Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140964 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #570 on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:46 am »

1) Big Brother is watching you:
No mafia (but players don't know it) - every day moderator himself picks someone to kill, lynches go as usual, all other roles are present (though moderator can't target any protected people)
2) Possessive Spirit:
Every day, a new mafia is selected. If a current mafioso is killed, next time one man less is selected. Other roles go as usual.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 23, 2010, 08:05:40 am »

1) Big Brother is watching you:
No mafia (but players don't know it) - every day moderator himself picks someone to kill, lynches go as usual, all other roles are present (though moderator can't target any protected people)
2) Possessive Spirit:
Every day, a new mafia is selected. If a current mafioso is killed, next time one man less is selected. Other roles go as usual.

1) How does town win?
2) How do people not work against their own interests? :I
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 23, 2010, 08:48:03 am »

1) No way. Big Brother always wins :P
2) They have to seek mafia short-term, during a single day. Any data acquired on previous days becomes obsolete.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 23, 2010, 11:26:36 am »

1) No way. Big Brother always wins :P
2) They have to seek mafia short-term, during a single day. Any data acquired on previous days becomes obsolete.

1) That sounds not fun at all, except as a one shot "OH HO HO HO HOW SILLY" thing.
2) Aaaand if they kill mafia then get lynched on their round as it, they screwed themselves. And if they kill town as mafia then are town when Mafia wins, they screwed themselves. That's... yeah.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 26, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »

I've decided that I'll try another round of Kingmaker as my next game.  I plan to do a fairly open setup, where I'll put all the possible roles in the initial post, but not guarantee which ones will be there.

Questions for you: should the Kingmaker be allowed to claim?  The role was on both games here, but I've seen it where the KM cannot claim.  Which roles besides the standard ones (hero, doctor, merchant) should be considered?

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 26, 2010, 04:54:51 pm »

I think KM should be allowed to claim, as I don't see it as being a big deal. Have in Hero, Merchant, and maybe Doctor, but it depends on the size, really.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2011, 01:48:22 pm »

I was wondering what kinds of Third Parties people can come up with. I'm trying to come up with a larger list.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2011, 02:50:38 pm »

I was wondering what kinds of Third Parties people can come up with. I'm trying to come up with a larger list.

Just in general or for any specific setup?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 24, 2011, 03:12:53 pm »

Planning another Third Party Mafia?

Obviously, in addition to Town and Mafia, we have SK, survivor, cult, jester, lyncher, and mafia-ally.  Would you put in another flavor of SK (arsonist/doomspeaker)?  A custom one with some flavor of oddball wincon is a possibility, but I have no ideas off the top of my head.  Certainly the game mechanically would run better with a ninth player.

How would you do roles?  A one-shot inspect for everyone aka TP2 or scattered roles like TP1?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 24, 2011, 03:17:34 pm »

Preferably generic. So far I've got the original eight, plus maybe a few more.

Team: Win Condition
Town: At least one alive with no anti-Town factions alive.
Mafia: Outnumber the town with no killers alive.
Mafia-Ally: Mafia wins. (I believe this is the true win condition for MA.)
Survivor: Must be alive when the game ends.
SK: All others must be dead.
Cult: Outnumbers the town with no killers alive. Sometimes with, depending on the cult.
Lyncher: Lynch player "x" while alive.
Jester: Get lynched.

New/stolen ideas:
Martyr: Get killed.
Watcher: Get to Day "x"
Kidnapper: Kidnap "x" different alignments
Brother: Get player "x" to win.
Diviner: Correctly guess "x" lynches.

I'm kinda spitballing here, though.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 24, 2011, 03:56:34 pm »

Guessing correct lynches is one of those that seems more fun than it is, just like a guy whose alignment shifts.

One possibility is to add a second cult leader and then make the townie a recruiting mason. Vwheehee!
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 24, 2011, 04:03:10 pm »

Existing role wincons:
What if the lyncher's target is NKed?  I know standard procedure is for him to become town, but what about in TPM?

New ones:
I like Martyr.  Watcher is practically the same as Kidnapper in this version.  Diviner and Brother are probably too hard.  Would the Brother know the role of the target?

Also, I'd like some feedback on some proposed changes to Kingmaker.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:05:32 pm by Toaster »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 24, 2011, 04:12:41 pm »

Existing role wincons:
What if the lyncher's target is NKed?  I know standard procedure is for him to become town, but what about in TPM?

New ones:
I like Martyr.  Watcher is practically the same as Kidnapper in this version.  Diviner and Brother are probably too hard.  Would the Brother know the role of the target?
The lyncher becomes Town if the target is killed.

Brother wouldn't actually be too difficult, as it'd be like flipped Mafia-Ally. You know who you're helping but not their alignment.

Watcher and Kidnapper weren't necessarily going to be in Third Party Mafia. These were actually ideas for BYOR more than anything else.

Diviner is a meh choice that was posted somewhere. We'll just scrap that one then.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:31 pm »

I guess you could have seeker, whose goal is to find or kill a specific role in the night.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »

I guess you could have seeker, whose goal is to find or kill a specific role in the night.
Like a Lyncher, but kill-oriented? That could work.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 108