Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140874 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1275 on: June 03, 2013, 04:54:35 pm »

I've played a live-action Revolution type game (called Arthur or Avalon or somesuch) and that was well balanced and the scum weren't able to privately confer at any point. Led to a more or less even split of wins.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 03, 2013, 05:30:46 pm »

The goal behind my own variant is a bit of a trust building exercise with an intermix of a plethora of different role options that all share a single theme. Each role has evolving abilities, and become stronger as the game goes on. Most, deal with either damaging an opponent, deception, or healing. A few characters will be given insight into the nature of other players, but it is ultimately up to the Town to decipher how characters are dying and how to react to it.

Due to the sheer amount of pain and chaos that will be floating about, players will be able to form "parties"; groups of players who have banded together under a mutual banner to afford themselves some protection as a single unit. While this hinders an individual character's ability to evolve, the protection that they get from being in a group may be enough to help them survive until the scum is crushed. But, the allure of more power can be quite the motivator.

Utlitmately, the Town's success will lie in the ability of the Town to coordinate it's efforts and work together. On the flip side of the coin, there is also a strong chance of success for individual players who know when to shirk the defenses of a group and take action on their own. I intend to try to reward both types of players. If a player can survive in the No-Man's land, he will be rewarded by evolving faster and gaining more powerful abilities. But, what use is this power if you cannot live long enough to use it?

I do like the idea of the Agents of Chaos though. Explore it. Perhaps it can be in the sidelines, while there still is a Mafia. Sort of a demented form of a serial killer if you will.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:34 pm »

Scum probably needs to not have any chance to discuss strategy for the game balance to work.

Bah, I missed this before I posted.

If I were to consider any changes, it would be to give the Town more decisions options. The Spy side being able to organize is a neccessary thing. Otherwise, it ends up as one large batch of WIFOM on just their side. Which isn't going to be fun.
BIRDS.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 03, 2013, 06:14:53 pm »

The goal behind my own variant is a bit of a trust building exercise with an intermix of a plethora of different role options that all share a single theme. Each role has evolving abilities, and become stronger as the game goes on. Most, deal with either damaging an opponent, deception, or healing. A few characters will be given insight into the nature of other players, but it is ultimately up to the Town to decipher how characters are dying and how to react to it.
Don't do something this complicated.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 03, 2013, 07:07:03 pm »

Don't do something this complicated.

Certainly not yet. That would be a terrible idea. I plan on having a few extra games under my belt before I do anything too extreme. Baby steps.

My current sights are on the Revolution Type game. Once the details are set, I think that would be an excellent place to start. There is interest in the game mode, so I think players would fill up the slots rapidly. I just need to iron out the final details, such as flavor and any potential balance changes.
BIRDS.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 04, 2013, 06:10:25 pm »

I am currently going through all the details right now.

For now, I plan on mimicking GlyphGryph's origional flavour. The game will be set after the embarrassing failure of the March Revolution. This time however, the spies will have no time to plan. They will be alerted of their allies, and then be promptly thrown into the game along with the rebels.

Should spies need to communicate, they must find a way to get it past the rebels this time around.
BIRDS.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 04, 2013, 07:05:36 pm »

I am 100% on board with everything you have just written.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 04, 2013, 08:27:19 pm »

Alright... In that case, there is only one thing to test. The flavor. Let's see if I can work up something... A sample if you will.

Prologue

"The March Revolution will go down in the history books as a monument to our success and a shrine of the Rebel's failure!"

Leafsnail smiled and exhaled a plume of black smoke into the air. In one hand, he held large cigar. In the other, he held the newspaper commemorating his greatest triumph. Leafsnail grins, hardly controlling his joviality. "Front page gentlemen! 'Confused Rebel Scum Purged from Empire!'"

His cohorts joined him in a single mass of raucous laughter, hooting like barbarians. Tonight the spies celebrate. Zombie Urist breaks out his best wine, while Nerjin recounts the story of him shooting Dariush one more time. His arms fly around in wide frenzied circles in his state of inebriation. "And he went down like a rock! Just. Like. That." He folds his finger into a gun and fires off a few mock rounds. Nerjin promptly falls backwards in his chair, which sends him plummeting to the ground. Leafsnail continues to pound the table as the sound of laughter fills the smoky room.

Only Zombie Urist remains composed. His face is etched in lines of deep thought as he swirls the wine in his glass. Leafsnail, in a fit of disorderly conduct will have none of it. He stumbles over and slings his arm around his scum buddy, rubbing his hair in a disorderly fashion. "My dear friend, you are looking more dead than usual tonight! Come on and celebrate!"

"Not yet." Zombie Urist snatches the newspaper out of his hand and jabs it in Leafsnail's face. "We captured five of the rebels. Five."

"And?" Nerjin asks incuriously. He rises up from the floor, using the table as a grip.

"There were six. One escaped capture."

Nerjin slides back into his chair, giggling. "Who gives a flying shit? We won. The rebellion was crushed. Game over man. Game over." His chuckling dies off as the hero of the spies conveniently slips into an alcohol induced coma, leaving Zombie Urist and Leafsnail to discuss the matter with one another.

"That so."

"Yeah."

"Who is it?"

"You know who it is." Zombie Urist hisses. "Him. It's easy to put out the fires of resistance, but if we have failed to destroy the embers, we may have an ever larger fire on our hands."

"You mean... He's coming back?"

Zombie Urist nods and leans in close, grabs Leafsnail's collar and looks him straight in the eye. "Yes. The Revolution has only just begun.
BIRDS.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: June 04, 2013, 10:07:05 pm »

I'm so sad I lost that game.  :(

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: June 04, 2013, 10:20:00 pm »

What about two spies and one spy ally who wins with the spies? The two spies have a day to plan and know there is a spy-ally. The spy ally needs to identify the spies and work with them while remaining hidden. The spy ally can sabotage too, but he won't be able to communicate with the other spies secretly.

Any thoughts?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 05, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »

What about two spies and one spy ally who wins with the spies? The two spies have a day to plan and know there is a spy-ally. The spy ally needs to identify the spies and work with them while remaining hidden. The spy ally can sabotage too, but he won't be able to communicate with the other spies secretly.

Any thoughts?

I think we may need to run another vanilla before we start adding anything new.

Now! I am going to aim to have this game up on or by Friday. I'll let the players trickle in after that.

However, I have just a single question. Should I be forced to take a short leave of absence, what is the process for finding a backup GM?
BIRDS.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: June 06, 2013, 01:42:56 am »

The flavor is fine other than the fact that I don't drink and, quite frankly, I'm angered by even the thought. But it's pretty good flavor other than my silly nit-pick.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: June 06, 2013, 01:10:11 pm »

I'll backup GM. Also you should probably announce the game in the games threshold discussion thread.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: June 06, 2013, 01:11:20 pm »

I think I already did.

Edit: I need to pay attention to the thread names.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:19:31 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

I'm talking about Birdy51 and Revolution II
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 108