Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140690 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 04:38:00 pm »

It would be fun to invite random members of the forum community in, perhaps even giving them special goals.  Hmm, "5 posts in a row on the thread that have nothing to do with the game at hand"...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2009, 05:05:09 pm »

The Toony Classic?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2009, 05:09:06 pm »

I have been drafting out plans for a super-bastard game where people apply by pms and aren't even told who's playing.

Yeah, it's bastard-ish.

And the secret to the next Kill Webadict Now Mafia is out. He wouldn't in, post, or vote, but he'd still be in the game, he'd be a serial killer, and he'd need to be lynched or night killed for the town to win.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2009, 05:24:17 pm »

I don't know why everyone liked the penguin role, it did nothing...except..well..

Quack quack quack.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:06 am »

Discussing and balancing games really should go up here.

Like that humans vs monsters thing.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 11:46:33 am »

I posted this on the thread for orginisation.

Well, I'm torn between making one of two Mafias-making a "Stereotype Mafia" or a "School Mafia".

In "Stereotype Mafia", there's a ton of Stereotyped people (eg. Vampires, Old Ladies, Punks), who are split into two catagories-Good and Evil. Every role will have some sort of power. Some players' roles will "break the stereotype", and be on the opposite allignment, and possibly have different powers. Instead of winning with Town or Mafia, you win with your allignment-Good or Evil.

"School Mafia" bends the rules a bit. Instead of there being a Mafia, there is a bunch of Punks who have done heavy structural damage and graffiti vandalism. Players start with the keys to one room and a can of coloured spray paint. During the night, players can either use their night ability, lend their keys to someone else or spray a message to the room they have keys to. One of the Punks MUST spray something. During the day, players decide between them what story they will tell, and ultimatly, who they will blame. There will most likely be some other quirks in between, so...
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 11:56:21 am »

Aztec mafia.

Something like where the Mod is a God. Maybe Huitzilopochtli, patron god of the Aztecs?
Then there are regular Aztecs, Priests, High Priest(s), Spaniards, and Traitor Aztecs. And maybe an Artifact Bearer. Hmmm...

More rules later.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 12:15:55 pm »

I still like the idea of a Jekyll-Hyde Mafia, were there is a SK who doesn't know who he is at the start of the game. Somewhere along the source of the game, he can figure it out and gain control over his powers(instead of killing people randomly). There will have to be some balancing, but I like it.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 12:22:52 pm »

Stereotype mafia..

So it'll be like:

Old Ladies - Town - able to roleblock by hitting people with their purse.

but you may have a lady that breaks the stereotype - a sk - capable of killing with their steel purse.

interesting.  How many players are you planning on?  In fact, mind giving an example setup of this?

school mafia: this I'm not so sure of since there's a lot of odd behavior going on and I've noticed having too much of it makes everyone go apathetic (see KWN:DE start of Day 2 before I got them to stop gorging themselves on Italics)

Aztec Mafia:

hmm mod as a god smells of lots of mod interaction.  Best to get that organized first.  Any ideas on how the players will interact with this 'god'?

Jekyll-Hyde:

the #1 trick to this game working is the method that the SK realizes they are a SK. 

The #2 trick is keeping the players interested since the day game is effectively useless (since the SK doesn't know they are the SK and, thus, can't drop scumtells)

I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 12:34:21 pm »

Stereotype mafia..

So it'll be like:

Old Ladies - Town - able to roleblock by hitting people with their purse.

but you may have a lady that breaks the stereotype - a sk - capable of killing with their steel purse.

interesting.  How many players are you planning on?  In fact, mind giving an example setup of this?

school mafia: this I'm not so sure of since there's a lot of odd behavior going on and I've noticed having too much of it makes everyone go apathetic (see KWN:DE start of Day 2 before I got them to stop gorging themselves on Italics)

Stereotype-Well, maybe you get a stereotyped cop, he comes along and only finds a sweet old lady then assumes she's good, when she's actually evil.

