Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140712 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2009, 07:58:04 pm »

An alternative to the Grammar Nazi would be:

Language Nazi (SK)

You automatically kill the first person to make a grammatical or spelling error in a post, this includes things like TXT and other bastardized language forms, but not acronyms. You win when everyone else is dead.
Translation: "We don't want Org or Diakron to play."
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

Language Nazi (SK)

You automatically kill the first person to make a grammatical or spelling error in a post, this includes things like TXT and other bastardized language forms, but not acronyms. You win when everyone else is dead.

Or that guy who brought the word "scumbucket" to the forum.  He makes up a lot of words and uses some pretty funkalicious idioms, right?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »

Best role ever: Immortal Jester. Basically a jester/lyncher

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2009, 08:05:56 pm »

Language Nazi (SK)

Or that guy who brought the word "scumbucket" to the forum.  He makes up a lot of words and uses some pretty funkalicious idioms, right?

We must find this man!

EDIT:

Hee hee HAHAHA

The oldest I can find is YOU Vector.  Here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:10:28 pm by ToonyMan »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2009, 08:13:01 pm »

Yes, I know ._.

I am in fact the person who coined "scumbucket."

And funkalicious.  Not that anyone likes that one.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:18:23 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:19 pm »

Frackin' double-posting mumble-mumble quote next to modify blarghity-blargh.

Do you folks think a game including flavortext would be all right if I restricted flavortexting to three posts per game-day?  I mostly worry about the entire thing degenerating like KWN:DE did, but I am still tempted by das RP.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:20:08 pm by Vector »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2009, 08:18:41 pm »

NOOOOOOO.

Vector, you committed a sin worst than death!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2009, 08:20:28 pm »

You saw NOTHING!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »

@vector: HOW DARE YOU STEAL FROM ME!  *Erradicate, Erradicate, Erradicate!*

An idea:

King of the Mafia

1 Mafia King, x number of players.  Low number.. 5 or 6.

Each player may choose their own role from the Xylbot list with a few exceptions (i.e. no recruiting). Mafia King gets a NK.

VERY hard coded deadlines, 2 RL days MAX per day, 24 hours at night.

Meanwhile, others may sign up during this process by sending the host their chosen role.

If the King dies the people who have signed up may join to replace the ones who've died while a new King Mafia, chosen at random, is chosen, .  Those who have died may sign up with another role.

The cycle continues from where it left off (if the old King was lynched, it starts at night, ext..).

Game ends when one player succeeds in killing off all of their opponents as mafia.

It's meant to be pretty continual, with lots of Kings dying, but with a small group of living players so it doesn't rob too many player slots.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2009, 03:09:36 am »

That's so insane, it might just work.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2009, 11:08:43 am »

I'm wondering what restrictions I should put on the role choice, or if I should just give out random roles (if random, I'll use xylbot so I can allow crazy multi roles.  Dedicated Lesser Ascetic Fallen Angel FTW!!).

I could also do it BYOR style. 

The evil trick is that you can't just think up a role that easily finds the King.. once you are king, you have to use that same role to kill off everyone else. 

So you can become a cop to find the King, but the role is useless once you are King.  You can be a Godfather to try to hide from cops once you become King but what good is it during the hunt?

Also, would I need some balancing tricks.. i.e. an Open setup that always displays the roles (though not the players)?
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:59 pm »

I was thinking of running a game called Duality Mafia. Basic premise is each player would get the same role PM as another player, but one of the players in each pair would in reality have a different role. For instance, 2 players might think they're Doctors, but in reality one of them might be a Bodyguard, Angel, Elite Vanguard, CPR Doctor, or even an Anti-Doctor. Some of the second roles would be better, some of them would be worse. It's very arbitary, although I'll choose for maximum fun.

Note that Townie and Mafioso are considered the same role for my purposes (So there might be pairs that're like a Mafioso + an Ascetic who thinks he's a Townie or a Townie + a Godfather who thinks he's a Mafioso). I won't do anything like Doctor-Vigilante pairs, but weird shit is possible, such as Roleblocker-Banshee, Serial Killer-Random Thing from Beyond, or even Jack of all Trades-MUP. Yes, I would pull that kind of shit, watch me. Half the fun will be guessing what your real role is.

I still haven't decided how to reveal to the players that their role is different from the one on their PM. Obviously I'd tell dead players instantly, although I'd probably have them roleflip the role they thought they were, only revealing their true role the next twilight. Then something like twilight Day 3, I'd tell everyone what their REAL role is. All this is up in the air, that's why I'm asking here. If anybody has a different win-con than the one in their role PM, I'd tell them such twilight Day 2. It's kind of weird to have a Survivor who thinks he's a Jester, eh? Note that I probably won't do this, but I might include something last minute that I wind up regretting, so I have to plan for it.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2009, 10:12:25 pm »

Not telling a player their goal in a game, or telling them the wrong goal, is just going to cause problems- as with your supposed hidden Jester (really Survivor).

Primarily, because the setup does not appear to answer "How can this person achieve their goals?" in any reasonable manner.

Mafia and town could...actually, probably be fine in this respect- the goal of both is to appear town and find a plausible lynch. A townie thinking he's mafia/a mafia thinking he's townie-you realize this breaks if you leave mafia special communication? or you could just make a fake mafia of masons that get to be baffled when their NK doesn't go through.

mafia-thinking-townie:protown in that more "real" scumhunting happens. Promafia in that this is an excellent disguise.
townie-thinking-mafia:Promafia.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 10:14:39 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:13 pm »

Yeah, I was only planning on a Psychiatrist who finds out he's a Cult Leader or a Vigilante who finds out he's a Serial Killer. No mafia (mafia-ally if anything, and even that I'm going to say no), no jester, no lyncher, probably no survivor either. Anything beyond that is just asking for trouble, and even that stuff is a bad idea.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2009, 10:42:39 pm »

Ah yes, the good old Hypnotist role, now that's a bastard role.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 108