Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140717 times)

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2009, 12:32:03 pm »

...Hypnotyst?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2009, 07:10:27 pm »

Hypnotist: (hidden cult leader) Psychologist, I think. Makes sense flavorwise.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »

Hypnotist: He's given the role PM that every night he can hypnotise someone, this roleblocks them for that night and also tells the Hypnotist what they did the previous night.

What he is not informed of is that everyone he hypnotises also gets inducted into a Cult, the Cultists are deliberately sent PM's telling them that their Cult Leader likes to keep a low profile and be disconnected from the Cult itself, thus they are not allowed talk to him via PM's or they will be modkilled, nor are they allowed point him out or otherwise finger their leader in the thread or they will be modkilled. If he has something to say, he can PM them, but they cannot respond.

I saw it used in a game on MafiaScum.net while i was reading random threads; it was beautiful.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2009, 01:00:18 am »

A new game popped in my head earlier.  Mostly for the sake of just putting it down, I'm writing it here.

Eversion Mafia

First off, if you've played this game then you already have a base idea.

For those that haven't: this is and is not a Bastard Mod game.

The basic root of the game is standard: town vs mafia

The quirk is that the style of the game can change via Eversion.  Through Eversion, the game can change, ranging from one extreme-a mountainous game with only vanilla roles, through other styles increasing in complexity and bastardy.  The styles are as follows:

Mountainous    No powers.  Everyone is a Vanilla aspect of their role.  Starting form of the game.

Basic    Basic setup, similar to a Beginner's Mafia

Empowered    Role Heavy Setup.  Similar to Paranormal Mafia

Bastard    Altered Rules from normal with hidden aspects and lies, but rules are solid (if unknown) 
Similar to the original Kill Webadict Now.

Chaotic Bastard    Unknown roles and effects.  Many different aspects.  Rules exist but many are written as game progresses.  A crazier version of Kill Webadict Now: Dakarian Edition

Horrible Bastard    My only wish is to make you regret that you ever

At various times, an Eversion Point is declared.  Once declared, a player may post or PM to Evert Up or Down.  First to post/PM will be the one to choose.  Everting Up will bring the game up a style (i.e. from Bastard to Empowered) while Everting Down will push the game down one style.

Along with this, the players will have powers to Everse the system as well, such as lock the style in place temporarily, or bring the game to a particular point.  Depending on Size, any third party roles will be greatly benefited by remaining in a particular style (i.e. a Survivor that cannot die so long as the game is in Horrible Bastard mode) and some players may personally prefer some modes to others (i.e. You may be a Townie in Mountainous and Basic, but a Nonvoter in Empowered).

Possible Roles, sorted by Mode

Mountainous: Townie, Mafioso

Basic: Doc, Cop, Townie, Mafioso, Godfather, RoleBlocker

Empowered: Townie, Doc, Cop, Redirector, Motivator, RoleBlocker, Reviver, Tracker, Nonvoter, Ascetic, Godfather, Miller, Judas, Unkillable, Role Cop, Vigilante, Paranoid Gun Owner, ext.  Multi Roles possible

Bastard: Mutant, Changeling, Other hidden features.

Chaotic Bastard: Mystery Role, Unknown effects based on how game plays out.

Horrible Bastard: At the whim of the host.

Although there will be systems in place to attempt to manipulate the Eversions, the game is such that there is nothing lost if the players stick to one Mode all game.  Also, since it is not a true bastard game, the game can be played again.  All that would need to change is the rule set to the Bastard Mode, (Chaotic doesn't even have a formal ruleset.  The host writes the rules as they play out.  Horrible HAS no rules, except that the Eversion system must remain intact).

As far as finding out what you are in each Mode, the role PM will give each of the roles from the start (so, although you start in Mountainous, you'll know what you'll be in the other modes).

Thoughts?

Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2009, 02:22:38 am »

If anyone but you, me, or Web was running it, I would avoid it like the plague.

But I would have faith in your abilities to run it. Maybe help you balance it if you needed, but then I couldn't play. :c
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2009, 05:06:31 am »

Sounds great; I'd join it, definitely.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2009, 05:49:47 am »

Eversion?

WIN.

I'm not going to be able to start any new games until after New Year's, but I would absolutely love to play this.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2009, 05:52:32 am »

Dakarian, that sounds totally ridiculous.  So I'd be in.

