Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 140919 times)

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #480 on: November 13, 2010, 04:53:41 pm »

KaminaSquirtle disapproval enormous.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #481 on: November 13, 2010, 05:02:47 pm »

Hmm... recently, I've began to feel that we're just too wordy in our games.  I mean, our posts and threads bloat to ridiculous proportions.

So how about a game with a word/ post limit per person per day on it?  Could be interesting to see if we can be more to the point.
Maximum, minimum, or both?  Because if it's just a maximum limit it'll just help lurkers lurk.  And what would you do if someone ignores the limit?
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 13, 2010, 05:54:24 pm »

Maximum and modkill respectively.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 13, 2010, 05:56:17 pm »

IthinkIknowwhatmysolutionwouldbe.  Hahahahhaa.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 13, 2010, 09:20:56 pm »

I've been tossing around ideas in my head for a post-powered mafia.  It'd be different than a post restriction mafia in that people's posts influence their role power.  For an example, loot at my BYOT role- every two times I posted a pun, I got an extra vote, and was NK immune if anyone punned in response.  It could have roles where you could only target your night action at someone who quoted you, and other examples like that.  Would there be any interest?

My next game will probably still be somewhat role light, though I do have several ideas in my head.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 13, 2010, 10:09:15 pm »

IthinkIknowwhatmysolutionwouldbe.  Hahahahhaa.
I think I know what my solution to your solution would be.

Quote from: Ruleset
No being a smartass about any other rules on this list.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 13, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »

Quote from: Ruleset
No being a smartass about any other rules on this list.

... Yeah, whatever.  My point is that frankly, it looks like you're going to be making people save part of their wordcount and avoid posting in case something interesting goes down.

Dunno.  I was talking to someone once who suggested that the scum have a wincon of getting the thread to a certain length, with only a certain number of consecutive posts/no junk posts allowed.  That might be neat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:58 pm »

That's kindof the point.  It's more to see if its possible to scumhunt more concisely (think irc).

It'd probably be "limited number of words per post" (to reduce the need to wordclip) and "limited number of posts per day" or something like that.  I have actually seen a game with that before... I remember it because there was a role in it that would delete ALL of a players posts as a one shot night action.  Nasty.

Mish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 14, 2010, 12:33:03 am »

Maybe set it up as a number of words per post, and can't post again till two others have.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:34 pm »

No, because that wouldn't limit the explosion of posts in a game like BYOR Panda.

Maybe have the winner be fewest words/posts or whatever in the case of a town win. However, you need to post content every RL day. Posting a bazillion things would either mark you as scum/third party who doesn't care about "In case of a town win" or as a townie who wants a town win but not him/herself to win. Only one post per day, however, would be nonproductive, and other people would want to lynch you to save their own asses from the "Only one townie can win" condition. Alternatively, the fewest posts per day with content would get the only town night abilities, perhaps a One shot inspect with (sometimes) Night kill immunity, etc.

Peer regulation is better than mod regulation, imo, because it is so much more dynamic.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 14, 2010, 12:38:04 pm »

I've been tossing around ideas in my head for a post-powered mafia.  It'd be different than a post restriction mafia in that people's posts influence their role power.  For an example, loot at my BYOT role- every two times I posted a pun, I got an extra vote, and was NK immune if anyone punned in response.  It could have roles where you could only target your night action at someone who quoted you, and other examples like that.  Would there be any interest?
I would indeed be interested. Would this have the same role-change conditions for everyone, or would each person have different conditions?

If it's the same for everyone, the conditions for changing your role would have to be hidden so as to avoid people taking advantage of the role-changes, and if there were multiple games like that, they'd have to have different role-change conditions to avoid people taking advantage of known role-change conditions. And each condition would need to have different results.

I think that you'd need to make it clear that there are no quoting-caused role-changes. Otherwise, nobody will quote anyone and it will be very difficult to know what people are referencing or talking about. That kind of thing makes me not want to play a game.

This reminds me of a game Dak ran about a year ago now (I remember playing it while I was with family for Thanksgiving) where stuff you said in italics lightly affected your role. It also reminds me of some of the roles in BYORC, another Dak-run game.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 14, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »

The other options is the old "Lynch All Lurkers" mafia.

Basically, if a mafia member goes 24 hours without posting, they get a point (goes into a collective pool with all other mafia members).
If the mafia spends 3 points, they can get an extra nightkill.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00:08 pm »

The other options is the old "Lynch All Lurkers" mafia.

Basically, if a mafia member goes 24 hours without posting, they get a point (goes into a collective pool with all other mafia members).
If the mafia spends 3 points, they can get an extra nightkill.
But the objective was originally to devise a way to encourage lower posting, ergo more efficient hunting, without causing lurkers like myself to lurk.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 14, 2010, 04:24:37 pm »

Woah woah woah, you guys are trying to DECREASE the number of posts? What the fuck? We have a lurker problem, not a "BYOR:Pand style too much activity" problem. If a max word limit goes into place, I'm going to ignore it. I'm not going to go out of my way to break it or anything, I'm just not going to handcuff myself because the mod doesn't feel like reading more than X words a day because he/she is really fucking lazy. And if I get modkilled for playing the game well, then perhaps it's not me with the problem. That's not even getting into the fact that a player might have to rewrite their post just to remove a couple dozen words, wasting far more time than just reading them would of taken in the first place. It's a stupid idea, both in theory and in practice.

Now, limiting the size of a quote tower or whatever, that makes sense. Some of them have gotten pretty crazy and so big they're useless. Splitting posts is very reasonable if it improves readability. Also, I don't think you should be allowed to quote a post if it already contains a quote quoting a quote quoting a quote (limit quote towers to three posts, in other words). Quote towers are just stupid. Go through and remove the extra quote(s) and everything will be fine. If somebody cares, they can always click the link and read the post for themselves.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 14, 2010, 04:30:13 pm »

Woah woah woah, you guys are trying to DECREASE the number of posts? What the fuck? We have a lurker problem, not a "BYOR:Pand style too much activity" problem. If a max word limit goes into place, I'm going to ignore it. I'm not going to go out of my way to break it or anything, I'm just not going to handcuff myself because the mod doesn't feel like reading more than X words a day because he/she is really fucking lazy. And if I get modkilled for playing the game well, then perhaps it's not me with the problem. That's not even getting into the fact that a player might have to rewrite their post just to remove a couple dozen words, wasting far more time than just reading them would of taken in the first place. It's a stupid idea, both in theory and in practice.

Now, limiting the size of a quote tower or whatever, that makes sense. Some of them have gotten pretty crazy and so big they're useless. Splitting posts is very reasonable if it improves readability. Also, I don't think you should be allowed to quote a post if it already contains a quote quoting a quote quoting a quote (limit quote towers to three posts, in other words). Quote towers are just stupid. Go through and remove the extra quote(s) and everything will be fine. If somebody cares, they can always click the link and read the post for themselves.
100% agree.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 108