)

Temporarily disabled non-sharp images.

Collision is complete, haven't tested it on >1tile objects, but the code SHOULD work for them.

"object" means "player" at the moment.
Eh?
Eh!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 06:52:02 pm »

Wow. The jumping and movement were really smooth. :)
Good luck.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 10:01:49 pm »

Fixed a tiny physics issue where if you hit your head while you still had jump force, you would be stopped(vertically) for one frame, but if, after that frame, you had vertical clearance, you could still "continue" your jump. Basically, a very minor issue that shouldn't be a problem anyway, but it should look a tiny bit better now.

Player is taking shape, and can hold a gun.

Partial images can be used for object graphics, allowing sprites and stuff later.

Mr. player has a possibly-final-but-at-least-closer-to-the-final-size collision box, and when running right, animates slightly.

If ANYONE can make a decent 4 to 8 frame run animation for him, he would be very happy.
The whole look I intend as a final image, would be a semi-military guy, mostly unarmored, though that could still change. In a way, similar to Snake, but more real life looking. (He IS wearing the outline of a bag, since he WILL have to carry weapons and DOESN'T have hammerspace).

The background color is a solid ugly purple, but it provides contrast to the character placeholder.

Controls: arrow keys to control the guy.
S to save room
L to load room
B to set room background

Loading rooms does nothing(Well, it DOES load it, but as they are all edits of "title", and the game never does a second room load, you are stuck in the first one loaded, regardless of how many actually exist), and you must name a saved room "test.dat" for it to load on startup. And it must be in the data folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnwzhijt01n

Please help make guy run? He currently loses his legs and bobs, from an attempt I made that didn't work out well...
Eh?
Eh!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 11:16:49 am »

Awesome!

I've made a ton of platformers before, but none of them every got this polished.
The physics are nice, everything seems consistent.

I'll be back on the contribution train soon enough.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another person making a game... (Need help animating)
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:24 pm »

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yegdmuoznly

Now have a semi-unbearably-bad "run right" animation.

This took nearly a week of procrastination to do, and at least two hours or pixel art.

If someone could kindly make a better version of the "player" graphic, I would be very grateful.

Eh?
Eh!
Pages: [1] 2