The only thing is that "First person to pm" seems a bit... well... random.

Eh, never mind.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2009, 06:56:56 am »

That sounds like something that would work well in a game or on IRC, but would be a nightmare on a forum.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:59 am »

The Eversion system would work best in IRC.  The Bastard portions need a forum.  KWN:DE's Effect system ran on a "write the rules as you go" system and omg was it messy.

@Pandar

You don't know how much I appriciate that compliment. 

Balancing actually shouldn't be as hard as it seems. Mountainous is.well. Mountainous, Basic is just Beginner all over again. 

Empowered is a standard game with lots of roles and the possiblity for multis.  It needs balancing but since it's open we can discuss about that freely.  Meph's spreadsheet he uses for paranormal will be very useful.

Chaotic isn't meant to be so much balanced as it is too confusing to gain advantage.  I'll tell you now, Italics raises its ugly head here and I already have a few cute surprises to start off things. 

Horribly Bastard is meant to be almost too broken to play.  It can't be planned.  All it needs is a host with a horrible horrible mind.

Bastard is probably the only one that needs host-based planning.  I've got a few ideas with that one and I'll have time to flesh this one out.

It might even be best to give an advantage to one side in some modes, since the other team can recover by Everting the system.

What I will need help on is the Eversion powers.  It's easy for the third parties: make them overpowered in their preferred mode and weak in others (i.e. Survivor that's unkillable in Horrible but a Skulker in Empowered and a townie in Mountainous). 

Cute effect: Lylo with a Survivor can be defended by the town by keeping the game in Mountainous/Basic, which has no Survivors. 

The trick is what to do with the Mafia/Town.  In truth, if I had a large player base (note I consider 9p standard so 15 is Large in my eyes :P) I could just stuff it with third parties that fight among themselves to Evert the system then just let the Mafia/Town do what they want.  I imagine like that, the Town would want to keep the game in one mode and stay there and the mafia would follow suit to 'look town'. 

That can work.  Give the eversion powers to third parties, and the mafia for lulz, and let things roll with that. 

@Vector  Do I spot someone who's played the game?  If not you should.  It's fun and a bit twisted once you get past L1

@Leaf  I was thinking of having the town all chime in, but that would make it impossible for it to move beyond what the town wants.  First to PM means third parties or mafia can manipulate the system without being seen.

I'll plop the game into Discussion mode and put up a thread so I can dump my ideas in.  I want this to go well since this game can be played again if it does work well.

I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2009, 11:31:38 am »

Well, as far as balancing, it gets more complex when you want most/all players to have an interest in various branes, right?

Also, a BIT twisted?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2009, 11:36:41 am »

@Leaf  I was thinking of having the town all chime in, but that would make it impossible for it to move beyond what the town wants.  First to PM means third parties or mafia can manipulate the system without being seen.
It could be a secret ballot (ie pmed to you rather than announced on thread) with third parties having special abilities (such as, perhaps, locking it in one mode for one round).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2009, 12:02:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2009, 03:48:08 pm »

@Vector  Do I spot someone who's played the game?  If not you should.  It's fun and a bit twisted once you get past L1

Yup, I'm on L3 or L4, if I remember correctly.  Started playing, and then suddenly math homework started stomping my spare time.  I hope to finish 'er off over winter break.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2009, 03:55:35 pm »

Well, as far as balancing, it gets more complex when you want most/all players to have an interest in various branes, right?

Also, a BIT twisted?

I was thinking that at first. However, I think I'll just try to ask for a decent amount of people and have third parties who make such gains.  Beyond that, I'll just keep the system balanced within each Mode and have the town/mafia decide on the mode.  I can already see players with good roles slightly prefer Empowered while bad roles would prefer Basic.  Mafia will want Bastard best since Bastard games tend to be anti-town until they learn the trick.  Only madmen would want Horrible Bastard (I fully expect Chaotic/Horrible to not show up at all).

@Leaf  One big trick to that: it takes 1-2 days to get everyone to send something in (judging by night matters) and each Eversion point will only move the game one rank up or down.  Besides, that means either the town gets their way most of the time or someone is given a role that gives them too much power.  I can give some roles some feature like letting their vote count even if they aren't first.  Figuring out what powers can exist and what roles could have them will be part of what I'll need help ironing out.

I KNEW IT!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 108