Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 108

Author Topic: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!  (Read 141094 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: [DISCUSSION] Mafia Gametypes: Hash 'em out here!
« Reply #885 on: July 15, 2011, 11:36:44 pm »

Careful on those massclaims breaking the game, though with 21 boards that's enough for some given safeclaims.

Some of the crazier boards could be third party.

Or better yet, just randomize the scum ones so Mafia could be town.

(GD is Jester)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »

Curses would be a roleblock.
Modding would be like the paranormal enchanter?

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 15, 2011, 11:51:17 pm »

SK, of course!
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:51 am »

I've had alot of ideas for mafia games lately, but unfortunately due to the fact im not exactely well known on the Mafia subforums no one would really join any of the games I run :P

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 16, 2011, 12:06:01 am »

I've had alot of ideas for mafia games lately, but unfortunately due to the fact im not exactely well known on the Mafia subforums no one would really join any of the games I run :P

Get a co-mod, man!  If you've got a good idea and want to run with it, please do.  We need to train up the next generation of mods, too.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 16, 2011, 12:23:23 am »

Well I guess I could try to get Darvi to help me out, we are bastard bro's after all. I was also thinking about doing a second run of Liberal Crime Squad mafia, since that setup is awesome.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 16, 2011, 08:34:58 am »

So this would be... Bay 12 Subforums Mafia (as opposed to the Bay 12 Mafia Subforum Mafia variant I ran a while ago)?  Could be interesting.  Do make sure you give the scum safeclaims though (I think that'd be preferable to having nonsensical alignments).

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 17, 2011, 02:37:45 am »

Another game idea could be that each player sends in a role from a past mafia game, that role will be sent out to someone other than the player who sent it in (and modified if needed.). Could provide some interesting gameplay, especially if people choose roles from the past BYOR's.
Welcome to Reality.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 17, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »

Another game idea could be that each player sends in a role from a past mafia game, that role will be sent out to someone other than the player who sent it in (and modified if needed.). Could provide some interesting gameplay, especially if people choose roles from the past BYOR's.

Didn't somebody have this idea before? I'm not even sure, but it's a good idea nonetheless.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 18, 2011, 01:00:27 am »

Running a game like that actually wouldn't be to hard, it would probally be best for the player's to send in 3 roles each and then we pick from them though. Anyone want to possibley co-mod this with me?
Welcome to Reality.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »

Sounds interesting, but relies on a player having done a BYOR before to be able to play.

Just a quick idea that's probably really not a good one. Twin mafia, where two players play the same person. Say there was 14 people who signed up. That means 7 teams, and 7 roles. It'd have 2 mafia, same chance of cop/doc/roleblocker/godfather as vanilla. But it would get very interesting very fast.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 19, 2011, 10:38:29 pm »

Or they could just re-read a past BYOR. Its not that hard, since most people put all of the roles on the front page at the end of the game.
Welcome to Reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 19, 2011, 10:38:40 pm »

Sounds interesting, but relies on a player having done a BYOR before to be able to play.

. . . How so?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 19, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »

Oh derp. I misread it as one of your roles from a past game instead of A role from a past game. >.>
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 25, 2011, 07:46:53 pm »

Ok, so... Clue(do) Mafia.  This has been whizzing around my head in various incarnations for too long.

So, the basic idea is to have the 6 characters, 6 weapons and 9 rooms that the game has*.  Day phases would work much like a standard mafia dayphase, with one exception.  Nights, however, would be pretty different.  They'd be divided up into sections, in which people would be running around the rooms, investigating, finding evidence, murdering etc.

Incidentally, you'd really, really need a co-mod for this.  And probably a special mod quickchat to keep track of everything and make sure it keeps running smoothly.  And 6 very reliable players.
Spoiler: Day to day cycle (click to show/hide)
So, in summary: culprit runs around killing people and possibly creating elaborate plans while everyone else runs around investigating and possibly trying to mess with the culprit.  Nonlethal attacks and potentially incriminating evidence creates huge WIFOM and framing potential.

This ruleset is obviously vague and imperfect (and probably suffers from several breaking strategies... I might just have to put a hard restriction on attempting to coordinate furture night actions with other players).  I mean, I haven't even got on to witnessing stuff happening and things... but I feel a gametype like this could be pretty fun.  I'd definitely appreciate feedback on the stuff I have got, though.

*Although since I'd really prefer to keep it to 1 culprit 6 people would probably make it staggeringly difficult for scum even on a nightstart.  Maybe 2 culprits (still with only one murder between them) and town has to lynch right every time due to the huge amount of information that comes out each night?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 108