Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140946 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #540 on: December 02, 2010, 03:00:15 am »

I said unlock, not continue. Pay fuckin' attention.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 02, 2010, 03:34:34 am »

I said unlock, not continue. Pay fuckin' attention.

"Unlock" is what I took from it, and the point stands. Pay fucking attention: it's dead, Jim, and it has been for months. To what purpose would you unearth her maggoty corpse now? We would have loved to know pieces of it then; O were it unlocked when we were young still, way back when... but no, it has been too long, its corpse a victim of neglect and procrastination. Nought but a worm farm now. Quit fucking it. Why would you prop its corpse up? To parrot some opinions? No! Let it be, it's best left as a memory of what could have been, and its best parts reused in your next great game (for which I'll in if you'll be arsed to run it).

Let bygones be bygones, and get on with the new thing, man! This is not the thread for it, but I still ask: when is the next BYOR, in one form or another? I love role-heavy games, man, and after Paranormal, there's none!
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 02, 2010, 05:08:58 am »

I'll put that BYOWH game into signups late next week. It's not like anybody cares if most of the game actually takes place in January, right?

This is all assuming nobody wants to run Christmas Mafia 2, in which case I'd gladly run a different themed BYOR.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 02, 2010, 09:46:46 am »

I plan, after finals, to unlock the old BYOR:T, NOT reveal its secrets so I can reuse them, and run a new one.

I'm just curious- how many semesters do you have left?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #544 on: December 02, 2010, 09:56:17 am »

He has ALL THE SEMESTERS LEFT. ALL OF THEM.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 02, 2010, 10:49:16 am »

I love role-heavy games, man, and after Paranormal, there's none!

Oh, I'll probably run something after Paranormal 17. Maybe a bastard game, maybe a Supernatural. But there will be something.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 02, 2010, 07:41:04 pm »

So... Bastard Mystery Madness.

The basic idea: you're trapped in a house with a bunch of other people, and some of them are out to kill you.  It'd function sortof like Mapped Mafia, only much less lame.  You'd move your piece around on the board every "phase", although you'd be able to map private actions with the moderator (anyone can do this, and it'd override your public move - although your public move would still be the one displayed on the thread if you made one).

As long as you're alive, you can post on the thread during the day.  This is the town's main way to find scum.  However, if you want to pretend to be dead, all you need do is hide somewhere and stop posting.  Of course, if someone finds you later, you may have a hard time explaining it... although perhaps there'll be other reasons for mysterious silences.

Lynchings would work fairly similarly to the usual.  Every "phase" you can vote on someone to lynch.  If the person is present, they'll simply be lynched at the end of the phase.  If you decide to lynch someone in their abscence, you'll issue a kindof "warrant" for them, and the next time they are outnumbered by people who voted for them, they will be lynched (exact mechanics if people change their minds or if one of the voters is on a scumteam with them to be decided).

Mafia kills would be... different.  With no night phase, the mafia can take their chances to strike at isolated players and reduce the towns numbers that way.  Or use carefully planned traps or sneak attacks.  Or possibly use their special mechanics if the town is staying clumped together and not playing ball.

The bastard element?  Well, I feel people could still try to break the game by all hanging together all the time.  Therefore, I'd design the setup with roles/ alignments/ mechanics to counter this tactic.  These would have to be kept hidden in order to be effective... so it would be a closed setup.

The things I would be able to guarentee about the setup:
There is a scumteam.  They are trying to kill the town.  The town is trying to kill them.
Scumhunting will almost certainly be vital to the town for winning.
Your role pm is the truth.  I will not lie to you in it at all.
I will not directly attempt to trick you.  Only your fellow players will do that, although they may have help from the initial setup.
The moderator is not the culprit.

Other than that... well, most exact rules are pretty vague in my mind.  Hammers or deadlines?  Which map to use (I was thinking of stealing the Kill Doctor Lucky board, though)?  Exactly how far would you be able to move each time?  What exactly would you be able to do inside a room (at the very least, Hide, Search and Lock/ Unlock would be options)?  But then again, I don't want to spend ages writing a ruleset if there's no interest :P.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 02, 2010, 07:46:10 pm »

Modified Clue board, with the center being The Family Vault. Xanatos Roulette-type circumstances for mysterious effects!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 02, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »

This looks pretty neat, but I'd give it a little bit more time.  I don't know if a board can handle any heavier-duty bastards right now; I think the capacity is looking for near-mountainous games and BYORs at the moment, and once we have some sort of BYOR/thematic game program working again, it sounds like it'd be a neat idea.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »

Heh, it'd take a while to make a coherent ruleset anyway.

Modified Clue board, with the center being The Family Vault. Xanatos Roulette-type circumstances for mysterious effects!
Ah... I'm liking this idea.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 13, 2010, 01:05:43 pm »

I've got an idea to make a Mafia game with attack/defense (or health) system.
Basic idea - everyone gets a NK, but for it actually to succeed the total attack of attacking group has to be higher than the total defense or defending group. Basically, everyone has two stats at the start of the game with modifiers based on some outside parameters (e.g. +2 defense when in own home) along with usual mafia inspections and the like. Also important factor is the location of the player - if, for example, he went out to defend or attack someone and someone else arrived to take him out, they may choose to wait and get the bonus for an ambush attack when he returns. You may also set your policy on everyone arriving - you may choose to shoot particular players on sight or let them inside (and get penalty for backstab if they are actually after your soul). Lynches work as usual, irrelevant of those stats.
That's the idea in a nutshell. If people think it's good, I'll elaborate on it. (actually, I've already thought of backstory, roles, etc., but I don't think posting them would be a good idea if the idea is about to be discarded as stupid)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #551 on: December 13, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »

It sounds interesting enough, but it's going quite aways into Forum Games in general as opposed to Mafia in specific.  I think that Wizard Duel (as an example) is already on the line, and your goes beyond that even.

How would you say that this is still a 'Mafia' game?  (Basically, informed minority versus uninformed majority with the focus of the game on reading people and manipulation)

I could see this working on the Mafia board, but you'll probably need a few more details first.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 13, 2010, 01:21:01 pm »

Sounds kind of like BANG!, although with actual lynches involved.

Bang is pretty much a mafia variant, so it could work here. But you might want to look that game up to see how it works.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 13, 2010, 01:34:04 pm »

How would you say that this is still a 'Mafia' game?  (Basically, informed minority versus uninformed majority with the focus of the game on reading people and manipulation)

I could see this working on the Mafia board, but you'll probably need a few more details first.
It's still Mafia - the informed minority can take advantage of... being informed and kill their target together; they can manipulate the townies into working with them to NK the same target; the townies can form alliances with those they trust; it all boils down to the same core with the exception that everyone can take their chances at night as opposed to just mafia and third party and adds some measures to balance this.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #554 on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:17 pm »

Fair enough.  I missed the part about lynches the first time around, which helps.

How much havoc do you expect during the night?  Is it possible for a bunch of people to die each night, or just 1 or 2 (Mafia night kill + maybe 1 town kill).

Also, would a Mafioso be able to kill someone by themselves or would it require more than one of them?  If the former, what stops them from killing half the town; if the latter, what about investigative roles?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 108