Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140989 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #975 on: February 21, 2012, 02:14:40 pm »

...gods, I really should start thinking my ideas through before offering them to the public.

* Dariush headdesks.

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »

How about the following setup:

- Mafia does not get a nightkill, but the town is not told how many scum there are (or indeed whether there are any), nor do players roleflip when they die.
- Day ends with hammer.
- As an alternative to hammering, the town can vote to end the game: If they have eliminated all scum and end the game, then town wins. If they have not and end the game, scum wins.
- To give the town an incentive to not just keep lynching when they believe they have found all scum, townies are given functions, such as "driver," "gunner," "hideout," "safecracker." Each player is give multiple different functions, such that the town a number of townies who can fill each function. If the town does not have a full team when they end the game, the game is a draw. The number of functions and the number of functions per townie (and thus the amount of redundancy) must obviously be varied with the number of players.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 21, 2012, 04:30:35 pm »

Firstly bear in mind that with no nightkill there is absolutely no reason not to claim day one.  After that you can probably just systematically lynch people down to the minimum number of team roles remaining.

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:20 pm »

Yeah, but a massclaim won't help find the scum in this setup.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 21, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »

It would help you lynch everyone unnecessary though.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 29, 2012, 11:29:00 am »

Out of curiosity, how well have Mafia games gone in the past that have incorporated additional RTD or RPG elements?  Outside of Roguelike, I suppose. 

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 29, 2012, 11:32:57 am »

We never made a RTD mafia because people were too wussy to trust the RNG.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 29, 2012, 11:34:41 am »

There was Kill Webadict Now: Dakarian Edition.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 29, 2012, 11:45:11 am »

No, we never had one because there was far less elements of skill than wanted.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 29, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »

I've sat down several times and tried to make one of those work, but the ability list always comes up lame and too random to use.

Let's look at cop and doc, for instance:

Cop:
1: No result, and target is told you were trying to inspect them.
2: No result.
3: Result that has a 50% chance to be naive.
4: Result.
5: Result- ignores godfather/miller effects.
6: Result, but target is told they were inspected.

It might as well just be a 50% cop.

Doc:

1: The target dies.
2: No effect.
3: 50% chance of protect.
4: Target is protected.
5: Target and target's target are protected.
6: CPR Doc effect.

You're nearly as likely to kill the target as to protect it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 29, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »

Someone suggested that a way to ameliorate that would be to lower the success bar: make the result for "3" the same as the current result for "4".

* Then your cop is 67% cop, not 50%, and is never naive (but question: why would the target be told on a 6?)

* Then your doc has only a 16% chance of a kill, and a 67% of a successful protect (but question: what does a CPR doc do?)

But yeah, the random effect is too big and somewhat discouraging, as people are used to just having abilities, and having them work reliably and consistently. The random effect makes skill seem less important. But I would in on something like this.

The early RTD experiment, if I recall correctly, had a standard Mafia gameplay, and a RTD game going on within flavour. It was fun to read, but some thought not as fun to play. But I'd in for one of those too.
No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 29, 2012, 12:43:11 pm »

IMO the following for doc would work better:
Doc:
1: The target dies.
2: The target is informed that you were trying to do something undisclosed to him.
3: The target is informed that you were trying to protect him (no protect happens).
4: The target is protected, but if the protect triggers, you die instead.
5: Target is protected.
6: The target is protected and informed that you were trying to protect him.
Also, what does CPR Doc effect mean?

But anyway, I see what you mean now. I was afraid it would be something along the lines of 'Roll d6 to determine whether a given action succeeds'.

Or maybe we should use dice with more sides than 6. I like this 'slightly variable effect' idea.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 29, 2012, 12:47:26 pm »

A CPR doc kills if the target doesn't get targeted by a different kill. Otherwise, it protects.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 29, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »

While having RTD abilities is interesting, I was more thinking along the lines of what Bookthras was suggesting.  Having the Mafia part and the "other" part more separate. 

Or just some other game mechanic altogether.  Like, and I'm just pulling this out of my ass here, say we had a zombie survival Mafia.  So there would be scum you're trying to oust, but then most players would have additional abilities like scavenging for food/stuff/barricade material, building barricades, etc.  So you'd decide to use a typical mafia-like ability (say investigate) or nail some wood over those windows to keep the zombies out.  Or maybe you have multiple actions and choose which to do or something. 

Another (very rough) idea I was tossing around is something like a three-phase game.  Like, for each "day" there's an adventure stage (maybe something RPG-ish like a dungeon crawl), then a camp phase where "normal" mafia gameplay happens, and some abilities/items you've earned in the prior phase come into play, then a night phase like normal.

I guess I'm not happy unless things are horribly complicated. 
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 108