Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140758 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1515 on: November 24, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »

I can't see any actual way for the Good or the Ugly to win.  All the other factions need them to lose and as far as I can tell they don't have enough power to fight back.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:25 pm »

They could be exceptionally good at the game but... Honestly I wouldn't like their chances.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 24, 2013, 09:54:39 pm »

I can't see any actual way for the Good or the Ugly to win.  All the other factions need them to lose and as far as I can tell they don't have enough power to fight back.
Well that is a problem given that they win in the movie. Any suggestions to make them more powerful? Like having it so that the Union and Confederates don't need to kill the Ugly to win.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 24, 2013, 10:40:39 pm »

Here's a suggestion: BASE it on the movie but don't just try to remake the movie. If what you want to do is recreate the movie step for step you're up for a bunch of sadness. Though it seems to me that it could be interesting if you were to make it along the lines of two seperate games going on that interfere with the other.

Perhaps the Union and Confederates don't care at all about the third parties?
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: November 24, 2013, 11:03:53 pm »

Here's a suggestion: BASE it on the movie but don't just try to remake the movie. If what you want to do is recreate the movie step for step you're up for a bunch of sadness.
Yeah, definitely.

Though it seems to me that it could be interesting if you were to make it along the lines of two seperate games going on that interfere with the other.

Perhaps the Union and Confederates don't care at all about the third parties?
This is pretty much exactly what I'd like the game to be like. Yeah I should change it up slightly.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: November 24, 2013, 11:39:48 pm »

Basing a game on existing material is fraught with hazards if your players are even remotely familiar with that material.

Or have access to the internet.

I once played a game where the mod based everything off of the Foundation novels by Isaac Asimov, and used actual names from the novels for the roles. The Mule didn't come out so good, as expected. And it was dead simple to identify the scum (Empire) as role names came out, because the town took the tack that if you weren't sharing your name, you were Empire, period. One scum player had the sense to dig into the source material and invent a role.

Lesson learned: don't do that. Otherwise, it was a great theme setup.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: November 24, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »

Yeah, definitely. But if they're not a third party, they're going to be Confederate Soldier or something.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: November 25, 2013, 05:25:01 am »

Actually it's fine to do that as long as you give the mafia members a list of pro-town characters that aren't in the game.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: November 25, 2013, 08:05:33 am »

Newest CYOM version is up. In this one, non-kill powers are cheaper, and there's more ways to gain points and swap powers out. I really want to see a Prolific Santa scum-team in action now.

Spoiler: CYOM v.1.2 (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail
The main issue is not interest but balance.  The town can easily shoot for a breaking strategy, and the scum's only response is to become a super-cult that wins on like the second day.  Perhaps it would actually be best for town to all take daykills and just end the game on day one before scum have a chance to convert everyone (since scum can only kill once you could confirm townies by firing).

You'd probably need to tone the powers down in order to get rid of town breaking strategies.
Maybe, it's difficult to say ahead of time how well town will manage to co-ordinate strategies. In the newest version, I've costed up the price of cults and made all the non-killing powers cheaper to tempt players to buy several lower-powered abilities for flexibility rather than just one kill.

Toaster
The problem with Dense is the player needs to live to see N3 before it becomes a payoff in not taking it.  The question becomes how much do you want to encourage min/maxing?  If not much, then cap flaws at one.  (BTW Hardcore is probably the best choice if you're not taking a Dense strategy.)  Dense, therefore, becomes weaker as the game gets larger.

Also, Mercenary is just terrible.  Its benefit is lost as soon as you use a power once. 
I've made dense give -1 instead. I think min-maxing is okay so long as the flaws all genuinely give the player a real disadvantage. When someone rocks up with a 10 point character spend they're going to be powerful to begin with but disadvantaged in the late game by all the players who are able to buy things much later on. Mercenary is okay as some players might want to take it just for that extra bit of starting juice. The flaws should be genuinely impactful.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:34:51 am by notquitethere »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 25, 2013, 10:04:59 am »

Here's a way everyone wins:

Mafia all choose secondary wincons. You could even have the mafia kill each other to win. And if one of them gets jester, then it'll be a fairly easy game.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: November 25, 2013, 10:39:11 am »

Mafia all choose secondary wincons. You could even have the mafia kill each other to win. And if one of them gets jester, then it'll be a fairly easy game.
Hmm, that's obviously not desirable. The purchasable secondary wincons are meant to give a bit of character flexibility, but it's all premised on the assumption that players will want to play an interesting and fun game more than they want to play something that allows them to have a quick win but a boring game. The removal of jester/martyr secondary wincons is probably a good move (or at least, they should come with a qualification: like you only win if you're the first to be night killed or the second to be lynched etc.), and scum probably shouldn't be allowed to pick secondary wincons.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: November 25, 2013, 10:54:18 am »

Hmm, that's obviously not desirable. The purchasable secondary wincons are meant to give a bit of character flexibility, but it's all premised on the assumption that players will want to play an interesting and fun game more than they want to play something that allows them to have a quick win but a boring game. The removal of jester/martyr secondary wincons is probably a good move (or at least, they should come with a qualification: like you only win if you're the first to be night killed or the second to be lynched etc.), and scum probably shouldn't be allowed to pick secondary wincons.
I think zombie urist was right. The secondary wincons aren't very good. If they're going to buy a wincon, it better be a full wincon and not a combination of a few.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: November 25, 2013, 11:02:48 am »

Give me a reason why you don't think they're very good. My thinking was that having two possible wincons leaves things tactically open in the game (you might shoot for your secondary wincon, fail and try to recover as town) while most 3rd party roles on their own leave the player with a low likelihood of success (maybe that's just been my experience).

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: November 25, 2013, 11:21:18 am »

This advice is going to come from my experiences as a mod: Players play to win. They want to have fun in the process, but the overall desire is to win, and they might even forsake fun to do it. Plus, most people desire to have everyone win, since that's just more fun.

So, every possible game-breaking situation should be observed, pondered, and either destroyed or balanced. I'm pointing these out because if a player finds them, they'll use it.

So, if all Town players grab the Tier 1 wincons, they win by simply getting to Day X through No Lynches, since Survivors shouldn't count against the scum in terms of Town population, and the Watchers would've won, and the scum have no reason to stop them, since they win as well.

If all the Town players go for Tier 3 wincons, the win by just giving the scum their deaths. It's just an easy way to win, and people will abuse it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: November 25, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

Yeah I can see your point. Again though, as town can't collude beforehand there's little chance that everyone will pick secondary wincons. I mean, you couldn't have a town of all-cops, a town of all-vigs and a town full of secondary-wincon townies: there just isn't the points for it.

Still, as 3rd parties add something to the mix, how about this for an alternative suggestion: town players can bid points during N0 to get a third-party wincon instead of their current wincon. There'll be a limited number of 3rd party slots depending on the number of players, and the players get the allocated the 3rd party wincons from easiest to hardest in bid order. The list of all possible wincons will be known but not the exact ones that might be bidded for. They won't know whether anyone else bidded or was successful. Unsuccessful bids will get their points back before N1.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 108