Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141069 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #765 on: March 03, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »

You know what might be cool? Tweaking it so it's two gods facing off, manipulating a population at their whims

If you did that, make the rest of the game survivors and tweak a lot of the abilities to be conversion-type stuff. Course now we're talking an entirely different kind of game, so save all that for another day.

One general thing: giving protection to another player is both boring and weak. Considering that most kills are going to come from the god either directly or indirectly, it won't matter unless the god happens to pick a player an earlier serial killer also chose. I'd make it a roleblock+protection at the very least to help make it less situational.

Considering that if the god wanted to protect someone (which they don't!), they'd be just as likely to kill the person.
The powers are random, the god just picks a player to target, and a random power is applied.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 17, 2011, 01:10:17 am »

Crazy, but possibly doable idea: Nomic Mafia.  Start with everyone having a powerless role, and extremely simple rules.  Let people vote on rules to add/remove.  Chaos ensues.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:04 am »

Ooh, look up LCS and see how that went!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 17, 2011, 01:24:53 am »

Hmm,

I'm not experienced at all at mafia, but what about "Anonafia?"
It would run essentially as a vanilla Game, but you have no idea what the other player's names are, because everyone uses numbered accounts supplied by the Mod (I.E. player1, player2, player3, etc.)
The actual player's names would be listed in the beginning, but they would be given their numbered names in secret.
You could make a good game component out of having players guess the names of others to gain their voting rights, at the risk of losing their own.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 17, 2011, 01:32:47 am »

I've actually wanted to run that kind of game in the past, but I highly doubt Toady will allow 13+ public accounts. I didn't even feel like asking, to be honest.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 17, 2011, 08:04:23 am »

He's pretty against multiple accounts.  A similar idea was tried in another game (with one anonymous account a couple people had access to) and that account got deleted.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 17, 2011, 11:09:19 am »

Plus you can work a lot of it out from when people log on.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 17, 2011, 12:10:45 pm »

Not to mention posting styles, spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »

Well, that's supposed to be one of the points, actually. It doesn't help to determine alignment, though, so there's not much point. Well, unless you want to get meta reads, then you have a good reason.

But anyways, another problem would be that a LOT of players would be super easy to pick out from the group. Even with a silly name, Org will be Org.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 17, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »

Well, that's supposed to be one of the points, actually. It doesn't help to determine alignment, though, so there's not much point. Well, unless you want to get meta reads, then you have a good reason.

But anyways, another problem would be that a LOT of players would be super easy to pick out from the group. Even with a silly name, Org will be Org.
herp derp. wut?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 17, 2011, 09:52:16 pm »

Go suck a lemon.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 17, 2011, 10:15:53 pm »

And with anonymity, players can imitate Org.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 17, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »

I realize it wouldn't quite be the same, but you could probably run such a thing in a quicktopic or similar.

Of course, then you'd still have people entering their B12 name on accident and whatnot, but still.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 17, 2011, 10:23:17 pm »

Bah, Same as making an obvious scumtell.
Good idea with the Quicktopic, though.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 17, 2011, 10:45:13 pm »

And with anonymity, players can imitate Org.

Much offense meant, but why would anybody WANT to be like Org?

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 108