School-How so?
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 12:49:31 pm »

Sterotypical:  no no no. I mean an example Setup to the game with the players and their roles.

i.e.  An example setup to Beginner's Mafia is:

9 players

1 doctor, 1 cop, and 5 townies vs 1 mafia roleblocker and 1 mafia godfather

Unless it's a Bastard game (thus the setup has to be hidden) you should be able to imagine how  a game would turn out.  How many players would be playing?  How many of those 'groups' and how many players will be in each?  How many scum and what types? 

The setup would change each time, but seeing one example of what could happen will give a good idea on how the game would fall.

School Mafia:

well, it sounds like instead of killing there will be painting.  Why would the punks want to paint and how would everyone else use it?  What's the goal of the sides?

In a normal game, the town is driven by the fear of death.  They know that if they sit around and do nothing they will be killed-one by one- in the night until they lose.  That drives the town forward towards the hunt.  The scum, meanwhile, are driven to commit their night actions to shrink the town because that's how THEY win.  The scum are also driven to duke it out with the town in the day game because they know if they don't 'look town' they'll be lynched and will lose.

Thus both sides have distinct reasons to perform their actions-assuming they want to win.

OTOH, in Religious mafia, there was a town that won by surviving or being converted.  This meant there was no real incentive to find the religious (except perhaps the Zealot which could kill).  Thus they turned VERY passive and rather inactive.   

When you add something 'non-typical' there's a risk the players will play with it then get bored because they don't feel a drive to use it.  You need to make sure there IS a strong, easy to see, drive to do what you want them to do rather than just sit there and flake.
I KNEW IT!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »

@Dak:
Well, the players Pray(aka Vote) for the God(Mod)to kill someone in the day(very normal), but then at night, the Priests(or a type of Priest, like a ritual priest or something like that)can sacrifice a player for the god to do something good, like protect/heal/investigate.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 01:36:26 pm »

Sterotypical:  no no no. I mean an example Setup to the game with the players and their roles.

i.e.  An example setup to Beginner's Mafia is:

9 players

1 doctor, 1 cop, and 5 townies vs 1 mafia roleblocker and 1 mafia godfather

Unless it's a Bastard game (thus the setup has to be hidden) you should be able to imagine how  a game would turn out.  How many players would be playing?  How many of those 'groups' and how many players will be in each?  How many scum and what types? 

The setup would change each time, but seeing one example of what could happen will give a good idea on how the game would fall.

School Mafia:

well, it sounds like instead of killing there will be painting.  Why would the punks want to paint and how would everyone else use it?  What's the goal of the sides?

In a normal game, the town is driven by the fear of death.  They know that if they sit around and do nothing they will be killed-one by one- in the night until they lose.  That drives the town forward towards the hunt.  The scum, meanwhile, are driven to commit their night actions to shrink the town because that's how THEY win.  The scum are also driven to duke it out with the town in the day game because they know if they don't 'look town' they'll be lynched and will lose.

Thus both sides have distinct reasons to perform their actions-assuming they want to win.

OTOH, in Religious mafia, there was a town that won by surviving or being converted.  This meant there was no real incentive to find the religious (except perhaps the Zealot which could kill).  Thus they turned VERY passive and rather inactive.   

When you add something 'non-typical' there's a risk the players will play with it then get bored because they don't feel a drive to use it.  You need to make sure there IS a strong, easy to see, drive to do what you want them to do rather than just sit there and flake.

Stereotype-Well, to pull a 14-player out of the hat, a Townie, a Cop, a Mafioso, A Godfather, an Old Lady, a Punk, a Vampire, Gordon Brown, Barrack Obama, a Smoker, a Zombie, a Doc and a Pirate.

School-Well, what you write MAY have some effect to gameplay. For instance, writing that X loves Y when it's true, then either X or Y will feel emabrresed(See TDI-Where Heather reads out Gwen's diary) and will therefor be unable to post for the next day. Adding someone's name to the end of a message (eg-The Teacher Sucks, by X) will make a small chance that that person will be expelled-more so if Punk.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 01:51:31 pm »

AHh, so the first part = flavor.  No problems there.

Hmmm.. the priests kill someone then perform another action.

It'll require a lot of tweaks but... I like the concept. 

what pops in my head: The priest NEEDs to kill a townie: if they try to kill scum they die instead.

I can see that work if the powers are worthy enough.
I KNEW IT!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 03:46:42 pm »

Sounds like an idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 108