Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140936 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #1155 on: April 03, 2013, 06:13:49 am »

If you hit something discussing nightkill targets then yeah that's the game broken.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 03, 2013, 06:30:19 am »

But if scum know about the existence of tapping abilities, then it encourages them to speak in code, which could be fun.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

If you hit something discussing nightkill targets then yeah that's the game broken.
Honestly I was just counting the probability that a Mafia was named.  With the target being named it jumps to around 40% if I recall correctly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 03, 2013, 11:08:09 am »

But if scum know about the existence of tapping abilities, then it encourages them to speak in code, which could be fun.

The only problem with this is that it hampers the scum a good bit and reduces their effectiveness. You'd have to carefully balance the game around the fact that the scum have lost one of their big advantages.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 03, 2013, 11:09:38 am »

I think scum usually have too many advantages as it is.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 03, 2013, 11:22:08 am »

How did I not see this before posting a halfass game idea in the wrong thread.
Later I'll try to put it here and you all can see how unintentionally OP I'll make the scum.
Maybe.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:25 am »

I think scum usually have too many advantages as it is.

If they do, that's a balance issue.

Typically, town and scum should be balanced so that they win about half the time each. Slightly less if third parties are involved, although the win conditions for those are variable and don't always effect the town/scum win ratios.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 03, 2013, 11:27:07 am »

Which is why scum winning BMs 5/6ths of the time is a bit of a problem!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 03, 2013, 11:32:57 am »

That ratio doesn't really surprise me. The game is about an informed minority against an uninformed majority. Until the town learns how to properly scumhunt the scum will usually win. They generally won't accidentally hit one of their own during the day and pretty much can't at night. Even town power roles are simply hoping that they've made the right choice at night and unless a Cop makes a good guess on the inspect the town is pretty much going to be shooting blind. They don't know how to spot scum from new player (they're all pretty much new), and that is a skill even most veteran players don't have.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if town won even close to half the games given that a basic town game is all about skill, while a basic scum game is more about avoiding getting lynched long enough to win. Quite frankly, scum has the easier goal.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 03, 2013, 01:32:57 pm »

Yes - and the game should be balanced accordingly.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 03, 2013, 01:34:53 pm »

Yes - and the game should be balanced accordingly.

Have we come up with a way to balance it towards the town without throwing power roles at the town, though?
Come play Mafia with us!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 03, 2013, 01:41:35 pm »

Possible balances for BM:

One more town member.
Scum chat only before the game begins or only at certain phases.
No scum chat at all.
Game begins with a deathless night phase to benefit cops.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: April 03, 2013, 01:43:46 pm »

There aren't many options left besides that (though I agree that doing so is wrong for this gametype.)  The only two ways left I see are procedural (Either move the scum IC out of scumchat or remove it entirely) or numerical (Add a townie or two.)

PPE: I think scumchat limits work counter to the teaching aspect of the game.  A N0 is just begging for a "follow the cop" type of gameplay.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:01 pm »

Yeah, the point of a BM is primarily to teach, so any solutions would need to be ones that don't prevent teaching or teach bad habits.

A numeric advantage for town would probably be ok, since that has the smallest impact on the core aspects of the game.

Hmm...what about a Town IC that isn't actually playing? Someone that is known to be town and can give advice, but can't vote or directly effect the game. It would need to be someone who can be a bit hands-off and careful about not letting the town just play follow-the-leader, but it might have the best combination of teaching and improving town's chances of winning.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:51:16 pm by Mephansteras »
Come play Mafia with us!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 03, 2013, 01:51:29 pm »

Would you want one or two more?  One mostly gets you to MYLO instead of LYLO short of a doctor save, while two is an extra lynch for town.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 108