Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140671 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2009, 06:02:02 am »

Less is definitely more, we could probably use a few ~9p games.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2009, 09:06:57 am »

*sigh* I think you're right, Vector.  In the end, the only real way of dealing with the situation is to just let identify and weed out rather than force activity. 

As far as Mountainous.. I don't know.  I'd rather put in a game with a guarenteed Mafia Roleblocker and Town Doc and leave it at that.  Reason?  The "kill the expert" syndrome.  People get so hooked over seeing whether the 'top town' player dies that they drown in the WIFOM.  "Why are you still alive?" is the phrase thrown around too much in such situations. 

Doc helps to stop that.  The fear of the Doc keeps the scum from auto-killing that person and the thought that the mafia feared the doc keeps the town from just thinking "You didn't die.  Lynch em..just in case!"  Doc isn't overpowered anyway in beginner games (it's the Cop you have to worry about). 

So if I were to host something, it would be a Nearly-Mountainous game.  Doc and Mafia Roleblocker, rest are vanilla. 

I also have a 9p bastard mod in mind, but bastard mods are puzzle based, not behavior based. 

So if you guys want, I can put up "Near-Mountainous Mafia" and "BellSounder Bastard Mod" up on the que.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2009, 01:18:08 pm »

I suppose the problem with smaller games is that role heavy ones can get pretty swingy.  It works fine for games with few or no roles, though.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2009, 01:24:04 pm »

*glances at KotM*

I didn't expect the game to be that swingy.  I WILL admit, though, that the interactions are awesomesauce.  To be true, the 'addition's factor means I have a lot of control over how power roles work.  The first round showed everyone why you DON'T take "F you all HAHAHA" roles.  I notice now that the current role set is much more subdued. 

Though I wish I didn't put that last clause in.  All I'd need to do is make everyone 'False' to turn the game mountainous.
I KNEW IT!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2009, 01:37:07 pm »

A game where everybody is a false super-saint and one where everybody is a townie will play out differently.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2009, 01:40:58 pm »

I got to admit, maybe because I'm still a bit of a new player, but I think while behaviorist stuff is fun, I like having roles and thus an element of tactical thinking for non-scum players as well.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 10, 2009, 02:35:56 pm »

So if I were to host something, it would be a Nearly-Mountainous game.  Doc and Mafia Roleblocker, rest are vanilla. 

I also have a 9p bastard mod in mind, but bastard mods are puzzle based, not behavior based. 

Yes.  Will in on both, no questions.  Behavior is also a puzzle, which is why I'm so fond of the low-role games.

I got to admit, maybe because I'm still a bit of a new player, but I think while behaviorist stuff is fun, I like having roles and thus an element of tactical thinking for non-scum players as well.

I personally tend to get bored with the power role-heavy games quite quickly (there's a reason why I've only played one Paranormal, and asked for a replacement in it), and I'm fond of behaviorism partially because it involves unwinding other people's tactics.  It's all quite entertaining.  Ahh, Vector is a puzzle person...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 10, 2009, 05:56:19 pm »

Vector: Then what's "tactical thinking" if not a puzzle? Consider if you're a doc.

*glances at KotM*

I didn't expect the game to be that swingy.  I WILL admit, though, that the interactions are awesomesauce.  To be true, the 'addition's factor means I have a lot of control over how power roles work.  The first round showed everyone why you DON'T take "F you all HAHAHA" roles.  I notice now that the current role set is much more subdued.
I got what I wanted.

Though I wish I didn't put that last clause in.  All I'd need to do is make everyone 'False' to turn the game mountainous.
The mod would get lynched reeaaal quick when they figure that one out.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 10, 2009, 05:59:16 pm »

I wouldn't say that power roles eliminate skill.  They do add a different element though... and I agree with dak that we need more practise on day gaming.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2009, 06:07:48 pm »

We need a Captain Planet Mafia...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »

Vector: Then what's "tactical thinking" if not a puzzle? Consider if you're a doc.

It's a puzzle, but it's... well, ultimately, I'm okay with doctors (2-step thinking--who's scum, who will the scum kill).  I don't like the heavy power role focus that games tend to end up with, the "there are things out there that don't make sense, and there's no good way to infer them."  The "Hey, suddenly 3 people died, and I can't figure out why" drives me nuts.

I wouldn't say that power roles eliminate skill.  They do add a different element though... and I agree with dak that we need more practise on day gaming.

No, they don't eliminate skill.  I don't like feeling as though there's one thing going on--and then suddenly NIGHTPHASE, and everything is different and crappy.

In other words, I'd say that I like behavioral games because the flow of information isn't disrupted so much by power roles.  Scum has more information than town; this entire game is based around picking up on the correct information streams.  Stuff that disrupts those information streams really pisses me off right now, because I already have enough trouble finding them... well, anyway, enough about that.

I'm still not fond of power roles.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2009, 09:38:29 pm »

I think i'll run a 7 - 9 person generic bastard mod mafia after MSPA mafia ends (which, at the rate it's going, could take awhile.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2009, 09:40:42 pm »

I think i'll run a 7 - 9 person generic bastard mod mafia after MSPA mafia ends (which, at the rate it's going, could take awhile.)

... Vector will request that you wait on your small bastard mod until After New Year's, because he is crazy about them and would be sad to miss one.

Of course, given that we have a certain dearth of games running right now, it might be better for the board to just go ahead with any games we can get our hands on.  Hmmm...

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2009, 09:54:16 pm »

We need a Captain Planet Mafia...

Batman Mafia first.

I have several ideas for games, including the one I put up on the Threshold thread, which is essentially an extra closed setup; there are parts of some roles that are not revealed to the person who has them. Not parts like "Naive" or "Insane" or anything like that. These would be passive "powers" ( ;)) the players wouldn't know they have. In that way, it's semi-bastard.

However, I think there would be problems getting and keeping interest.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2009, 12:07:45 am »

I'm thinking we just need all types:  a good mix.

-Day-game heavy games similar in mindset to the Beginner Mafias

- Role-heavy standard games like Paranormal (finally got to join it and it IS interesting, though note I came in after it was rebalanced)

- puzzle style bastard mods

- 'ODD' games, like Wizard's dual

- insane CRAZINESS like KotM (which is going much better now that people calmed down a bit)

I like hosting them all, but my fav are the craziness ones.  I already had a few WTF moments in KotM that I quite enjoy seeing :D

ONLY because it is different from most games, I'll go ahead and request the green light on Near-Mountainous.  The Bastard game will very much wait until next year.

I KNEW IT!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 108