Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141063 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #750 on: March 03, 2011, 02:06:05 pm »

Does the god have a nightkill?

Would the god be able to pick from the names of the powers, or just "Who do you want to target with a random power tonight?"

Would the god know what the power did after it was done?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 03, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »

Would the cult win with the god?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 03, 2011, 03:06:38 pm »

Would the cult win with the god?

No, heretics win if both god AND town are dead.

Does the god have a nightkill?

Would the god be able to pick from the names of the powers, or just "Who do you want to target with a random power tonight?"

Would the god know what the power did after it was done?

1: No, but his demigod (if he gets one) can.

2: the god chooses a number from 1-10, the list is randomised each time, so the god chooses a target and a number, and the power assigned to said number is used.

3: Only for kill and ordinate.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 03, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »

Ok, here's a few ideas:

• Clue mafia. Day phase is pretty much vanilla mafia, but during the night you'll have to investigate the murder weapon and the scene of crime. ("Book, in the library, with the lead pipe.") Getting one of those wrong results in a no-lynch, and everybody gets a PM whether their proposed weapon or the SoC was wrong. ("You examine the lead pipe, and you find no indication of it having been used as the murder weapon")
  • Bring somebody else's role. Pretty much self-explanatory.
  • Webadict must survive! Wuba is a jester, and the others win when he lives at the end.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 03, 2011, 03:32:59 pm »

So, does anyone think I should try doing a Hated God game?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 03, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

One problem is how swingy the whole game winds up being. I'm not sure how swingy is too swingy, though. And an actual game will help with balance testing.

At the very least, start writing the flavor.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:32 pm »

Super:  Why bother with the number if the list is hidden?  Just specify the target.  Unless the abilities can be reused? 

I'd at least watch it.  Let a couple people better at balancing than me look over it, then go for it- not much else in signups now.

Cult is iffy. What happens if they try to recruit the god?  Does the cult all die if the head dies?

Darvi:
1:  Seems like the town could pool information to figure it out quickly.
2:  Org put it up and filled the game, but it never started.  Could always try again.
3:  Needs more details.  Is there a mafia?  Is the requirement everyone dies but him for town to win?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 03, 2011, 03:43:56 pm »

Also to Super:  What is the god's wincon?  What happens when the game reaches just the god and a townie?

If the cult is too much, replace it with a lyncher fixed to a townie whose win is separate from town or god.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 03, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »

1) Eh, I'd have to tweak the rules a bit.
2) Ya, why not
3) It's like KWN, 'cept not. And a previous Wuba loses if Wuba survives, so there's at least some incentive to get him lynched.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 03, 2011, 03:56:21 pm »

Also to Super:  What is the god's wincon?  What happens when the game reaches just the god and a townie?

If the cult is too much, replace it with a lyncher fixed to a townie whose win is separate from town or god.

The god needs to get the townie/heretic number down to 1, or 2 if the god gets a demigod.

Basically, the god has mafia win conditions.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #760 on: March 03, 2011, 04:09:34 pm »

You know what might be cool? Tweaking it so it's two gods facing off, manipulating a population at their whims
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 03, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 03, 2011, 04:18:03 pm »

Super:  Are the abilities reusable?

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 03, 2011, 04:22:43 pm »

Super:  Are the abilities reusable?

No. If the game SOMEHOW goes on for more than 10 days, I'll think of more powers.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 03, 2011, 04:23:29 pm »

You know what might be cool? Tweaking it so it's two gods facing off, manipulating a population at their whims

If you did that, make the rest of the game survivors and tweak a lot of the abilities to be conversion-type stuff. Course now we're talking an entirely different kind of game, so save all that for another day.

One general thing: giving protection to another player is both boring and weak. Considering that most kills are going to come from the god either directly or indirectly, it won't matter unless the god happens to pick a player an earlier serial killer also chose. I'd make it a roleblock+protection at the very least to help make it less situational.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 108